BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 03:40 PM   #1
clubchucker
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Strange "rave", but VX8600 (with story)

Please Login to Remove!

Ok, so just to set the story up:

I'm a Storm owner. Hate the friggin' thing and am about at the end of my rope. However, this is not another Storm rant. I've just about decided that I'm going to switch carriers (since Verizon doesn't seem to give a rats-ass about a POS phone) and go get an 8900.

So instead of breaking my contract, I figured I'd just take my "Blackberry" stuff off the current Storm line (on a family plan). That way instead of giving Verizon $175 or so...it costs me $10 a month and I can always use the dumb phone for the house (we're all cell..no landline).

So I have an old Verizon VX8600. That was the black flip one by Verizon. It was my last "dumb" phone. I honestly loved that phone but then I got lured into the world of BlackBerrys. Now the Storm wasn't my first BB-that was the Pearl. I had the Pearl for oh...probably over a year. Then the Storm for the last 6 months. So add that up...been at least 18 months since I even looked at the old flip.

My plan was to go in and just have them switch back this line to the old flip. Problem being: I can't find the friggin' charger! I have oh....10-15 old cell phones around here (between wife and me). And I can't find the damn charger so I can take it in just long enough for me to switch. Now what?

So I don't know why....but I hit the power button. Over 18 months after anyone last touched it...and the damn thing still has 2 bars! I about crapped when it even came on. Just figured it was dead as a doornail.

Anyone looking for a dumb phone...can't go wrong with the VX8600!!
Old 05-13-2009, 03:54 PM   #2
CO_BBTechie
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

Verizon may not allow you to remove the data plan from the line though... if you get someone who's "by the book" they may claim that it's a BlackBerry contract and requires a BlackBerry data plan.
Old 05-13-2009, 04:10 PM   #3
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

party pooper, CO

good story, great ending, good battery

but I am curious what VZW does do re the contract
Old 05-13-2009, 04:43 PM   #4
CO_BBTechie

Indeed... though I'd argue that VZW is the true party pooper!
Old 05-13-2009, 04:44 PM   #5
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

no personal experience, but I'd say true based on what I read
Old 05-13-2009, 04:48 PM   #6
clubchucker
Thumbs Must Hurt

Yeah I haven't even faced the whole "will they" with Verizon yet; I was just trying to figure out what I could do. Cross that bridge when I get to it. I just thought it was cool that the old flip phone held a charge for that long. Actually I was amazed....
Old 05-13-2009, 05:00 PM   #7
Flight714
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9550

If they do tell you that you're under contract, they're full of it. There is no contract with the BB plan on VZW, only the line itself. If you're on a secondary line (the 9.99 a month from what it sounds like), then when they change the ESN over to the 8600, the BB plan should automatically get taken off.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:14 PM   #8
CO_BBTechie

Perhaps I misspoke... I do know they require a BB plan if you wish to activate a BB with them. But I suspect you'll run into knuckle heads that don't understand the rationale provided by flight... I do agree with with flight however. if you remove the BB from the line they should not require you to maintain a BB plan.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:35 PM   #9
Flight714
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9550

Absolutely, there are a ton of reps out there that are willing to tell people flat out lies to customers if there's something to gain from it. If for some reason the rep takes a commission hit or loses out on their data metrics for the month, I'm sure you can find plenty that will make up a reason why they can't do it. I'm an indirect rep, and the way it works for us is if a customer removes a data feature from their account that we put on, we get a chargeback on our commission provided it has been within about 3 months. If you've had the feature on the phone for more than that, I don't see why they'd refuse unless they really were knuckleheads. They exist too, unfortunatly.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:00 PM   #10
clubchucker
Thumbs Must Hurt

Update: did decide to go into a store tonight...and the Storm is His-To-Ry. Back to the dumb phone for now (not sure if I'm going to reactivate my Pearl with them or go to the 8900). No hassles at all, other than the rep giving the normal corporate line

"You know there's a new update getting ready to come out that will fix a lot of issues".

Yes, I did laugh at him after that comment. He kind of looked at me. "Dude...heard that for 6 months".

"Oh well I haven't heard of anyone (stressed anyone) having any problems with the Storm"

My exact reply was "today must be your first day on the job then".

In any event, no charge to activate the old 8600 even if it's just for a day or two. Just thought you'd all want to know.
Old 05-14-2009, 05:11 AM   #11
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

I have an 8600 as well it is a great phone indeed
Old 05-17-2009, 05:19 PM   #12
ScottRPriester
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: STORM
Carrier: VERIZON WIRELESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_BBTechie View Post
Verizon may not allow you to remove the data plan from the line though... if you get someone who's "by the book" they may claim that it's a BlackBerry contract and requires a BlackBerry data plan.
There's never a problem switching from one phone to another, no matter if it's a smartphone or any ole' cell.
Closed Thread