BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 09:00 AM   #1
cruffino69

Model: 8820
Carrier: AT&T
Default Acura HandsFreeLink and Blackberry Voice Dialing

Please Login to Remove!

I just recently purchased an Acura TL, and love the HandsFreeLink vs. a headset. Does anyone know of a way to make HandsFreeLink work in a manner that's more link a standard BT headset, so that I can access Voice Dialing. You know, when you press the call button on the headset and the phone tells you "Say a command"?

I have a feeling that this is mostly a difference in the way that the headset profile might be different from HandsFreeLink profile, though I'm just making a guess here.

And in case it's important, specifically it's a 2006 TL and I have an 8820.

Any insight will be greatly appreciated!!!
Old 11-08-2008, 01:35 PM   #2
roid
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: ATT

Wirelessly posted (8320)

Short answer- nope. Long answer- you are correct about the type of profile. There isn't a way to change it and the only way to dial is by voice through the car. In fact you'll find that if you dial a call directly from the handset (from address book or manually not by voice) it confuses the BB and the audio will come through the handset earpiece but the microphone won't work. The only way to dial what's in your address book is to download it to the car, which is only available (at least in the 2008 TL) with the Nav system.

I did much digging and experimentation regarding this topic.
Frankly if I'm going on a long trip and will absolutely have to initiate a lot of calls while I'm in the car I either pre-store the numbers in the car's address book or I just use a headset.
Old 11-08-2008, 01:41 PM   #3
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

Yep, I agree. Once you connect the BB to the HandsFreeLink you don't do any dialing from the device. On my 08 Odyssey Nav system I have to store the numbers in one of the built-in address books and do the voice dialing through the car's voice system. I'll be honest, I rarely use the voice system and built in address books. I uploaded my complete address book from my BB into the car (as well as my wife's and my daughters) and I just use the touch screen to go to my address book and dial the number from there.
Old 11-08-2008, 04:55 PM   #4
cruffino69

Thanks for the responses. It seems, well, short sighted on Honda/Acura's part to have it work in this fashion. It would be nice to provide an option to have it function like a headset would, as that seems more universal.

Here's another interesting and useless tidbit. If I bring up the device properties on my BB for the HandsFreeLink it shows three services:

Hands-Free Module
Headset-Module
Object Push

The last one, Object Push, *used* to say OBEX Object Push earlier today (and I find it quite odd that it would change since this morning). Now, I don't have Navi in my TL, and I have not seen any mention of being able to transfer an address book in any of my manuals. I did read about the Navi system being able to accept an address book transfer earlier today, which had me curious.

So I tried transferring my address book, and the BB showed all the progress and declared success at the end. Of course, when I listed the phonebook entries there were no more than when I started.

So, for anyone searching and finding this thread: yes it'll transfer, no it doesn't do you any good
Old 11-27-2008, 07:10 AM   #5
markhfx
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: Telus

Can you tell me how you did the import of your address book? I have a 2009 TSX with Nav and it is only importing 1 entry ( my number)
Thanks
Old 11-27-2008, 07:13 AM   #6
markhfx
Thumbs Must Hurt

Should have mentioned I have a 8830 World edition with Bell
Old 11-27-2008, 10:40 AM   #7
cruffino69

Quote:
Can you tell me how you did the import of your address book? I have a 2009 TSX with Nav and it is only importing 1 entry ( my number)
It's been a few weeks since I tried it, but if memory serves me correctly (and these days, that's questionable) these are the steps I performed (this assumes you have established a connection to HandsFreeLink):
  1. From the home screen, go into "Manage Connections".
  2. Scroll to and select "Bluetooth Options".
  3. Scroll to and select "HandsFreeLink".
  4. Scroll to and select "Transfer Address Book".
Again, this did nothing for me since I don't have the Navi package, which is exactly what I expected (but hoped for something different).

Hope this helps!
Old 11-27-2008, 09:28 PM   #8
markhfx
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thanks for the reply however it appears that the 8830 does not support importing the address book unless someone else knows a workaround?
Old 01-05-2009, 09:02 PM   #9
irishpadres

Model: 8319
PIN: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruffino69 View Post
Thanks for the responses. It seems, well, short sighted on Honda/Acura's part to have it work in this fashion. It would be nice to provide an option to have it function like a headset would, as that seems more universal.
Amen. The fact that it doesn't allow you to use the BB voice dialing is very maddening.
Old 01-06-2009, 05:05 PM   #10
markhfx
Thumbs Must Hurt

Agreed
Closed Thread