Closed Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 03:22 PM   #1
swarsa

Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint
Default What is the best GPS Golf Program for BB Curve

Please Login to Remove!

Hi All,

thinking of buying a GPS golf program for the BB Curve. Any suggestions on which one to buy?

Thanks
Old 12-02-2008, 04:08 PM   #2
pshift
CrackBerry Addict

Model: ...
PIN: N/A. Went To Android!
Carrier: Busy Signal :)

Probably intelligolf but there may be others.
Old 12-04-2008, 03:59 AM   #3
gbplay10s
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

How about deadly accurate and FREE?

GolfTraxx News
http://pdazip.com/golftraxx_blackberry.zip

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarsa View Post
Hi All,

thinking of buying a GPS golf program for the BB Curve. Any suggestions on which one to buy?

Thanks
Old 12-04-2008, 06:32 PM   #4
hagtacular

Model: 8130
Carrier: telus

gbplay, quick question, is there a way to add your own course to the database?
Old 12-04-2008, 09:08 PM   #5
harddude5
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100t
Carrier: t-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbplay10s View Post

I mapped my favorite local course and tried to email it to both:

[email address] and [email address] as per your website and got both emails back as undeliverable. What gives?
Old 12-05-2008, 07:23 PM   #6
casmer
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
Carrier: ATT

GolfTraxx is definitely good and those guys are great to work with.

I have found more pleasure using all season long this year TeeDroid - TeeDroid Mobile Phone Golf Caddy System. It has a great interface, allows you to keep score for your round. Will track shot distances and give you average putts per round and all kinds of stats. It is only 19.95/year or you can end up with a free subscription by mapping your own courses.

The big difference with TeeDroid and with some others is the statistical tracking, the price, and the ease of adding and using courses. I can map a course, Front/Middle/Back of greens AND trouble zones (traps, water, etc) and immediately upload it to the TeeDroid website. If my course already exists when I get to the course all I do is say "Find Courses Near My Location" and it will show it in the list and I start my round. The was he has it setup to map a course is very useful as well allowing you to take full advantage of Google Earth's built in functions. You don't just map a point for beginning of sandtrap and give it the same name for the end of santrap, but you can use the points, paths, and polygons for mapping out your entire course.

Finn, the developer for TeeDroid, is absolutely awesome to work with. He will email out questions/suggestions to people and take their feedback and incorporate it back into the product very quickly.

This has been my best app loaded on my BlackBerry this year. I also had a chance to use a SkyCaddie for a round while I was using TeeDroid and I would take TeeDroid over SkyCadding 10 out of 10 times. There may be the case where you cannot get phone service and if you haven't downloaded the entire course details that you would need a GPS only type of device, but I haven't experienced thatyet.

Try out TeeDroid, I know you will not be disappointed. Let me know if you have any questions and I will try to answer them if I can.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:21 PM   #7
gbplay10s

Yes - we use Google Earth.

Our guides to mapping courses are here:

GolfTraxx - Contact

You can do a basic first and then go back and to the extras. We support any number of extras per hole.

You can email me directly if you run into any problems text [email address].

gb

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagtacular View Post
gbplay, quick question, is there a way to add your own course to the database?
Old 12-05-2008, 09:24 PM   #8
gbplay10s

Harddude - not sure what the issue is at all. The ATT account is mine and I have had no issues at all. I do see that your spelling is wrong.. att.blackberry.net You are missing the 'K'.

Try greg DOT buechler AT comcast DOT net

Or give me a call via our toll-free. Hit 'sales' and it will find me no matter where I am.

gb

Quote:
Originally Posted by harddude5 View Post
I mapped my favorite local course and tried to email it to both:

[email address] and [email address] as per your website and got both emails back as undeliverable. What gives?
Old 12-11-2008, 06:15 AM   #9
harddude5
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbplay10s View Post
Harddude - not sure what the issue is at all. The ATT account is mine and I have had no issues at all. I do see that your spelling is wrong.. att.blackberry.net You are missing the 'K'.

Try greg DOT buechler AT comcast DOT net

Or give me a call via our toll-free. Hit 'sales' and it will find me no matter where I am.

gb
Thanks! I just emailed you at the address you suggested and cc'd the other two addresses with the corrected spelling, just for good measure. I think my email went through to the new address, but the other two addresses again bombed as follows, so maybe there is a problem with them:

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Sent: 12/10/2008 11:10 PM

The following recipient(s) cannot be reached:

'golftraxx@att.blackberry.net' on 12/10/2008 11:10 PM
550 5.5.0 <'golftraxx@att.blackberry.net'> malformed address: '> may not follow <'golftraxx@att.blackberry.net

'frank_debenedetti@yahoo.com' on 12/10/2008 11:10 PM
550 5.5.0 <'frank_debenedetti@yahoo.com'> malformed address: '> may not follow <'frank_debenedetti@yahoo.com
Old 12-13-2008, 02:19 AM   #10
finnk

Model: 8820

Quote:
Originally Posted by casmer View Post
GolfTraxx is definitely good and those guys are great to work with.

I have found more pleasure using all season long this year TeeDroid - TeeDroid Mobile Phone Golf Caddy System. It has a great interface, allows you to keep score for your round. Will track shot distances and give you average putts per round and all kinds of stats. It is only 19.95/year or you can end up with a free subscription by mapping your own courses.

The big difference with TeeDroid and with some others is the statistical tracking, the price, and the ease of adding and using courses. I can map a course, Front/Middle/Back of greens AND trouble zones (traps, water, etc) and immediately upload it to the TeeDroid website. If my course already exists when I get to the course all I do is say "Find Courses Near My Location" and it will show it in the list and I start my round. The was he has it setup to map a course is very useful as well allowing you to take full advantage of Google Earth's built in functions. You don't just map a point for beginning of sandtrap and give it the same name for the end of santrap, but you can use the points, paths, and polygons for mapping out your entire course.

Finn, the developer for TeeDroid, is absolutely awesome to work with. He will email out questions/suggestions to people and take their feedback and incorporate it back into the product very quickly.

This has been my best app loaded on my BlackBerry this year. I also had a chance to use a SkyCaddie for a round while I was using TeeDroid and I would take TeeDroid over SkyCadding 10 out of 10 times. There may be the case where you cannot get phone service and if you haven't downloaded the entire course details that you would need a GPS only type of device, but I haven't experienced thatyet.

Try out TeeDroid, I know you will not be disappointed. Let me know if you have any questions and I will try to answer them if I can.
Casmer,

thanks for the good review

As noted you can map your own course using Google Earth and use extended features for landmarks - plus you can preview coordinates online: see example. This means you get 3 flavors of landmarks: single point (1 distance), reach/carry (2 distances), and area (4 corners + center). Area landmarks are used for things like a creek crossing the fairway diagonally.

We review all courses submitted through the website. However, as soon as you have uploaded it you can yourself use it. On your phone you can search by your current location which pulls down a paged list of all the courses within 150 miles ordered by distance from your location. Or you can search by course/club name, city, state, and country.

There is also the ability to track your stats, stats tracking come in 2 modes:
Manual Score - this lets you enter score, putts, GiR, fairway hit, scrambling, and sandsaves. You can then post the score to the server for aggregate statistics.
Play-by-Play - this is for the user that wants the extra detail. It lets you track each stroke individually. You set the a) tee location, then b) select club used, and c) set the result (fairway, green, rough etc). Repeat b & c until in the hole. Unless you are on the green, then it skips club selection, or you can enter all putts at once. The application associates your location with the data (tee + set result) and calculates the distance you hit your clubs. You can then access the data online, see my stats.

If you just want to use the rangefinding capabilities, just select manual score when starting a round and ignore the inputs for score/stats. If you are interested in the features for Play-by-Play view the instructional video.

TeeDroid comes with a 15 day free trial, just register for an account and install the application on your phone and you are set to go.

Good luck out on the course,

Finn
Old 12-13-2008, 03:09 AM   #11
gbplay10s

What course was it? We are at <24hour turn around so unless there was an issue on the course, we should have it ready to go asap.

gb

Quote:
Thanks! I just emailed you at the address you suggested and cc'd the other two addresses with the corrected spelling, just for good measure. I think my email went through to the new address, but the other two addresses again bombed as follows, so maybe there is a problem with them:

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Sent: 12/10/2008 11:10 PM

The following recipient(s) cannot be reached:

'golftraxx@att.blackberry.net' on 12/10/2008 11:10 PM
550 5.5.0 <'golftraxx@att.blackberry.net'> malformed address: '> may not follow <'golftraxx@att.blackberry.net

'frank_debenedetti@yahoo.com' on 12/10/2008 11:10 PM
550 5.5.0 <'frank_debenedetti@yahoo.com'> malformed address: '> may not follow <'frank_debenedetti@yahoo.com
Old 01-21-2009, 05:29 AM   #12
harddude5
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default Experience with free golf GPS apps

I have had very good luck with my Freedom puck and various free highway GPS software, but have yet to find a usable free golf application. I have tried several golf apps including some that are mentioned here by their developers, but they seem to be universally slow and buggy -- may work for a few holes, if at all, then mysteriously stop providing data. I had previously owned a Sonocaddie -- no annual fees and ability to edit course data -- but liked the idea of not having to lug along the Sonocaddie for golf and Garmin Nuvi for highway use when I am already carrying my Blackberry Curve everywhere. Perhaps a commercial golf GPS package would work better, but I haven't heard of any such software that has received rave reviews.

I am tempted to buy another golf GPS unit and just use the Blackberry Curve for highway GPS, but perhaps current Blackberry golf GPS options will soon improve or new free or commercial options will come to the market. BTW, before someone asks, the course I play most often is located in a mostless treeless urban area with excellent cell phone and GPS reception (with the Sonocaddie, that is).

Last edited by harddude5; 01-21-2009 at 05:32 AM..
Old 01-21-2009, 09:55 PM   #13
milrtime83

Model: 8130
Carrier: Verizon

Here is a relatively new golf gps that is free.
I don't have enough posts to post a link but a google search for bbgpsgolf will find it easy enough.

Even though it is relatively new it has a lot of nice features. There is an interface directly on the website to map new courses that is very easy to use.

One thing it doesn't have is a graphical interface if that's something you're looking for.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:04 AM   #14
casmer
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530

Quote:
I have tried several golf apps including some that are mentioned here by their developers, but they seem to be universally slow and buggy -- may work for a few holes, if at all, then mysteriously stop providing data.
Not sure if TeeDroid is the one you tried or not, but I have had extremely good usage with that program on my BB 8310. I have never had an issue with that program. Courses can be self mapped with as much or as little detail as you want to define. At 19.95/year subscription that is actually a pretty good deal, but it is easy to end up with free service as well. Mapping a course that hasn't already been mapped gets you free service, map 5 courses and the entire year is free.

So, not to push them too much, but I have been blown away by the program and the accompanying website for score uploads and statistical tracking. Best program out there so far that I have seen for use on the BB.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:56 PM   #15
harddude5
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by casmer View Post
Not sure if TeeDroid is the one you tried or not, but I have had extremely good usage with that program on my BB 8310. ...

So, not to push them too much, but I have been blown away by the program and the accompanying website for score uploads and statistical tracking. Best program out there so far that I have seen for use on the BB.
I haven't tried teedroid or any other fee-based software --and I don't play enough courses to map 5 new ones every year. I have tried several free options, but I won't name them out of respect for their developers and the fact my poor experience may be unique to me. As for my reluctance to use fee-based software: If I'm going to pay I'll stick with a dedicated golf GPS unit. I am willing to put up with the inherent limitations of any type of GPS on a Blackberry only if the software is free.
Closed Thread