Ryan8700
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
PIN: GPONG
Carrier: Rogers Wireless
Default Getting annoyed with loading!

Please Login to Remove!

Hi everyone...

Am I the only one who sometimes (many times, actually) gets that little black "loading" icon while in the browser, that appears for about 3 seconds, disappears for 1 second, appears for another 3, and so on?

It's VERY annoying and usually results in my pulling the battery out in frustration because not only can I not use the browser but I can't even end the application or lock the phone.

Thanks

Last edited by Ryan8700; 10-10-2008 at 08:05 PM..
Old 10-10-2008, 08:15 PM   #2
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Model: iP4S
Carrier: Verizon

So far, I haven't had this happen. Are you running the latest OS, or the OS that shipped with the device?

Semper Fi 3/2/2
"Wow" is now overused. Therefore, I will use "Magic bananas" instead.
Old 10-10-2008, 08:18 PM   #3
Ryan8700

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifonline View Post
So far, I haven't had this happen. Are you running the latest OS, or the OS that shipped with the device?
I haven't yet upgraded to OS .168 due to an issue I had last week while I was updating my dad's Curve, the BB disconnected during the update process and I ended up with a major "fatal" JVM error. Not to mention the fact that, after pulling out the battery due to the issue above, I noticed that many icons were not appearing. So I took the battery out again, turned it back on, to a wonderful little JVM Error 205. Luckily after pressing reset (twice) it's back to normal.

Should I upgrade? I'm scared!
Old 10-10-2008, 08:27 PM   #4
ifonline
Magic Bananas

I assume you have a Rogers Bold that came with .125 installed? If so, I believe the overwhelming opinion is upgrade... immediately. The latest "official" OS is .162, I believe. That is what I am running on my Bold and (knock on wood) so far, so good.

Just be patient with the upgrade. It shouldn't give you fits. Oh, and make sure you are running version 4.6 of the Desktop Manager. May not be required (don't know for sure), but it doesn't hurt to be current with your software across the board.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
Old 10-10-2008, 08:43 PM   #5
Ryan8700

Okay, do you have a direct link for the latest Rogers software?
Old 10-10-2008, 08:45 PM   #6
ifonline
Magic Bananas

You can use any carrier's OS. At the top of the BlackBerry Bold forums, there is a link to the latest OS:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...-eastasia.html

Additionally, the latest OS for Rogers specifically (it's the exact same OS as linked above), can be found here:

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...C068A355BBA31A

Semper Fi 3/2/2
Old 10-10-2008, 09:09 PM   #7
Ryan8700

Ok thanks. Almost done uploading, although I predict a fatal error... as, again, right near the end of the installation, I heard the "do-do" noise as if a USB was disconnected from the computer, and the other "do-do" as if it was reconnected, (it did this a few times) and now the installer says "Connecting to device". Is this normal? It's taking forever. This is going to be a lonnnnng night. Hopefully I dont get another fatal error.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:12 PM   #8
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Yes. Normal. When I did mine a few hours ago, it sat on "connecting to device" for quite a while. For whatever reason, the Bold had a blank screen and the red light was solid (like it was frozen). Once Desktop Manager said it couldn't find the device, I unplugged the Bold, pulled the battery, let it sit for a few seconds, put the battery back in, and plugged it back into USB. I then chose "retry" from the dialog on Desktop Manager, the Bold connected after a few minutes, and I got a message that everything was successful. No errors, and no ill side-effects.

Overall, I think it took a little over an hour from start to finish. I figure my hung Bold was due to my running Vista via VMWare Fusion on my Mac, but I don't know.

Semper Fi 3/2/2

Last edited by ifonline; 10-10-2008 at 09:14 PM..
Old 10-10-2008, 09:41 PM   #9
Ryan8700

Quote:
Yes. Normal. When I did mine a few hours ago, it sat on "connecting to device" for quite a while. For whatever reason, the Bold had a blank screen and the red light was solid (like it was frozen). Once Desktop Manager said it couldn't find the device, I unplugged the Bold, pulled the battery, let it sit for a few seconds, put the battery back in, and plugged it back into USB. I then chose "retry" from the dialog on Desktop Manager, the Bold connected after a few minutes, and I got a message that everything was successful. No errors, and no ill side-effects.

Overall, I think it took a little over an hour from start to finish. I figure my hung Bold was due to my running Vista via VMWare Fusion on my Mac, but I don't know.
Thanks for your help. Luckily it didn't get an error and the install was a success.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:46 PM   #10
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Yay! Glad to hear it worked out. Now, try out that browser and see if it works better. It's still a pretty bad browser, but it should, at least, work better than before.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
Old 10-10-2008, 10:25 PM   #11
Ryan8700

Quote:
Yay! Glad to hear it worked out. Now, try out that browser and see if it works better. It's still a pretty bad browser, but it should, at least, work better than before.
Hmm it's hard to tell because for some reason it's not connecting to WiFi... so I only have EDGE available right now. It did at least seem to stop showing the little loading thing.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:36 PM   #12
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Good. Not sure what's wrong with your WiFi. Mine is working here at the house, so I would suggest that either settings on the Bold or the router might be in conflict. The Bold should otherwise be working just fine on WiFi.

Maybe get some sleep and tackle the WiFi in the morning? Fresh pair of eyes, you know?

Semper Fi 3/2/2
Old 10-11-2008, 11:29 AM   #13
Ryan8700

Quote:
Good. Not sure what's wrong with your WiFi. Mine is working here at the house, so I would suggest that either settings on the Bold or the router might be in conflict. The Bold should otherwise be working just fine on WiFi.

Maybe get some sleep and tackle the WiFi in the morning? Fresh pair of eyes, you know?
Thanks ifonline, I fell asleep on the couch and when I woke up it was connected to WiFi. I still notice the loader thing but it seems to be a bit better at least.
Old 10-11-2008, 11:31 AM   #14
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Well there you go. Don't forget that the browser on the BlackBerry is pretty bad, so the loading indicator might not ever go away completely.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
Old 10-11-2008, 07:12 PM   #15
kjaslow

Model: 9800
Carrier: Telstra

I noticed that when I was not locked into a wi-fi signal, or if I went to the edge of where I could catch the signal, I got the hourglass (watch) a lot, and it sort of took over everything. So, when I'm not attempting to get on a wifi spot, I turn off my wifi (which is better for the battery anyway). I've still had at least one occasion when I got a mysterious hourglass, considering that I had closed nearly ever other application. I suppose the one thing I didn't turn off was GPS, but I don't expect that to ever give me an hourglass. Anyway, turning off wifi is certainly one possible thing to do to avoid the hourglass...I'm sure there are still others...
Closed Thread