BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 09:17 AM   #1
mmuras
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T - USA
Default AT&T Customers "forced" to Upgrade to 3G? - Is it true?

Please Login to Remove!

Hello folks:

The author following article from Open For Business makes a bold claim: namely that AT&T customers in certain areas of U.S. that are using first Generation iPhones based on EDGE network and EDGE network BlackBerry's (i.e.: the popular 8310 and others) will be suffering from increasing signal loss on the EDGE network as AT&T ramps up their 3G network rollout.

My question is: Is this true? Have any of you long time AT&T customers noticed this?

I am brand new to AT&T and want information...I love my BlackBerry Bold but I want to know if this could be a deal breaker for me and others like me.

Please see the article for details:

LINK --> Fewer Bars in More Places: AT&T Network Upgrades Degrade Service for 2G Phones - OFB.biz: Open for Business

Originally found through: Slashdot.org - LINK --> Slashdot | AT&T 3G Upgrades Degrade 2G Signal Strength

--Past BBs: BB Curve (8320), BB Curve (8330), BB Tour (9630)
--Currently: AT&T - BB Bold (9000), VZW - BB Bold (9650)
Old 01-04-2009, 09:59 AM   #2
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800c
Carrier: Cingular

If you have a Bold, why would you care if 2G is phased out as 3G is better voice quality and faster data? I could see my wife upset that she'll have to trade in her 5(?) year old RAZR; she doesn't get the whole phone thing

As AMPs was replaced by TDMA, then TDMA was replaced by GSM, you can bet 3G will replace 2G. Then 4G will replace 3G within probably 8 years. If they have reasonable prices for 3G phones and don't force people on a new contract, this is a good thing for users.

Regards-Michael G.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:18 AM   #3
BryanHarig
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

It sounds like AT&T will be allocating the 'best' spectrum (850) to 3g in some areas. It isn't the end of the world.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:03 PM   #4
mmuras
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T - USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgerbasio View Post
If you have a Bold, why would you care if 2G is phased out as 3G is better voice quality and faster data? I could see my wife upset that she'll have to trade in her 5(?) year old RAZR; she doesn't get the whole phone thing

As AMPs was replaced by TDMA, then TDMA was replaced by GSM, you can bet 3G will replace 2G. Then 4G will replace 3G within probably 8 years. If they have reasonable prices for 3G phones and don't force people on a new contract, this is a good thing for users.

Regards-Michael G.
First, I understand the matter of upgrading network hardware and software...it makes sense from a infrastructure perspective. But true end users do not care much about what makes sense for the company that provides them service...they just want it to work for them...no matter what (Oh and if it does not work-no matter what, and you are an IT support professional, then I feel your pain-that is what I do).

I care because I support those kinds of end users that use those kinds of phones...most of them just got new phones in the last 7 or 8 months (they have the AT&T Branded BlackBerry 8310 or Generation 1 iPhone). If coverage goes bad, then they will come to me with questions.

At least for now coverage in my local area (Austin, TX) has been good for AT&T EDGE users.

--Past BBs: BB Curve (8320), BB Curve (8330), BB Tour (9630)
--Currently: AT&T - BB Bold (9000), VZW - BB Bold (9650)
Old 01-04-2009, 02:08 PM   #5
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7
Carrier: AT&T

Out with the old, in with the new.
Closed Thread