BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 01:46 AM   #1
msaz87

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Switch from BBerry to iPhone? G1?

Please Login to Remove!

I'm currently using a Blackberry Pearl, which I've really enjoyed -- but I'm wondering if I should switch to something new. I'm on T-Mobile, so switching to a Storm isn't really an option, which leaves me with two options: an iPhone that I unlock, or a G1.

While this is a Blackberry forum, I figured I might get some opinions on whether it's worth switching yet, or whether I should hold out until something else comes along.

Thanks for any advice!
Old 12-05-2008, 01:59 AM   #2
barbwyr
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

Why not get a Curve? Or if the whole touchscreen thing is what you are after, get a Storm and unlock the GSM side to work on TMobile. You won't get 3G but for some that's not a problem.
Old 12-05-2008, 04:33 AM   #3
msaz87

I guess the question is: is there enough of a difference between my pearl and the big three new phones (of which, none get stellar reviews I've seen) -- and should I just sit back until the kinks are worked out?

Thanks
Old 12-05-2008, 10:29 AM   #4
nyte3k
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: Tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by msaz87 View Post
I guess the question is: is there enough of a difference between my pearl and the big three new phones (of which, none get stellar reviews I've seen) -- and should I just sit back until the kinks are worked out?

Thanks
I cannot speak for the G1, but I have both the Curve and the iPhone.

the iPhone is a great device, however there are a couple things you might miss...

running applications in the background or simultaneously
keyboard if that's important to you
if you're using tmobile, you lose the visiual voicemail that att provides with the iPhone
And i personally don't like the control Apple has over the device from a consumer and a developer standpoint. I just feel if i purchase or develop for a phone, I want full control of the system(not to say RIM opens everything, but they allow more playing around within their API).

Personally, I don't prefer a touchscreen device, so i'll always be biased towards non-touch. That being said, I love the trackwheel and speed of the BB OS over the iPhone.

I've played with a G1, but only for a couple minutes. Seems like a great device, but I find the phone to look a bit generic and plain. And i'm not a huge fan of the sidekick-like form factor.

If you absolutely love your BlackBerry, I would wait and see if the new Curve comes to Tmobile. If you're not sure, go try out the G1, iPhone and the Storm and see how you like them.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:35 PM   #5
roofus
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: PassP
Carrier: Bell

also the battery life on the iphone is brutal!
Old 12-07-2008, 07:00 PM   #6
western_rider's_dad
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: T-mobile

I'm also in a similar situation. I'm ready to replace by Pearl shortly, and don't really see any current / upcoming BB's on TMo that are of interest, or at least worth renewing my contract. I don't want to pay for an unlocked phone or switch vendors and am considering the G1.
Old 12-11-2008, 01:21 AM   #7
hard10

Model: 9650
Carrier: Alltel / VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by western_rider's_dad View Post
I'm also in a similar situation. I'm ready to replace by Pearl shortly, and don't really see any current / upcoming BB's on TMo that are of interest, or at least worth renewing my contract. I don't want to pay for an unlocked phone or switch vendors and am considering the G1.
I'm on the opposite side here. I have a Palm Treo 755 and have been looking for something for when their software is no longer supported. I have been reading this forum trying to decide on what to get as I'm leading towards a BB for similar functionality. The most important features I need are: 1)functionality with a program like Franklin Covey (Task Manager)
2)Ability to use Excel & Word.
3)Take and email pictures.
4)Ability to hook my laptop to the phone to work as a modem.
5)A good web browser.
I would really prefer to NOT use Outlook.

In such, I have been using a G1 for the last week. My first impressions have been that the browser is great. It loads quickly and has a very nice display. I do find it difficult to go back and forth between the portrait and landscape views using the menu button. However the worst part about this phone is the contact list. For the most part, Google wants you to keep all of your contacts on their website. Coming from a Plam, I find this very awkward. I like fact that I can hook a wire to my phone and sync it directly to my desktop software. Needless to say, I don't think the G1 is for me.
With all of that said, please help me find a phone that will fit my needs. Everything that I have read about the BlackBerry tells me that there is a model out there for me.
Thanks,
AJ

Last edited by hard10; 12-11-2008 at 01:23 AM..
Old 12-11-2008, 01:28 AM   #8
BlitzSix
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by msaz87 View Post
I guess the question is: is there enough of a difference between my pearl and the big three new phones?

Thanks
In a word -- YES. Get the 8900 Curve. It upgrades everything. Amazing screen, new os, full keyboard, good camera, it's fast, amazing form factor (which you will like coming from a curve). GPS (great with google maps), wifi. It's a really great device.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:17 AM   #9
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Nothing beats first hand experience. I'm not entirely clear on how you expect us to tell you if you think it's worth switching. You're going to get answers all across the spectrum with an obvious bias toward the BB (this is a BB forum, after all).

At least tell use what you're looking for so people can make meaningful recommendations.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:48 AM   #10
hard10

Model: 9650
Carrier: Alltel / VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi View Post
Nothing beats first hand experience. I'm not entirely clear on how you expect us to tell you if you think it's worth switching. You're going to get answers all across the spectrum with an obvious bias toward the BB (this is a BB forum, after all).

At least tell use what you're looking for so people can make meaningful recommendations.
I'm sorry for the ambiguity. First, do I have to use Outlook? Is there another desktop application? Second, can a picture be directly be emailed?
Thank you.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:12 PM   #11
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hard10 View Post
I'm sorry for the ambiguity. First, do I have to use Outlook? Is there another desktop application? Second, can a picture be directly be emailed?
Thank you.
Blackberry doesn't make a desktop PIM like Palm. You can use Outlook, the clear favorite or corporations and home user alike, or you can use IBM/Lotus products like Notes and Mail. I use Entourage on my Mac with PocketMac and have no problems at all. What would you like to use?

As for picture mail, yes, you can email it directly. You can also do MMS if you're sending it to a person's phone who doesn't have email on that phone.
Old 12-11-2008, 04:39 PM   #12
kjjb0204
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW

What about the new Pearl Flip at tmo? If you've enjoyed the pearl, you might really like the flip version. I always used to have flip phones and do miss that form factor - being able to just chuck it in my pocket without locking it, not worrying too much about lint, stuff like that. I tried making a curve flip, but for some reason verizon wouldn't honor the insurance on a curve cut in half.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:46 PM   #13
himolin

g1 is pretty cool
Closed Thread