Closed Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 01:06 PM   #21
DrPepper4Me
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

I'm actually on the $69.99 family plan. I don't know if the primary phone on that would be eligible for it or not... I would think so..

Going to run by the store now during lunch and find out. Will post back here shortly if I get any info that may help anyone else....
Old 11-20-2008, 01:29 PM   #22
TheBigNewt
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: Tmobile

I don't know if it's going to happen with the Storm, but in the Bold 9000 thread a lot of ATT people who were not eligible for an upgrade did in fact get a Bold at the upgrade price with a 2 year extension. That didn't happen right away of course, but within a few days of the release they did get it. Their initial price was $300 but now it's $200 (with MIR and some Visa cash card they send you). The Bold regular price was about $500 like the Storm. I always though I should wait a week and see what's out there online, etc, after the initial flurry of buyers is satisfied.
Old 11-20-2008, 02:01 PM   #23
DrPepper4Me

I just got back from the Verizon Store.

My contract is not up until 11/2009.

However, I am eligible for an "early upgrade" where I can get the promotional pricing and sign a new 2 year contract. Apparently they just don't advertise that.

Both men at the store (one was the manager) told me they would not be allowing anyone who had more than 1 year on their contract to upgrade to the Storm at a discounted price.

They had two Storms on display, so it was the first time I got my hands on one. I went through several applications with it...

I no longer want it. I don't want to talk bad about it and ruin it for anyone else excited about it.. but I was disappointed. I've never been a fan of touch-screen devices, and this one was no exception. Typing is just too slow....
Old 11-20-2008, 03:07 PM   #24
KimMazz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by crucifixion View Post
-At the end of the day I will have got the Storm for $199, but also paid about $250 after two years for that second line for a total of $450. As opposed to buying a Storm outright right now for $500 or so?

Is that what I'm looking at?
I am in the same spot and I do believe your math is correct. It would end up saving you about $50 . That's if the storm retails for $500. If it retails for $600, then it's another $100 for you to spend outright.

I think I am just going to play with the phone and buy it outright. My question is, if I don't like it can I return it for a full refund within the 30 days?
Old 11-20-2008, 06:52 PM   #25
Motavi
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 83300
Carrier: ATT

so actually how much would is cost me outright if I am a new customer and wanted the Storm?
Old 11-20-2008, 06:58 PM   #26
TheBigNewt

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimMazz View Post
I think I am just going to play with the phone and buy it outright. My question is, if I don't like it can I return it for a full refund within the 30 days?
I think so, they may hit you a restocking fee if you return it. Ask to be sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motavi View Post
so actually how much would is cost me outright if I am a new customer and wanted the Storm?
$200 with a 2 year contract if you do it right away. If you wait a bit who knows. It may go down from online vendors, nobody knows yet.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:01 PM   #27
tommyk42

Carrier: T-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motavi View Post
199 before taxes @ best buy
Old 11-20-2008, 07:21 PM   #28
mulvisaur

Model: none
Default early upgrade

i have a 2 year contract signed in 10/07 and i was told that there is an "early upgrade" option that will only cost me $20 to get the 2 year rate - its worth asking your rep if you qualify. $20 is better than $120!
Old 11-20-2008, 07:58 PM   #29
jnyost
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9550

Quote:
Originally Posted by branley View Post
I was wondering if that would work. I wouldn't mind having the 3rd line for my son, and as little as he would use it, I wouldn't need to up my plan's minutes (we have more than enough). Unfortunately, trying to get answers from cell phone people is like pulling teeth.
I did that with my Pearl. I ordered the phone on the second line and then went in the next day to have it switched to my number. It takes 24 hours before they can switch it around.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:04 PM   #30
StuartV
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9550

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by crucifixion
Quote:
Originally Posted by complexx View Post
Couple options:
1. terminate contract, spend 175 bucks, lose your phone number. open new contract, with new phone number and blackberry data plan.
2. add a line for 9.99/mo, with blackberry data plan, cancel your old blackberry data plan, do a phone number swap. (the data plan is attached to the phone, not the phone number, I believe this is correct)(you can cancel a data plan/txt message plan/etc. at any time with no additional fee)

Those are you two options.
I just bought a Dare back in August so I'm in this boat. Had a Pearl previously, and am really missing the blackberry lifestyle.

So say I do this add a line for 9.99 deal.
This is what I'm looking at:
-Buy a Storm from Verizon for $199 and have it be a $9.99 add a line, but I also have to pay $30 for the data plan.
-Do a number swap between my Storm and Dare so I can have the Storm be my normal number
-Downgrade all the plans on the LG like removing the data plan so that the monthly plan is only $9.99 for the bare minimum.
-So now I have a Storm for $199; Paying for the data and other options like I was doing before with the Dare, but I also have a new phone number in the Dare that is costing me $9.99 per month and I am stuck in a 2 year contract, so thats $250 or so over two years at $9.99 per month. My wife already has a phone and we have no kids, so this $9.99 phone will do us no use and its wasted money.
-At the end of the day I will have got the Storm for $199, but also paid about $250 after two years for that second line for a total of $450. As opposed to buying a Storm outright right now for $500 or so?

Is that what I'm looking at?
No. If you got your Dare in August, then you'd be in for $200 plus $210 over the next 21 months.
Verizon 9550
Old 11-21-2008, 10:59 AM   #31
papageno19

Model: 9530

Keep in mind though, that if you currently have only one line you will have to change to a family plan so it may end up costing a lot more, or it may not depending on your plan. For instance if you have a 39.99 individual plan you would have to go to a 69.99 plan minimum so thats 30 bucks extra a month instead of 9.99. If you already have a family share plan its not a bad idea to do this and add the line for 10 bucks then do an ESN swap.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:42 AM   #32
jskolm85
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I was just at the Verizon Store also. The Sales reps there said they cannot do anything for me either. I have an 8330 BB on a Family Share plan already. Our upgrades are LONG off though, 01/2010. I did the math also, cancel plan, sign new plan pay fees.. blah blah... and yeah, it's about $350... or just pay $499 retail for the phone. The third line is an option too, but then it's $9.99 (PLUS taxes and regulation fees.. so more like $14.99 on that third line).... I am still up in the air on the phone in general though.

But I would extend my current contract even if I could get the discount price, not just reset it, but actually extend it... They don't allow that unfortunately.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:53 AM   #33
TheBigNewt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jskolm85 View Post
I was just at the Verizon Store also. The Sales reps there said they cannot do anything for me either. I have an 8330 BB on a Family Share plan already. Our upgrades are LONG off though, 01/2010. I did the math also, cancel plan, sign new plan pay fees.. blah blah... and yeah, it's about $350... or just pay $499 retail for the phone. The third line is an option too, but then it's $9.99 (PLUS taxes and regulation fees.. so more like $14.99 on that third line).... I am still up in the air on the phone in general though.

But I would extend my current contract even if I could get the discount price, not just reset it, but actually extend it... They don't allow that unfortunately.
Like I said before: WAIT. They won't do it at the stores because there would be mayhem/confusion between customers that are/arent' eligible for an upgrade discount. But online it's different, usually cheaper, to get a new phone with a discount. Ask the Bold people. They stormed the stores the first day and upgraded for $300 and bought new at $550 only to find they could have saved a hundred or more online no matter if they were eligible or not.