Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 01:38 PM   #1
wingrider78
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

Please Login to Remove!

Wirelessly posted (8320 Titanium)

IMHO it seems like half the people who go out and buy a BB, don't know what the heck they are buying. Then, they don't do a proper search to find their answer. The data plan issue is my biggest pet peave...I don't have a data plan, why do I need one, you don't with the other phone I had before, what do I need it for???

Here is how I read this question...

I just bought a new car, but I can't get it to work. I read that I need GAS to make it work, but my old bicycle didn't need gas, why does this need gas???

IT NEEDS GAS TO MAKE IT WORK PROPERLY!!!

<Rant end>
Old 04-19-2009, 01:55 PM   #2
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingrider78 View Post

IMHO it seems like half the people who go out and buy a BB, don't know what the heck they are buying. Then, they don't do a proper search to find their answer. The data plan issue is my biggest pet peave...I don't have a data plan, why do I need one, you don't with the other phone I had before, what do I need it for???

Here is how I read this question...

I just bought a new car, but I can't get it to work. I read that I need GAS to make it work, but my old bicycle didn't need gas, why does this need gas???

IT NEEDS GAS TO MAKE IT WORK PROPERLY!!!

<Rant end>
You've got my vote buddy.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/rant...-bb-plans.html
Old 04-19-2009, 01:56 PM   #3
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Wirelessly posted (Its All About the U!)

I agree with your data plan comment

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 04-19-2009, 01:57 PM   #4
Raptor464
Kid Tested. Mom Approved.

Model: 9700
PIN: eapple under the sea
Carrier: T-mobile USA

Wirelessly posted

That is a very good analogy. I think a lot of it has to do with customer service reps not providing information to the end user.
Old 04-19-2009, 02:00 PM   #5
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor464 View Post
Wirelessly posted

That is a very good analogy. I think a lot of it has to do with customer service reps not providing information to the end user.
True, but they can't take 100% of the blame. People must take responsibility for not doing their own research.
Old 04-19-2009, 02:11 PM   #6
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

I agree, it's frustrating. I understand some users want a BB without a data plan, and never attempt to use the features included in the data plan. There's nothing wrong with that. My issue is the ones that don't want to purchase the data plan but yet want the features that are included in said data plan.
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 04-19-2009, 02:28 PM   #7
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsconyers View Post
I agree, it's frustrating. I understand some users want a BB without a data plan, and never attempt to use the features included in the data plan. There's nothing wrong with that. My issue is the ones that don't want to purchase the data plan but yet want the features that are included in said data plan.
Absolutely. If they went into it knowing that data features won't work, then that is fine.
Old 04-19-2009, 02:31 PM   #8
dankarlinski
BlackBerry Master

Model: 1
Carrier: 1

Wirelessly posted (My Bold)

Agree 100%
Old 04-19-2009, 03:19 PM   #9
wingrider78
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

If they went into knowing that data wouldn't work...we wouldn't see the questions that I was venting about. Then I'd be happy again
Old 04-19-2009, 03:34 PM   #10
rachamphetamine
BBF Moderator

Model: --
PIN: E SOL
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
x2.
Old 04-19-2009, 04:55 PM   #11
hrbuckley
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: LEZ10
Carrier: Rogers CA

Quote:
Hear! Hear!

Then they call you names when you try to help them.
Old 04-19-2009, 05:35 PM   #12
Flight714
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9550
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

I wouldn't blame sales reps for customers not knowing about data package. I'm a rep for a particular retailer of VZW and while I'm constantly explaining the data package (which, I'm sure, you're all aware is required on Big Red), I only rarely come across someone who didn't know about it until after they purchased the BB. I think advertising is the bigger issue; I hardly ever see any disclaimer about the $29.99 monthly fee tacked on to those "Buy One Get One Free" ads (may they rot in hell).
Honestly, I don't want most people buying BB's as it is. Most people that come into my store don't need them, and the ones that want one usually just want some corporate hipcandy without the terrible burden of its learning curve on their shoulders. I don't want to sell some 50 year old retired machinist a Curve and then have them come back and play 20,000 questions about how to turn the speakerphone off, especially when he'd like the Voyager or just about any other dumbphone better due to sheer simplicity.

But I agree completely that consumers need to do more research themselves. Frankly, I don't see anyone getting better at this anytime soon. Most of the people who walk in our door want to do as little thinking as possible. I recently had a customer tell me that I should have told her about the restocking fee notice on the return policy that she signed after buying a Storm, and that even though it's the customer's job to read the fine print, it was somehow my fault she didn't know about it. Believe me, she's no exception to the rule, and these people aren't going to turn it around anytime soon.
Old 04-19-2009, 05:47 PM   #13
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight714 View Post
I wouldn't blame sales reps for customers not knowing about data package. I'm a rep for a particular retailer of VZW and while I'm constantly explaining the data package (which, I'm sure, you're all aware is required on Big Red), I only rarely come across someone who didn't know about it until after they purchased the BB. I think advertising is the bigger issue; I hardly ever see any disclaimer about the $29.99 monthly fee tacked on to those "Buy One Get One Free" ads (may they rot in hell).
Honestly, I don't want most people buying BB's as it is. Most people that come into my store don't need them, and the ones that want one usually just want some corporate hipcandy without the terrible burden of its learning curve on their shoulders. I don't want to sell some 50 year old retired machinist a Curve and then have them come back and play 20,000 questions about how to turn the speakerphone off, especially when he'd like the Voyager or just about any other dumbphone better due to sheer simplicity.

But I agree completely that consumers need to do more research themselves. Frankly, I don't see anyone getting better at this anytime soon. Most of the people who walk in our door want to do as little thinking as possible. I recently had a customer tell me that I should have told her about the restocking fee notice on the return policy that she signed after buying a Storm, and that even though it's the customer's job to read the fine print, it was somehow my fault she didn't know about it. Believe me, she's no exception to the rule, and these people aren't going to turn it around anytime soon.
You're an exception to the rule when it comes to sales people then.
Old 04-20-2009, 04:28 AM   #14
CoDudette
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: iOS
PIN: OT Noir.
Carrier: Vodafone IN

See, you guys have a lot of different data plans, with different combos and offers.

When you buy a BB here, (again depending on the carrier), you get about 2-3 options. Vodafone has one plan only. however, you pay an x amount for BB sevices per month, which includes.. unlimited usage of data, browsing, mms, downloads etc. but that does NOT include your regular phone plan. you pay separate for it. which is pretty much nothing.

What pisses me off is that people buy BB's for the heck of it, or to show off. i know people who have Bolds just to show everyone that they own a BlackBerry. They know NOTHING. Not even using freakin' messenger. I hate the fact they don't know the data plans, the features.. and whether the bb they've chosen is suited for them. and they blame the sales rep.

i was at the vodafone store the other day and this girl was using a pearl. she was shouting at the rep..'why am i being charged for sms when i'm on a blackberry plan' and i fell over laughing. and he tried telling her that the bb plan doesn't include sms etc and sms is not data etc.. and she cancelled her contract because she felt she was being cheated. and refused to understand that sms isn't data.

I looked at her and just said.. 'didn't you do any research?'
she was like... she wanted a bb cause all her friends had one and she didn't know anything about the plans. i just didn't know what to tell her!
Closed Thread