Closed Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 01:44 PM   #61
woodenoxen

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT

Please Login to Remove!

8700 user for 2 years.

pre-ordered the storm, got it friday and hated it.

returned it saturday morning, got a bold and feel much better about it.

IF YOU ARE A POWER USER YOU WANT THE BOLD.

if you are coming from iphone or treo you're probably going to LOVE the storm.
Old 11-22-2008, 02:50 PM   #62
flash24
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9930
PIN: 3319688F
Carrier: Verizon

Ok people, if the lag was your main concern, it can definitely be fixed by a future OS upgrade. But I have to agree with most of you, typing was horrible on this device. I will take some time getting used to it, but I'd say good luck. Compare to my Curve, the ease of use for the Storm is a horrible 1 out of 10 (10 being the best). There are some positives, including the great looking screen, and an overall nice looking device. But I am not impress, just my opinion.

For those considering the Storm play with it first and don't jump on it right away, specially if your a heavy user.

I felt bad for my Girlfriend yesterday, she's been wanting this phone, but after testing it out yesterday, she was really disappointed.

Proud to Serve USAF
Old 11-22-2008, 02:56 PM   #63
SpeedFreak
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
Angry Wow the Stom is Horrible!! So long Horizon.

So I spent several sessions trying to get some good quality time with the Storm hoping it was just basically needing to adapt to it.

Well, that wasn't it, it's just plain sluggish, unresponsive and buggy. I mean several times the ui would not adapt to going from landscape to upright mode.

I would make a selection another option would popup. Windows would overlay each other not allowing me to close them one time. I mean the windows were stuck ontop of each other and wouldn't close

The ui is unintuitive, scrolling is really a joke compared to even an LG. The browser is no where near Safari on the iPhone.

In my opinion the 8830 is a better device and the Bold is so much better.

Seeing how ATT has both the Bold and the iPhone whatever choice I make leads me to leave Verizon. I know the network is a better but in terms of devices the Storm was a HUGE let down.

Last edited by SpeedFreak; 11-22-2008 at 04:04 PM..
Old 11-22-2008, 03:01 PM   #64
sammy_cda
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7130e

I went to the VZW store and played with the Storm. Was so unimpressed I walked across the street and bought an iPhone.

Played with the iPhone overnight and returned it to ATT this morning. It is a great phone but I have three issues with it that makes it a no-go. First, no copy and paste. Second, the Email application doesn't consolidate inboxes if one uses more than one email account like the BB does. I have 6 email accounts and thus, on the iPhone, 6 seperate email inboxes. Also, there is no way to mark all messages read. It's kinda of tough to scroll through 200 new messages and mark each one read seperately. Finally, the Calendar app doesn't sync subscribed calendars from my Mac's Mail application.

After all that, I reported my number to VZW and reinstalled everything on my Curve.
Old 11-22-2008, 03:28 PM   #65
jimmypowder

Model: 8100
Carrier: verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy_cda View Post
I went to the VZW store and played with the Storm. Was so unimpressed I walked across the street and bought an iPhone.

Played with the iPhone overnight and returned it to ATT this morning. It is a great phone but I have three issues with it that makes it a no-go. First, no copy and paste. Second, the Email application doesn't consolidate inboxes if one uses more than one email account like the BB does. I have 6 email accounts and thus, on the iPhone, 6 seperate email inboxes. Also, there is no way to mark all messages read. It's kinda of tough to scroll through 200 new messages and mark each one read seperately. Finally, the Calendar app doesn't sync subscribed calendars from my Mac's Mail application.

After all that, I reported my number to VZW and reinstalled everything on my Curve.
Yeah I can see if you have that many email accounts where the iphone could be a problem.Thats why i have one business email account and one personal
email account.Under that scenario the iphone is better than blackberry as i dont wont my business and personal email all consolidated into one pile.

The blackberry is still the superior email machine but thats the only thing its better at than the iphone.

I played around with the storm and it didnt take long for me to figure out
the phone was rushed to the marketplace.Big time.
Old 11-22-2008, 04:01 PM   #66
SpeedFreak
Thumbs Must Hurt

They should have kept it and got it right in the first place instead of releasing a buggy slow pos just to try to ring in more $$ before the holidays.
Old 11-22-2008, 04:09 PM   #67
jimmypowder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedFreak View Post
They should have kept it and got it right in the first place instead of releasing a buggy slow pos just to try to ring in more $$ before the holidays.
I couln't agree more.Problem is this phone will really hurt Rim's reputation in
its present state.Steve Jobs has gotta be laughing if he plays around with this phone.
Old 11-22-2008, 04:17 PM   #68
rachamphetamine
BBF Moderator

Model: --
PIN: E SOL
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmypowder View Post
Problem is this phone will really hurt Rim's reputation in
its present state.
I disagree. RIM has a solid reputation and mishaps that can be resolved with software/OS updates will quickly be forgotten.

The way that I see it (and this is purely my personal opinion) is that people are expecting too much out of the Storm as a new product. BlackBerry is good at what they do and will resolve everything in time, but the problem is that too many people are focused on the instant gratification they get from new technology and are not generally willing to wait for such fixes.

That said, I don't get my Storm until sometime between Monday and Wednesday next week, so I could very well be up in here complaining about things as well. But I still think that people need to have more patience with an EXTREMELY new product that was just released not even 36 hours ago.
Old 11-22-2008, 04:23 PM   #69
SpeedFreak
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachamphetamine View Post
I disagree. RIM has a solid reputation and mishaps that can be resolved with software/OS updates will quickly be forgotten.

The way that I see it (and this is purely my personal opinion) is that people are expecting too much out of the Storm as a new product. BlackBerry is good at what they do and will resolve everything in time, but the problem is that too many people are focused on the instant gratification they get from new technology and are not generally willing to wait for such fixes.

That said, I don't get my Storm until sometime between Monday and Wednesday next week, so I could very well be up in here complaining about things as well. But I still think that people need to have more patience with an EXTREMELY new product that was just released not even 36 hours ago.
Sorry to disagree but I don't recall the iPhone being done so poorly the first release and being a longtime RIM user I really wanted it to fail.
Old 11-22-2008, 04:30 PM   #70
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

Model: 9530
PIN: G Pong Champ
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedFreak View Post
Sorry to disagree but I don't recall the iPhone being done so poorly the first release and being a longtime RIM user I really wanted it to fail.
That is the exact point he was trying to make the iPhone had tons of problems launch not even mentioning the nearly three days to get it activated when the servers died. People have already forgotten.
Old 11-22-2008, 04:38 PM   #71
rachamphetamine
BBF Moderator

Model: --
PIN: E SOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyDBrown View Post
That is the exact point he was trying to make the iPhone had tons of problems launch not even mentioning the nearly three days to get it activated when the servers died. People have already forgotten.
Thank you. That was, in fact, the point I was trying to make - the iPhone is so successful now that people are willing to overlook all the issues that it had at first. I have faith that history will also be kind to the Storm in the same way.
Old 11-22-2008, 04:42 PM   #72
robotpedlr
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530

You are 100% right. People screamed about the iPhone issues for the first few weeks....no one seems to remember that. So hopefully the Storm will be the same... I am counting on it.
Old 11-22-2008, 05:06 PM   #73
Jason Mark
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9xxx
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
I couln't agree more.Problem is this phone will really hurt Rim's reputation in
its present state.Steve Jobs has gotta be laughing if he plays around with this phone.
No this has nothing to do with RIM. This was all on Verizon. Frankly, Jobs isn't laughing, he's actually trying to take out a patent based on the Sure Press technology. Jobs isn't stupid, he sees the potential of the Storm. He also knows how Verizon is, and knows they botched the launch. RIM will only benefit from the Storm.
Old 11-22-2008, 05:06 PM   #74
bwhite757

Model: 8130

Yep, I had the original iPhone for a few short days before returning it b/c of activation problems. I didn't give it a chance, and sure enough, (I think it was almost 2 months) they got 99% of the bugs fixed and it's now the holy grail of phones... But to be honest, that's when I jumped on the BB band wagon, and have never looked back...

Now comes this shiny new toy... The BB Storm.... And a LOT of hype has been put into it, much like the iPhone... Personally I've decided to give the Storm a chance, mainly b/c I got to play with a demo phone for almost an hour, and although I did see some small lag issues, and a definite need to relearn how to type, overall I was very impressed with the phone....

Also, yes, they were rushing to get the phone out.... Trust me, it was a LOT MORE BUGGY on the original date rumored it would be out... What was that date? Sometime back in October right?? VZW did hold it as long as they thought they could without losing customer interest, but there were plenty of forums and blogs out there bashing the Hell out of RIM and VZW for holding the release so long....

That said, I have no doubt in my mind that RIM wants a buggy phone out on the market with their name on it... That's the great thing about software, it can, AND WILL, be updated to make it better. Trust me, RIM wants you to take your storm and show it to your friends and go, Hey man check this thing out!! They'll get it working right...

You power email users, this phone was never intended for you. Yes it has all the blackberry capabilities, but again it was aimed towards a consumer, not business user. This is why the Bold and Storm (2 completely different phones) were released around the same time. If I pushed 100 or more emails out a day from my phone, I wouldn't give the Storm a second glance, but for someone like me, who's a bit more on the consumer side of things, the Storm is an awesome phone, and I can't wait to see how she operates after we have a few OS updates...
Old 11-22-2008, 05:47 PM   #75
jimmypowder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnyost View Post
No returning. It will replace my curve.
I hope you don't do alot of emailing or text messaging.If you do you will despise this phone and wish you didnt rid yourself of the curve.
Old 11-22-2008, 05:52 PM   #76
jimmypowder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Mark View Post
No this has nothing to do with RIM. This was all on Verizon. Frankly, Jobs isn't laughing, he's actually trying to take out a patent based on the Sure Press technology. Jobs isn't stupid, he sees the potential of the Storm. He also knows how Verizon is, and knows they botched the launch. RIM will only benefit from the Storm.
If Jobs is trying to acquire a patent based on Sure Press he is crazy as a loon.

Have you tried to type with this technology? It is terrible . Trust me. I do alot of business email typing on my pearl. I cannot imagine spending a whole day typing with the storm.I'd have carpel tunnel syndrome within a year.Try it yourself like I did and you'll see what im talking about
Old 11-22-2008, 05:55 PM   #77
spikebetrayer

Carrier: alltel
Default i returned mine

i just couldnt deal with the lag and the amount of effort it took to send an email or text ...too many steps ..also trying to make any corrections to mispelled word was aweful.
i will keep my 8830
Old 11-22-2008, 05:56 PM   #78
Jason Mark
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9xxx
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
If Jobs is trying to acquire a patent based on Sure Press he is crazy as a loon.

Have you tried to type with this technology? It is terrible . Trust me. I do alot of business email typing on my pearl. I cannot imagine spending a whole day typing with the storm.I'd have carpel tunnel syndrome within a year.Try it yourself like I did and you'll see what im talking about
Have I tried? I've had a Storm for over 3 months. SurePress is a fine technology. There are a lot of people who like it. Some who don't. The Storm isn't for everyone, maybe you should take yours back.
Old 11-22-2008, 06:02 PM   #79
jimmypowder

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikebetrayer View Post
i just couldnt deal with the lag and the amount of effort it took to send an email or text ...too many steps ..also trying to make any corrections to mispelled word was aweful.
i will keep my 8830
The 8830 is a great phone.My wife has one while I have the pearl and I have terrible phone envy.
Old 11-22-2008, 06:08 PM   #80
Evil Sports
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Curve

So far not impressed I will give RIM the time they need to get this device in order but I hope its less than a month. Glad I can switch back to my Curve with a simple visit to the web site