BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 12:41 PM   #1
sphbecker

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon
Default GMail POP vs IMAP

Please Login to Remove!

I have done a few searches and found information that may or may not be out dated. I am trying to figure out what is the best method of setting up BIS to access gmail.

From what I can tell BIS will default to POP unless you use the method of providing a blank password and going to manual setup. POP gives real-time email notification where IMAP can be delaied up to 15 minutes. POP only syncs one-way deletes from the blackberry to the mailbox but IMAP syncs deletes and reads (still just one-way).

Is that the experance others are getting??? I was really hoping for real-time IMAP like Yahoo has, but from what I can tell GMail doesn't have it yet.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:10 PM   #2
jessessayss
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon

I would recommend IMAP aka smart POP because it also brings in subfolders and it is a little more robust than POP. To my knowledge the party (gmail, yahoo, etc) should have no effect on how often updates on emails are sent out as it should rely on the smtp server.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:42 PM   #3
tbhuang2
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8130
Carrier: Sprint

sphbecker, your information is entirely correct.
In my opinion, I need the read/unread syncing capability. I get lots of emails everyday and to have to re-mark every single one as read again on the Gmail site is a major inconvenience. 15 minute polling is a cost that is very unideal considering AOL, Yahoo, and some others' IMAP emails provide full push, but I suppose it's still better than nothing..
-Threaded SMS
Old 11-22-2008, 12:25 AM   #4
rwireless
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Bell

Is the 15 minute delay only in receiving when using imap?
Old 11-22-2008, 09:13 AM   #5
dualsub2006

Model: Droid
PIN: Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbhuang2 View Post
sphbecker, your information is entirely correct.
In my opinion, I need the read/unread syncing capability. I get lots of emails everyday and to have to re-mark every single one as read again on the Gmail site is a major inconvenience. 15 minute polling is a cost that is very unideal considering AOL, Yahoo, and some others' IMAP emails provide full push, but I suppose it's still better than nothing..
Given that there is no real solution to the whole IMAP issue with Gmail, I keep my business email (Google Apps hosted) set up through BIS for push mail, but I also have that account and my personal Gmail accounts set up in the Gmail application for actual reading and replying. The Gmail app does offer status changes online and it also allows access to all labels and contacts.

All of that said, I have a Gmail account that I use for my hobby interests set up as IMAP through BIS as a test. That account for the last several days has been getting new mail notifications in under 30 seconds and read status has been updating online instantly. This isn't the first time that this has happened only to see the features go away so I am not going to set my accounts up as IMAP yet, but right at the moment it is working for me.

Given the all mail search, label access and contact access (I have different sets of contacts in different accounts) that the Gmail app provides I can't see me ever ditching it for BIS, but until the Gmail app offers instant notifications I'll use both together.
Old 11-22-2008, 01:13 PM   #6
misterb
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: cingular

Last month, we were getting full push with Gmail through IMAP. Hopefully it will be back soon!
Old 11-22-2008, 01:24 PM   #7
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessessayss View Post
I would recommend IMAP aka smart POP because it also brings in subfolders.
Nope, not on the BB it doesn't. All you get is the inbox.
Old 11-23-2008, 03:45 AM   #8
tbhuang2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwireless View Post
Is the 15 minute delay only in receiving when using imap?
Yes, the delay only pertains to receiving new emails.
-Threaded SMS
Old 11-23-2008, 07:20 AM   #9
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800c
Carrier: Cingular

I have a google hosted account and a standard gmail account. With many of the large email providers there is no longer a delay. When I press send on my corporate email, I have the email on my blackberry in about one minute. gmail, aol, msn, yahoo, godaddy and I'm sure others have virtually no delay.
I'm also using IMAP and while not perfect, it is better than pop. I'll probably try the gmail application when I get a chance.

Regards-Michael G.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:20 AM   #10
dualsub2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessessayss View Post
I would recommend IMAP aka smart POP because it also brings in subfolders and it is a little more robust than POP. To my knowledge the party (gmail, yahoo, etc) should have no effect on how often updates on emails are sent out as it should rely on the smtp server.
The only way to access your labels (folders) in a Gmail account is to use the Gmail application. Simply setting up your account through BIS as an IMAP account will not load your labels on to your BlackBerry.
Old 11-23-2008, 12:04 PM   #11
sphbecker

I did a little more research. The IMAP "push" requires both BIS and IMAP server to support the IMAP command IDLE. This was added to BIS a few months ago, at that time all the big email providers supported it. More recently Google removed or broke the feature which forces BIS to go back to checking every 15 minutes. I hope this is something Google fixes soon. I would hate to think they intently remove it to give their new Mobile OS a competitive advantage.
Old 11-23-2008, 12:12 PM   #12
mas90guru
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800

I added in my Gmail account about a week ago -- via BIS -- just typed in my email and password. I've been getting Gmail (I use the apps for domain) via push ever since.

It's equal to or faster than the web.

Prior to the BlackBerry Bold I had a Curve on T-Mo and it also received push email via GMAIL.

I have maybe one or two days where for a portion of the day the mail didn't push. Other than that I've not noticed a lag for native Gmail.

The one area that DOES lag is if your GMAIL account is in turn polling other POP email accounts. THOSE do lag for me (I have one additional email polled via GMAIL).

fwiw
Old 11-24-2008, 04:21 PM   #13
sphbecker

I did a little more research. The IMAP "push" feature requires IMAP IDLE support on both the client (in this case BIS) and server. All the major email providers offered IDLE on their services for some time, BIS just added it a few months ago. Shortly after they did Google broke or removed the IDLE support from their system. I hope this is a short term issues that gets resolved. I would hate to think that they intentionally cut it off to give their new mobile OS an artificial advantage accessing GMail.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:02 PM   #14
dualsub2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphbecker View Post
I did a little more research. The IMAP "push" feature requires IMAP IDLE support on both the client (in this case BIS) and server. All the major email providers offered IDLE on their services for some time, BIS just added it a few months ago. Shortly after they did Google broke or removed the IDLE support from their system. I hope this is a short term issues that gets resolved. I would hate to think that they intentionally cut it off to give their new mobile OS an artificial advantage accessing GMail.
What is your source of information when you state that "Google broke or removed the IDLE support"?

You've said it twice now and both times you are wrong. Gmail supports the IDLE command and does so quite well. My BIS accounts, Thunderbird and Outlook all work flawlessly so Google certainly has not broken or disabled IDLE in Gmail. During the times when my BIS accounts weren't working Outlook and Thunderbird were. That tells me that RIM is the one disabling support.

Your information is wrong and your conspiracy theory is misguided.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:56 AM   #15
sphbecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dualsub2006 View Post
What is your source of information when you state that "Google broke or removed the IDLE support"?

You've said it twice now and both times you are wrong. Gmail supports the IDLE command and does so quite well. My BIS accounts, Thunderbird and Outlook all work flawlessly so Google certainly has not broken or disabled IDLE in Gmail. During the times when my BIS accounts weren't working Outlook and Thunderbird were. That tells me that RIM is the one disabling support.

Your information is wrong and your conspiracy theory is misguided.
My source is a common sense rendering of these facts: 1) It worked for about a month and then stopped. 2) BIS IMAP IDLE still works just fine with all other email providers. 3) Google's help page specifically says they do not support the Blackberry as an email client (although they do provide setup instructions). I never said that Google intentionally broke the IDLE on the Blackberry as a fact; I only said I hoped that was not the case. The IDLE interaction between Google and BIS doesn't work correctly, take from that what you want.

You are right, it is only the Blackberry that has that problem, I didn't mean to imply IDLE wasn't working at all on GMail.

Last edited by sphbecker; 11-25-2008 at 08:58 AM..
Old 11-29-2008, 11:41 AM   #16
JSylvia007

Model: 9700
PIN: 2166B57D

Dear god i cant wait until GMail is "pushing" with IMAP again. I also believe that RIM broke something, not Google.
Proud consumer of the BlackBerry KoolAid!
Bold 9700 v5.0.0.423 - at&t - Pin: 2166B57D
Old 11-29-2008, 01:09 PM   #17
dualsub2006

Quote:
I never said that Google intentionally broke the IDLE on the Blackberry as a fact; I only said I hoped that was not the case.
Oh really? This seems to prove otherwise.
Quote:
Shortly after they did Google broke or removed the IDLE support from their system.
No matter. IMAP push through BIS is still working just fine for me and the other 3 BlackBerries in my house. I don't know if Google is intentionally allowing it or not, but it is working.
Old 11-29-2008, 01:25 PM   #18
JSylvia007

Model: 9700
PIN: 2166B57D

Wirelessly posted (8703e (Verizon Wireless))

GMail IMAP is working for me, but it is extremely delayed on receiving new email.

If I open a message once it has actually gotten to my device, its marked as read in GMail almost immediately.

It does, however, take almost 15 minutes to come to my blackberry in the first place.
Proud consumer of the BlackBerry KoolAid!
Bold 9700 v5.0.0.423 - at&t - Pin: 2166B57D
Old 11-29-2008, 04:55 PM   #19
tbhuang2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSylvia007 View Post
Wirelessly posted (8703e (Verizon Wireless))

GMail IMAP is working for me, but it is extremely delayed on receiving new email.

If I open a message once it has actually gotten to my device, its marked as read in GMail almost immediately.

It does, however, take almost 15 minutes to come to my blackberry in the first place.
Same for me and the vast majority of BIS Gmail IMAP users.
Dualsub, you're just very, very fortunate that you have it working for you.
-Threaded SMS
Old 11-29-2008, 05:28 PM   #20
dualsub2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbhuang2 View Post
Same for me and the vast majority of BIS Gmail IMAP users.
Dualsub, you're just very, very fortunate that you have it working for you.
I can't say how or why, but about 5 seconds after a message hits Outlook my BB dings as well. That is exactly 5 seconds slower than when I used POP on my BB, but it isn't all that bad either.
Closed Thread