Closed Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 07:42 PM   #1
karyncochrane

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Telus
Default Blackberry 8830 World Edition Trackball Problems

Please Login to Remove!

My boyfriend just passed on his Blackberry 8830 World Edition to me because he was having problems with the trackball. I wiped the phone completely and started right from scratch with it and didn't have any problems for at least 2 days....but NOW....

The trackball is is very sensitive at times (I just have to touch it without even pushing down and it will select) and at other times it does not select at all. The phone now has a mind of its own and is selcting things when I am not even touching it...sending messages to my contacts etc. I wonder if this is a software problem or if the trackball is being "pressed" just by the gravity of sitting on a flat surface. I have taken apart the phone and cleaned the trackball with alcohol and it doesn't seem to fix the problem. The phone is no longer on warranty so I hope to get some answers as to how to fix it myself as I cannot afford a new phone and I love this one aside from this problem.

Somebody please help!
Old 03-25-2009, 05:28 PM   #2
phantomtech
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9850
Carrier: Sprint

Personally if it was me I would get a new trackball for it and see if that alleviates the issue.

You may want to search the site to see if anyone else has ever had that problem.

I know that I have gone through a few trackballs, but then again I am very hard on my BlackBerry
Old 03-25-2009, 05:45 PM   #3
Raptor464
Kid Tested. Mom Approved.

Model: 9700
PIN: eapple under the sea
Carrier: T-mobile USA

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...enter-fix.html

Check that thread out, it has some instructions on how to repair a buggy trackball select button.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:09 AM   #4
WillWeb
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon

I had the exact same symptoms on my 8830, starting immediately after I splashed a little water through the trackball hole in the middle of my otterbox case. VZW cleaned under the trackball but it kept getting worse, then they replaced the trackball module - but it still kept getting worse. After I accidentally sent a couple of blank email replies to a corporate VP I replaced the phone. Good luck.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:06 PM   #5
JGrauman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

the clicker has been flatened, had the same thing happen to mine after sitting on it for a long time. link
go here and see where he peels the orange sticky pad back? there is a litle mettle "dish" in there that is supposed to be dome shaped. mine was flattened out which meant no clicking. i took my tweezers and bent it back up in the middle, stuck it back on and there you go! hope this helps
Closed Thread