Old 05-28-2009, 01:54 PM   #1
FrogDog
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
PIN: I've been barcoded!
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Wirelessly posted

Well it was time for another upgrade and here I was facing another decision. Do I keep with my trusted 8300 or try something new. My 8300 has been bullet proof surviving tough conditions and never a single failure! But, there's the Iphone and Bold! What to do? Well based on my expeirence with BB I decided to go Bold. I have this for only two days and it has frozen up and rebooted it self twice. Plus I had to pull battery after third freeze at the start of my session here at BBF. The call quality stinks compared to my 8300. Am I missing something? Will it get better?
Old 05-28-2009, 02:01 PM   #2
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

Wirelessly posted (overwhelmingly stressed)

I'm having no problems with my bold! Might want to try an OS upgrade. If within 30 days go have it swapped in store
Old 05-28-2009, 02:11 PM   #3
kirrinjones
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

PIN: 208E7C41
Carrier: LIME, Jamaica

Wirelessly posted

I'm not having those issues either. I must admit that at first it was slow to respond and calls were a bit "pitchy". But then I upgraded my OS and its been great ever since. I currently run .247 and that's because I'm having no issues whatsoever, so my next OS upgrade will be 5.0.

A lot of persons are running .266 and are just as happy, so if you are so inclined, you can checkout the sticky post within the Bold forum, and follow those instructions and do an upgrade and see how you fair out afterwards.
Old 05-28-2009, 02:17 PM   #4
FrogDog

Wirelessly posted

I upgraded the OS first thing out of the box. Had service books resent and for the first several hours all was great, til today. If it continues I'll return it for another try. I had already ordered my Otterbox for it. I have been lucky for a long time regarding cell phones, maybe luck is running out? I know these things are mass manufactured and there will be a few with issues but I'll still stick with BB.
Old 05-30-2009, 12:45 PM   #5
FrogDog

Wirelessly posted

After reinstalling the original .167 OS my Bold has operated up to its advertised splender. Unsure how the .266 affected it so substantially causing it to be unstable. However, I am enjoying my new Bold. I would like to clean up some of the nonesential .cods t free up some space and power. I have used the sticky to trim my 8300 but unsure what Bold .cods can be safely removed. If anyone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

Thank you to everyone for all the great posts! I have always found helpful information and have learned quite a bit from BBF!
Old 05-30-2009, 12:55 PM   #6
fonejunkie
Just me

Model: iFone
PIN: Not on my iPhone5
Carrier: iPhone5 on AT&T Mobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogDog View Post
Wirelessly posted

After reinstalling the original .167 OS my Bold has operated up to its advertised splender. Unsure how the .266 affected it so substantially causing it to be unstable. However, I am enjoying my new Bold. I would like to clean up some of the nonesential .cods t free up some space and power. I have used the sticky to trim my 8300 but unsure what Bold .cods can be safely removed. If anyone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

Thank you to everyone for all the great posts! I have always found helpful information and have learned quite a bit from BBF!
As a source of basic information, I'd highly recommend this treatise written by John Clark:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ee-memory.html

And a good tool for getting the "big stuff" is CrackMem. I have used it for upgrading OS for both my Curves and my Bold.

CrackMem V3.x released - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com

Last edited by fonejunkie; 05-30-2009 at 12:57 PM..
Old 05-31-2009, 12:04 PM   #7
BBFanboy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogDog View Post
Wirelessly posted

I'd say that's a bit drastic - there are a lot of good os's after .167
I had the same issue with .266 - and found the solution was wiping the data and redoing enterprise activation. Please read my post in that thread.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:09 AM   #8
FrogDog

Wirelessly posted

Thanks for the input fonejunkie. I reinstalled .266 using Crackmem and everything is working very well. So far no problems. I just incased my Bold in a Otterbox so it should be good to go!