BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 11:30 AM   #141
olly666
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Please Login to Remove!

Cheers, good to know this thread hasn't been abandoned!
Old 10-02-2008, 11:42 AM   #142
audit
Whoever

Model: xxxx
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyDBrown View Post
I do not want to miss anyone. This is the last call to PM me your donation confirmations from PayPal. I will give everyone until the 10 of October.
I sent mine to you and I don't have the email anymore.

Win or Lose... Everyone Has Their Fight
Old 10-03-2008, 05:10 PM   #143
KimMazz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon

Quote:
I do not want to miss anyone. This is the last call to PM me your donation confirmations from PayPal. I will give everyone until the 10 of October.
I sent mine to you by PM but never received any confirmation that you got it and that it's what you needed. I am going to assume it was OK since I heard nothing back, is that right?
Old 10-04-2008, 07:35 AM   #144
wingrider78
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8320

Wirelessly posted (8320 Titanium)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimMazz
Quote:
I sent mine to you by PM but never received any confirmation that you got it and that it's what you needed. I am going to assume it was OK since I heard nothing back, is that right?
Same here, I sent mine long ago and never heard anything as a confirmation, so I am assuming its okay.
Old 10-14-2008, 01:03 PM   #145
olly666

Quote:
And the winners are...?
Old 10-16-2008, 05:16 PM   #146
holden
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
PIN: TOFJAGER
Carrier: Cingular-AT&T-Verizon-Nextel

Ok, So how is our Friends and Family doing??

What is the final tally again?? (I think I will need to look back and excuse me if this has been posted....!)

H.
Old 10-16-2008, 05:19 PM   #147
DacyJ

Model: 9000
PIN: g Bomb!
Carrier: The Newest AT&T

Wirelessly posted (by a fat naked guy!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by holden
Ok, So how is our Friends and Family doing??

What is the final tally again?? (I think I will need to look back and excuse me if this has been posted....!)

H.
I believe everything is going ok with the house.
Old 10-19-2008, 08:12 PM   #148
hnsimpson

Model: 8130
PIN: pm me for it
Carrier: Verizon

Congratulations to all the winners!

-simpson

-Young MC
Old 10-19-2008, 08:32 PM   #149
Scarlett
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsimpson View Post
Congratulations to all the winners!

-simpson
Where are the winners posted?
Old 10-20-2008, 01:27 AM   #150
olly666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlett View Post
Seconded
Old 10-20-2008, 11:36 AM   #151
holden

PIN: TOFJAGER
Carrier: Cingular-AT&T-Verizon-Nextel

Quote:
Originally Posted by olly666 View Post
Seconded
I make a motion to display the winners....
Old 10-20-2008, 09:39 PM   #152
hnsimpson

Model: 8130
PIN: pm me for it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlett View Post
They're not...I was threadcrapping.

-simpson

-Young MC
Old 10-23-2008, 09:32 AM   #153
sharpycl

Model: Lu920
PIN: is where your heart is
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by holden View Post
I make a motion to display the winners....
me 2. i second that motion.
Old 10-25-2008, 03:42 PM   #154
olly666

Okay, I think I'm just going to say what everyone seems to be thinking... This thread began on August 15th (2+ months ago). The deadline for donations was September 7th (1 1/2+ months ago). The original prize drawing was set for the weekend of September 12th-13th, and then a new date of October 10th...there has been various chatter since then but nothing concrete.

Please don't see this as a rant or complaint of any kind, I just feel that we were promised something, but haven't received it.

Again, PLEASE don't see this posting negatively, I'm noticing others are getting a little anxious too.

Thanks... And good job to everyone who donated, and best wishes to the un-named member!

Last edited by olly666; 10-25-2008 at 03:45 PM..
Old 10-27-2008, 12:26 PM   #155
wingrider78
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8320

Quote:
Originally Posted by olly666 View Post
Please don't see this as a rant or complaint of any kind, I just feel that we were promised something, but haven't received it.
Olly, I agree. In most situations when people are promised something after giving money and never receive anything, THAT IS CALLED A SCAM. I hate to say it, but to me this seems like a scam. I just re-read the original post and there is nothing about actually DRAWING the names out that were entered. Only the promise of being entered into a drawing. Seems fishy to me. Maybe I should start a thread and ask for money with the promise that everyone will be entered to win a brand new Lexus....

NickfromIL hasn't posted on BBF since 08/30/08, hasn't been back since all the money was raised....hasn't been on BBB since 09/24/08.

TroyDBrown is actually on BBF right now and hasn't answered this thread in close to a month.....

"At this time, the member in need wishes to remain anonymous." that was written in the OP, apparently the theif would like to still remain anonymous, wouldn't you?
Old 10-27-2008, 01:43 PM   #156
nchavez
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: ATA

Wow, I hope that this isn't a scam. I have heard of such things before, but this would be tragic. When you factor in today's economy on top of that and all the money that us (including myself) contributed would be totaly sad in the end. Hopefully soon someone will respond with some answers.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:15 PM   #157
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

NickfromIL, the original poster, has had some personal issues, all of which I am not aware. As was pointed out, he has not been around lately, but he has been in communication over this period of time.

The family for which the thread was started is still in their home, and have definitely experienced some hardship in keeping their home, even now. There was no scam on the part of any individual misleading anyone about the needs of this BBF member or their financial needs at the time.

NickfromIL is unavailable to distribute the prizes, but the drawing will be held and winner(s) announced.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:16 PM   #158
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

Ok, BBF friends, here is a the current status of this deal:

NickfromIL, i.e., Nick Amsbaugh, started this thread here on BBF and simultaneously at two other BlackBerry forum sites (CrackBerry.com and BlackBerryBoards.com) all about the same time.

FIRST off, some notes: This "fundraiser" was not a part of BlackBerryForums.com, not sanctioned, not approved by nor managed by this Forum (or any of those listed above). It was the idea of the individual above and the funds were collected by him, to be forwarded to the individual in need.

AS OF TODAY, October 28, 2008, no funds have been transferred to the individual for which the funds were raised. As far as we know, NickfromIL has divereted the funds raised to his own use.

When I first saw this thread posted by NickfromIL, I immediately inquired about the need of the individual and that individual's identity, just for my own verification of the need. Learning that, I knew there was need involved, and dropped my contribution in the hat, along with many others from this Forum and the others.

Fast forward a month or so: Nick reported in the thread the total of about $1500, and became somewhat more allusive to communicate with. A couple of other members here and another Moderator, TroyDBrown, made efforts to communicate with him and they received less than immediate answers and less than satisfactory responses that the funds had been transferred to the individual in need. NickfromIL at that time also communicated with the individual in need promising an electronic bank transfer, but that never occurred, or at least, was declined by the originating bank on two occasions.

About the end of October, TroyDBrown forwarded to me a timeline of these events with all the details as he recalled them. I have forwarded this information to an attorney in Illinois for simple advice as to what step should be taken next (criminal charges, civil, bloodletting, etc). My attorney there has been out of state for two weeks and I will speak further with him this or next week after his return.

None of us know totally where or what Nick planned to get prizes from for this giveaway. One of those we do know, HorizonWirelessOnline has stated they will certainly provide the "prizes" as promised. So, a drawing of those who have PM'ed TroyDBrown will be entered into a drawing soon. We don't know when, but those of us are at least trying to rectify some wrong here.

The loser in this sad episode is the individual who did need the funds. He is ok now. He could certainly use the funds, and God can work miracles (and so can Clemenza or Tessio, for that matter!).

The bottom line is this:

Yes, there was a scam, we were all scammed by NickfromIL.

No, the matter is not closed. Legal routes are being sought, both criminal fraud and civil.

Yes, the drawing will be held, in some fashion.

Feel free to PM me with questions or if you have information, or receipts of your donation (paypal receipts) to TroyDBrown.

Last edited by John Clark; 10-28-2008 at 06:36 PM..
Old 10-28-2008, 07:28 PM   #159
Horizon Wireless
Platinum Sponsor

Model: 9920
PIN: 3218B513
Carrier: ROGERS AND FIDO

For the record, as stated above by Joey, none of us knew this was going to happen. We all trusted Nick and it turned out to be a nightmare. He preyed on all our generosity, seeing how we get together whenever a member is in trouble and capitalized on that which is very very wrong. Its sad that he did that, and wrong on so many levels. I donated quite a bit, too embarrassed to say how much actually. We will get some prizes together for you folks and will do a proper giveaway. And please, dont let this circumstance jade you in anyway. Most of the folks here are nice and honest. But theres a rotten apple in every bunch. Dont let this make up your minds that all charities are BS or scams, because every other one thats gone on here before actually helped people. Remember last christmas? We raised over 1000.00, and it went to the charity of your choice. We hope to do that again this holiday season. What about Audits house? We helped him get back on his feet after he had that tragedy. What about the breast cancer fund? All those went to REAL charities, or people in need, and helped people more than you know.

Last edited by Horizon Wireless; 10-28-2008 at 07:29 PM..
Old 10-28-2008, 07:30 PM   #160
zerog46
iPhone Mod!

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW Bold

It does suck but like anything else we have to move on. You live and learn.