BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 05:08 PM   #1
rceee

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT
Question Should I exchange my Bold for an iPhone? Anyone else here gone either way?

Please Login to Remove!

Any of you guys gone to an iPhone from a BB, or vice-versa?

I was on VZW for years, then got excited about the Storm, then got seriously let down when it came out. So disappointed, in fact, that I went to AT&T. I was between the iPhone and the Bold, and I went with the Bold. I like it a lot, though I've been contemplating exchanging it for the iPhone. It's a tough call.

Here is a list I made last night of personal pros/cons with the two devices.

iPhone
3rd party gcal sync that works properly (Spanning Sync)
built in contacts sync
on screen keyboard
Native To Do app that syncs with ToodleDo (my task manager)
pinch zoom in gmaps, etc.
apps store

no mms
no video

Bold
can do mms
can do video
free gcal/contacts sync (with Google mobile app--somewhat buggy)

gmail/imap works but only with Google App
built-in IMAP is generally busted if you aren't a corporate exchange user; only unidirectional deletion sync and no IMAP folder browsing (very disappointing)
bluetooth won't work with Mac
Can't use as a drive on Mac
Mac support generally busted
no app store

I tried to make the list insightful and not just the obvious stuff. If anyone has any thoughts or feelings regarding switching or having already switched one way or the other, please share. Thanks.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:12 PM   #2
Golfing
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: t-mobile.de

Yes you should. By the way it looks, you want an "entertainment phone" vice reliab le business, productivity phone.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:23 PM   #3
rceee

Well, more than anything, I want something that properly interfaces with my workflow: gmail, gcal, gcontacts, and a web-based task manager (toodledo). I really never watch videos or do music on the phone.

Ironically, IMAP and Gmail work better on the iPhone, which blows my mind. I wish it weren't like that, but it appears to be.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:49 PM   #4
CO_BBTechie
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

I'm curious why you listed both the on screen keyboard of the iphone, and the physical keyboard of the Bold both as Pros? That is often the deciding factor by itself for many people.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:08 PM   #5
kjjb0204

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW

I would think the 8gb on the iPhone would be a con, not a pro. The Bold can support much more, and you can swap cards if needed to store even more. The iPhone 8gb is not upgradable.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:19 PM   #6
CO_BBTechie

Model: 8310

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjjb0204 View Post
I would think the 8gb on the iPhone would be a con, not a pro. The Bold can support much more, and you can swap cards if needed to store even more. The iPhone 8gb is not upgradable.
Well if the OP was concerned about that, he could have at least purchased the 16GB model... I'd suggest it's not a primary concern.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:19 PM   #7
SanaTizer

PIN: 249e3b2f

Don't forget a feature I have alot of iPhone users complaining about... cut and paste is still not supported. A feature I use alot on the blackberry.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:23 PM   #8
sch911

Model: 8100

Quote:
Originally Posted by rceee View Post
Any of you guys gone to an iPhone from a BB, or vice-versa?
I currently use both my Bold (BIS) and my iPhone 2G 8GB. I switch back and forth by swapping my sim card. As long as your iPhone has been activated, and you are carrying the BB Personal data plan this is possible.

I do admit that since I replaced my Pearl with a Bold about a month ago I haven't switched to the iPhone all that much. Each device has it's own strengths. I'm not going to say that one is better than the other, they both do their own thing just fine IMHO.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:27 PM   #9
suertetres

Model: 9650
Carrier: US Cellular & Verizon

I carried a 3g for a few months and just bought my first BB- went with the curve. I actually left VZW after years of service for the iphone. No regrets, awesome phone, easy to use and def feature rich. I went with the curve because it is my first BB and didn't want to drop 300 on something i may not like- and having the 3g iphone not sure 3g is that important to me.

Pros and cons to both. They keyboard is great on the iphone, but something about having real buttons. I've always carried PPC with windows etc, having the BB is night and day fromanything i've carried and in the few days i've had it, i'm a convert. My wife is now carrying the iphone and loving it. Depends on what you want to use it for. Songs, movies, shows, etc i'd go with the iphone, email is good, i synced with my works exchange server with no issues. I just like the keys and form factor of the curve more.

My only problem was having them switch my iphone plan- they gave me the data but i left a iphone partion in my plan and i wasn't able to access the web etc from the curve. They deleted it from my profile and i'm good. I think that would be a huge downside from switching back and forth is you have to have your plan switched each time

EDIT:

I really like the profile settings on the BB better then the iphone, it was either ring or silent or silent and vib with the iphone- is great, but i like the status light with the BB- i can have it on in a meeting and my light will turn red with a message, if i want to see it, i can "wake" but it doesn't light up and draw attention or disturb the meeting- little thing, but i love it!

Last edited by suertetres; 12-02-2008 at 09:32 PM..
Old 12-03-2008, 08:58 AM   #10
mstrange
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon
Default Go Bold

I have had multiple BB's. I also got the new Storm and tried it for a few days, but did not like the touch screen. I have also used an iPhone and own an iTouch and hate there onscreen keyboard. I was only about 50% acurate with the iTouch and have handed to many friends and asked them to type with similar results. So now I am selling my iTouch also. The Storm keyboard was many times better interface, but for me I just liked having the physical keyboard, my shortcuts via the real keyboard etc.

Also, I have not experienced anything that works even close to using a BB connected via BES. If you rely on your phone for work the BB is a must. If you have it for personal use then the iPhone (if you like it) will turn more heads.

I am on Verizon (another must for my area because of coverage) and have the 8830. I may move to the Curve now that I passed on the Storm. I would like to have the Bold on Verizon (I think it will be the Niagra?).

Good luck!

Mike

UPDATE: rceee - I re-read your original post - looks like the iPhone is best for you as you are a MAC user and do not use BES. It will probably integrate better for you. If you ever have BES option at work - take it and go with a BB - you will never look back!

Last edited by mstrange; 12-03-2008 at 09:01 AM..
Old 12-31-2008, 11:32 AM   #11
audiofx81

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

I have had both devices a bold and an iphone 3g. I also have been a windows mobile user for a long time. For plain functionality blackberry is the way to go. Black IMHO is even a better media player then the iphone in a sense i can quickly type my song on the keyboard and get to it. downside to blackberry is data plans, hosted BES (if you are not compoany provided) if you want it. I pay for hosted exchange but used it with BIS instead of adding BES to my hosted exchange and it works just great. I sync my contacts with my laptop and avoid BES charges from carrier and my exchange host. Though i admit BES is nice, though windows mobile 6 plus a 2007 exchange host provides many of the same features including server side searching which i love
Old 12-31-2008, 07:16 PM   #12
cyberseal 75r

I actually jumped shipped from my Verizon Pearl 3 months ago for the Iphone 3g. I took the Iphone back after 3 days for several reasons. First off let me say the Iphone is a very nice phone- easy to use, lots of features, fun to use. But what I found with Iphone is that it takes a lot of work to do things- for instance the minimum number of clicks on the phone to dial a contact is 4 (if I remember right)- unlocking the phone, selecting contacts, selecting favorites, choosing contact. It doesn't seem like much trouble at first, but after a while its just a pain. I prefer the simple speed dials on my blackberry. I did recently jump ship from VZW again and got the Bold- which I must say is a really great phone.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:30 PM   #13
captthomason
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9860
PIN: to bean

I dont understand what the issue with gmail on a BB is? Why are you using an app for it? Never used an app for gmail and have had a BB for 2 years. I just set up my personal email through the device.