BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 08:27 AM   #1
bogman
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile UK
Unhappy Help - Default email account problems!

Please Login to Remove!

Hi

I recently upgraded my Pearl 8110 to 4.5.0.81 / 4.5.0.55. After this, it started using the wrong email address/account as the default account.

I've changed the setting to the correct account as follows:

Options -> Advanced Options -> Default Services -> Messaging (CMIME).

I've even taken the battery out, but its still ignorning this setting and using the wrong account (I've checked and the above setting is correct, but its ignoring it). Its really annoying as I don't check the account its defaulting to regularly and some people can't even reply to the address!

Any ideas? should I downgrade?

Thanks,
Bogman
Old 08-13-2008, 10:30 AM   #2
artmika
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
PIN: 254F7227
Carrier: Vodafone

Sorry for the silly question, but...did you save after e-mail change on default services ?
I guess you did, but ... who knows?

----
BB 8100 Pearl @ Vodafone | PIN: 254F7227
Old 08-13-2008, 11:34 AM   #3
bogman

Quote:
Originally Posted by artmika View Post
Sorry for the silly question, but...did you save after e-mail change on default services ?
I guess you did, but ... who knows?
Yes - I did. And when I go back into this option (including after battery removal and re-insertion!) it is showing the correct account as the defualt one. However, when I write a new email, its still using the other (incorrect) account. So, its ignoring the setting for some reason?
Old 08-13-2008, 12:12 PM   #4
dak244
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8130
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogman View Post
Yes - I did. And when I go back into this option (including after battery removal and re-insertion!) it is showing the correct account as the defualt one. However, when I write a new email, its still using the other (incorrect) account. So, its ignoring the setting for some reason?
That is weird. Is the email you are composing to someone with the same email account location (i.e. gmail.com or yahoo.com)? I noticed that even when my gmail account is defaulted, if I send a message to someone with my same work account extension, it automatically reverts to my work account.
Old 08-13-2008, 03:11 PM   #5
bogman

Actually now that you mention that - yes! To test which account my blackberry is using to send a new email, I've been sending an email to myself (a @gmail address). When I just tested sending an email to someone else, it uses the correct default account, but when I send it to myself it uses the other email account. This in itself sounds like a bug in the software - but its pretty trivial as I rarely send emails to myself! thanks for your help.
Old 08-13-2008, 03:21 PM   #6
dak244
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogman View Post
Actually now that you mention that - yes! To test which account my blackberry is using to send a new email, I've been sending an email to myself (a @gmail address). When I just tested sending an email to someone else, it uses the correct default account, but when I send it to myself it uses the other email account. This in itself sounds like a bug in the software - but its pretty trivial as I rarely send emails to myself! thanks for your help.
I actually don't think it is a bug. It seems to me that they meant for it to be this way (for business purposes) so if you were emailing someone at your office or whatever it would use the correct domain.

Just my thought though, very well could be a bug
Old 08-14-2008, 04:51 AM   #7
bogman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dak244 View Post
I actually don't think it is a bug. It seems to me that they meant for it to be this way (for business purposes) so if you were emailing someone at your office or whatever it would use the correct domain.

Sorry - my explanation may have been unclear. I want my default address to be my @gmail.com account. But it was defaulting to my @mobileemail.vodafone.net account. In order to test it, I was sending an email to my @gmail.com account. But it was using the @mobileemail.vodafone.net account when I sent to this address.

Thus, I can't really see why this would be an intentional design? (if I was sending an email to the @mobileemail.vodafone.net address, I could see how it might be).
Old 08-14-2008, 06:38 AM   #8
dak244
Thumbs Must Hurt

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogman
Quote:
Originally Posted by dak244 View Post

Sorry - my explanation may have been unclear. I want my default address to be my @gmail.com account. But it was defaulting to my @mobileemail.vodafone.net account. In order to test it, I was sending an email to my @gmail.com account. But it was using the @mobileemail.vodafone.net account when I sent to this address.

Thus, I can't really see why this would be an intentional design? (if I was sending an email to the @mobileemail.vodafone.net address, I could see how it might be).
I see what you mean now. I am honestly unsure why it would do that. Maybe the BB assumes that if you want to send an email to yourself you wouldn't want to send it from the same account???

I just tried mine and when I send an email to myself at my gmail account (default email is the gmail account) it still uses my gmail account

Unsure
Old 08-14-2008, 07:26 AM   #9
bogman

Bizarre! anyway - thankfully all the real emails I send are now coming from the account I want them to come from (my gmail account) - so I'm happy. Thanks for the help!
Old 12-11-2008, 08:33 PM   #10
ugzruben

Model: 8110
Carrier: AT&T

I wanted to avoid creating another thread so I hope my question can be answered here.

I have a very similar problem but a little more wierd.

I have a Pearl 8110 running v4.5.0.102 / 2.7.0.85

I have 5 email addresses including the one I primary use and that is set as the default email under the default services option.

Here is the deal.

1. For the most part the default email works except for one (so far as I have discovered). I have doubled checked the "default services" setting and all good. I even thought that maybe there was a setting under the address book under that particular contact that defaults to a different email address and I found nothing. In others words, is there an option under the edit contact part that allows you designate a specific email address to send from. I did not find anything.

2. When I take a picture and I want to send via email it defaults to the 1st email address in my email list (alphabetically). It is a pain because if I want to send a picture via email I have to make sure I chave the "Send From" email because the defaul 1st email is not known by anyone because it is my company's Accounts Payable email (ap@losamigos.com). Therefore, people who get it would be like, from who??????

I hope someone can help me. Thank you in advance
Old 12-11-2008, 09:16 PM   #11
samiam68

ugzruben, I do have the same problem as you and posted my question on blackberry's forum. I think it is a bug, I don't recall having that problem with 4.3 only after I upgraded to 4.5.0.77 (Pearl 8130).

My default is set for my yahoo account and works fine for that, but when sending an email from the picture menu it defaults to my hotmail account. A member from another site recommended removing my accounts and re-adding them in a different order, but I never tried it since I couldn't see how that would work, like you said they are all in alphabetical order.

I think default should be default no matter what menu you are on in the phone it's sent from.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:17 PM   #12
stylr

Model: 8300
Carrier: ATT

here's a tip I found that works: I think it's just putting the email addy's in alphabetical order and using the first one on the list. I have 2 email addy's and the one I didn't want to use started with an A. So I went into BIS, renamed that email (not the email addy itself, just the name of the email account) with a Z in front of it, and resent service books. Now when I take a picture, it defaults to the one I normally use. Works as a work around for me, not sure if it will for everyone though.

You can also add an "A" to the one you want to be default and it will show at the top of the list.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:26 AM   #13
SELoggOff

Model: 9000
Carrier: vodafone UK

i dont think this is a bug. as i have noticed the email address you have used previously (either by first contact with them or by most recent contact with them im not sure which) seems to be the "default". if you have not contacted them before then "default" will default to your selected default (ie, gmail instead of vodafone email) i think your over complicating things by assuming that it cares about your email provider and sending emails to yourself

does my rambling make any sense?

Last edited by SELoggOff; 04-13-2009 at 10:29 AM..
Old 04-13-2009, 11:15 AM   #14
Teksu
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
PIN: PM me

In my experience the default email is set under

Messages ->options -> email reconciliation (spelling?)

you should be able to edit options for the different accounts.
The key here is to have the one you want to be your default the last one you edit, and thus have it being displayed on the screen when you save.

Last edited by Teksu; 04-13-2009 at 11:17 AM..
Closed Thread