Closed Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 06:58 PM   #1
casmer
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
Carrier: ATT
Default Contact Phone/Message Alerts

Please Login to Remove!

I see how to change an alert for a contact, but can I only change the Phone Alert and leave the message alert untouched? I can't seem to figure out how to do that. I want a txt/email1/email2 sound to come in untouched no matter who they are from. I do want a custom ringtone per contact though.

Is this possible? I have searched around a little and nothing is jumping out at me. Thanks.
Old 02-14-2009, 12:12 AM   #2
TotalTech

PIN: 304D3782
Carrier: Verizon

Wirelessly posted (VZW Storm, ATT Bold)

If I'm following you right you only want to customize s ring tone without effecting sms/email
Go to the contact. Menu edit then ringtone this will change just the ringtone if you change the messages field the will effect you sms tones
Old 02-14-2009, 01:26 AM   #3
casmer

When I tried this before I had always clicked into the "messages" area and found now way to turn the messages aspect off. This time I set the ringtone and never entered the "messages" area thinking by not entering it may not initiate, but it does in fact enable message tones for the particular contact. I don't see a way around this as of yet. I would hope you could just disable the messages portion.

Any other thoughts?
Old 02-14-2009, 10:37 AM   #4
TotalTech

So when you are changing just the ringtone for any specific contact, it is also assigning that tone to the contacts SMS/emails?
Old 02-15-2009, 02:14 AM   #5
casmer

It assigns whichever the default selected tone is for the messages. It is BBPro_Sanguine on mine. Not sure why it is also assigning the Messages tone.
Old 02-15-2009, 02:21 AM   #6
TotalTech

If you don't mess with the messages section of the contact it will remain your global default. I just tested it with both of my BB's. If you change just the ringtone of the phone sms/mms/email is uneffeted
Old 02-15-2009, 04:25 AM   #7
pirlok
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9500
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by casmer View Post
It assigns whichever the default selected tone is for the messages. It is BBPro_Sanguine on mine. Not sure why it is also assigning the Messages tone.
In order to assign a contact alert, press the menu button, then go to "Sounds", scroll down, and click Set Contact Alerts then add a contact.
My Storm also shows BBPro_Sanguine at all contacts. But I selected a ringtone from my media card, and although it shows BBPro_Sanguine, it rings the sound I selected from my media card.
When you set a contact alert, it will play the tone you selected.
Old 02-15-2009, 12:40 PM   #8
casmer

I must be doing something wrong, because I am doing exactly what you guys are saying (at least in my mind I am) and still my "messages" tones are changing.

Steps:
- Go into Contact Alerts area
- Create new Contact Alert
- Add a name to it
- Click "Phone"
- Specify ringtone
- Never enter the "messages" area
- Save my way out of those screens

Call myself from that contact and the ringtone works perfectly. I get the custom ringtone. Email from that contact and I get BBPro_Sanguine, not my default global sounds for the different email addresses I have on the phone.

If it matters, I am running OS version 103, which seems the most stable, but I also had this same issue on Hybrid V3 from Sith. So does what I am doing sound right or am I overlooking a step that you guys are telling me to do?

Thanks.
Old 02-15-2009, 02:13 PM   #9
TotalTech

I just did the same exact steps and it worked fine for me. Have you tried to set the ring tone from the contact screen itself?
Old 02-15-2009, 02:39 PM   #10
casmer

Yep, I have tried both places. Just for my clarity and because I must be missing something. Are you saying that if you set your BIS account to make noise X and then you set Contact A's ringtone to "shake your money maker" (just for fun) that when Contact A emails your BIS account that it plays noise X and not BBPro_Sanguine? Because that is what is happening to me. If Contact A calls me then "shake your money maker" plays. If Contact A emails me then BBPro_SAnguine plays instead of my noise X (which happens to be the Outlook sound for my BES account and the iphone ringtone for my BIS account).

Is this what is not happening for you and when you get emailed from Contact A it is still playing noise X? I must be missing something really silly.
Old 02-15-2009, 03:00 PM   #11
TotalTech

I didn't test email only sms/mms let me test email real quick
I just tested it and it works. Set a contact to sonar for messages emailed and sms it sonar plays called and shake your money maker played. Had friend sms and call standard tones played. I'm at a loss for you.

Last edited by TotalTech; 02-15-2009 at 03:14 PM..
Old 02-15-2009, 03:18 PM   #12
casmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalTech View Post

I didn't test email only sms/mms let me test email real quick
I just tested it and it works. Set a contact to sonar for messages emailed and sms it sonar plays called and shake your money maker played. Had friend sms and call standard tones played. I'm at a loss for you.
Ok, so what I want is to not set a contact messages tone. I want my global tone to play for my BES and BIS email. I don't ever want to customize the messages sounds. I only want to customize the sound for when they call. If I change the messages tone to something else, it will play that other tone when they email me, but I only want to do it for calling.
Closed Thread