Old 03-01-2009, 05:04 AM   #1
steq184
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: O2
Default What pop3 email?

Please Login to Remove!

I've set up my BB with my Virgin Media pop3 email accounts, trouble is I am not getting all the emails, have double checked the settings and all correct. O2 have also checked and they said to check with my ISP as the Push may need settings changed their end.

When I phoned up my ISP they said they do not support BBs.

So what I need to know now is what pop3 email do you use that I can get on my BB and Outlook?

Also what are the settings?
Old 03-01-2009, 02:23 PM   #2
mitchelrl
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: T-Mobile

Your ISP doesn't have any push settings unless you're on their BES, Push is all handled at the RIM level.

Are the e-mails you're not receiving on your phone being downloaded by another client by any chance? Outlook? Outlook Express? Entourage? etc?
Old 03-01-2009, 03:13 PM   #3
charliechan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Orange

INFORMATION PURPOSES ONLY : In the UK i'm with BT as my ISP. They do not support any other email address bar [email address] with outlook as the outgoing server. So if you have a pop3 address with only an incoming server you will not be able to use BT as your outgoing server. No way around i don't think?
Old 03-01-2009, 08:28 PM   #4
mitchelrl
Thumbs Must Hurt

use the incoming POP3 server from whomever hosts the e-mail box in question and use your ISP's outgoing mail server. If it requires authentication, use your ISP's credentials, but they should exempt domain IP's from having to auth on the outgoing SMTP server unless it specifically requires authentication for when accessing/sending e-mail from outside the domain.

Outlook is not an outgoing mail server, it's just a program that sends and receives e-mail via pop3/mapi/imap based off of the settings you give it.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:10 PM   #5
zGuy
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: black
PIN: rusted safety pin
Carrier: FedEx

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliechan View Post
So if you have a pop3 address with only an incoming server you will not be able to use BT as your outgoing server. No way around i don't think?
Not true. As mitchelrl mentioned, you can have several POP3 incoming emails as long as you have at least one outgoing POP3 server. You can even use gmail (and it's free!) as your outgoing (SMTP) server.
I have a couple of "odd" POP3 email accounts through work. I use them without any problem with Google's gmail outgoing server.

Last edited by zGuy; 03-01-2009 at 09:11 PM..
Old 03-01-2009, 09:13 PM   #6
mitchelrl
Thumbs Must Hurt

I didn't know that goog's SMTP allowed anonymous access, cool.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:53 PM   #7
charliechan
Thumbs Must Hurt

So even if i dont have a gmail account i can use their smtp settings with my normal pop username and password and that will work????
What are the settings please??????
Old 03-01-2009, 11:27 PM   #8
zGuy

Quote:
So even if i dont have a gmail account i can use their smtp settings with my normal pop username and password and that will work????
What are the settings please??????
You misunderstood me: you do need to have an account but it is free and easy to use and it works great with the Blackberry for outgoing mails.
Read here. (This information is the same for the Blackberry as it is for Outlook.)

Last edited by zGuy; 03-01-2009 at 11:28 PM..
Old 03-02-2009, 01:02 AM   #9
charliechan
Thumbs Must Hurt

The problem with using that is ALL outgoing emails are sent through your gmail account on behalf of you pop address, with that clearly indicated on the email. Not a very professional look.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:34 AM   #10
zGuy

Quote:
The problem with using that is ALL outgoing emails are sent through your gmail account on behalf of you pop address, with that clearly indicated on the email. Not a very professional look.
This post explains it: your SMTP configuration (outgoing email server; in this case gmail), is only to get your emails out. The outgoing emails will look as though they came from the email accounts you received.
For example: If you are using Virgin Media pop3 email account to receive emails, and you reply to them, the person on the other side will see that they are coming from Virgin Media pop3 email account, NOT gmail. Makes sense? Your Virgin Media pop3 emails hitch a "ride" on gmail's outgoing configuration (gmail functions as getaway), that's all.
Side-note: If your Virgin Media pop3 email account works with Outlook, or any other email program that uses POP3 email setup, it should work with your Blackberry.

Last edited by zGuy; 03-02-2009 at 01:57 AM..
Old 03-02-2009, 05:28 PM   #11
charliechan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by zGuy View Post
This post explains it: your SMTP configuration (outgoing email server; in this case gmail), is only to get your emails out. The outgoing emails will look as though they came from the email accounts you received.
For example: If you are using Virgin Media pop3 email account to receive emails, and you reply to them, the person on the other side will see that they are coming from Virgin Media pop3 email account, NOT gmail. Makes sense? Your Virgin Media pop3 emails hitch a "ride" on gmail's outgoing configuration (gmail functions as getaway), that's all.
Side-note: If your Virgin Media pop3 email account works with Outlook, or any other email program that uses POP3 email setup, it should work with your Blackberry.
Just tried it to no avail on Outlook. What are the gmail settings? "smtp.gmail.com" doesn't work. Don't know if I should enter a gmail account or my pop account details on the Log On information for it to work as my outgoing server?
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-02-2009, 10:21 PM   #12
zGuy

Firstly: Did you open a new gmail account? After that go to your gmail account online (not Outlook), and click on "Settings." You will need to Enable POP in your email account, following these steps:
Sign in to Gmail.
Click Settings at the top of any Gmail page.
Click Forwarding and POP/IMAP.

Now go to Outlook and start a new POP3 account, including incoming/outgoing server information. This link again.
After you write the outgoing information (SMTP), you have to click the Advanced tab, and check the box next to This server requires an encrypted connection (SSL) under Incoming Server (POP3). This is vital stuff. The SMTP box must show the number 587. Again, this is all in the link I sent you above.
Good luck!

Last edited by zGuy; 03-02-2009 at 10:25 PM..
Closed Thread