Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 11:19 AM   #1
KitPeters

Model: None
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Various
Default BES Admin applications?

Please Login to Remove!

Are there any BES administration applications, similar to, e.g., the BlackBerry Manager software, that will run on a BB? If so, how do I lock down my BES so that only specified PINs can access it?
Old 02-03-2009, 11:55 AM   #2
TargetIT
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: Rogers

You can Remote Desktop into the server - I've done that before. I also use software called Mail Marshall that works between the firewall and Exchange that does a number of different things (Spam, keyword filtering, logging, etc...). One of the functions we use allows you to intercept email as it's going out and doing an action on it, like reset AD passwords. Basically anything you can write a script for, can be executed by a simple email.

And finally there's of course a simple web page that would do something similar.
Old 02-03-2009, 01:33 PM   #3
KitPeters

Model: None
Carrier: Various

Hm.. most of the things you suggest would require the BES host to be accessible outside of our internal network (unless you can do VPN over BB). I'm not putting that box on the DMZ.

Thanks for your suggestions, though, and this does put my mind at rest a little bit as regards external access.
Old 02-03-2009, 02:03 PM   #4
RadHaz75
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9650
PIN: BALL
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

we use rove mobile admin which also lets you do a slew other things including ad, ssh, vm, etc. i'm not a salesman for them but it works well (tho maybe expensive depending on your budget). rovemobile.com
Old 02-03-2009, 05:22 PM   #5
TargetIT
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitPeters View Post
Hm.. most of the things you suggest would require the BES host to be accessible outside of our internal network (unless you can do VPN over BB). I'm not putting that box on the DMZ.

Thanks for your suggestions, though, and this does put my mind at rest a little bit as regards external access.
Oh, but it is ;) If you browse over the internet on the BB, it's going through your own network and from the firewall's point of view, the traffic is being sent from the BES server internally. That's why I can remote control any one of our servers via my BB.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:15 PM   #6
elkabong
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T
Default Rove Mobile Admin 4.2

I'm the BES/Exchange/AD admin for our enterprise, and we have Rove deployed in our environment. If you've got a solid AD with locked down perms, it's a great addition to your admin toolset.

You install it on a server in your environment, and depending on what you use it for (i.e. Exchange, SCOM, VMWare, BES) you'll have to install some of the management tools alongside with it so that it can 'access' those app environments, but once you've got it configured it works great. I'm not a salesman, either, but the story I always tell is when I was on-call and at a college football game last year (v4.1). I got a notification about a downed Exchange service - DAMN! I fired up my BB, got into the server via Rove, restarted the service. and Exchange was running again - Didn't have to leave the game. My co-workers have had similar stories. Our UNIX and Datacom folks like it 'cause they can do SSH and TelNet and get in to our routers if need be.

With the latest version you can even do RDP to a server (although that's kind of crappy and not the best way do to much...). As far as BES goes, you can install the User Admin Service and do all that goes with that. I won't say it's 'perfect', but as far as being able to do that kind of stuff, I haven't seen anything else like it. Eventually I'm sure there will be, but not right now. At least give it a try and see what you think. I'm honestly not a salesman, just an enterprise admin who thinks he's found a real time & labor-saving tool.

The vendor site is actually: Rove - Extending IT Reach and they're out of ottawa, canada.

Last edited by elkabong; 04-09-2009 at 11:18 PM.. Reason: URL For the site...
Old 04-12-2009, 07:57 PM   #7
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Rove Mobile Admin is, for lack of a better phrase, f&^king awesome.
I recommend this app to anyone who manages a BES, or any server, and needs to do so remotely.
Closed Thread