BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 10:03 PM   #1
Priest

Model: 7520
Default My friend gave me a 7520!! Need Help...

Please Login to Remove!

Hello Everyone!

My friend works at a Nextel store where they get trade-ins all the time, and he just gave me a near-new condition BlackBerry 7520. The only problem is - it's only the BlackBerry device.

So what I am trying to find out now is what else do I need to acquire to get this up and running. I know that I need to buy a charger, and a USB cable. Do I need to get both the Desktop Software and the Handheld software?

Is there any place to pickup a manual for it, and what kind of case is the best?

I already have Nextel service so I just need to switch over my service to the 7520. Can anyone give me details on Nextel's service with the BB?

Well, I've asked enough questions. So thanks to everyone/anyone who can help me out.

Thanks!
Priest
Old 12-07-2005, 11:46 PM   #2
tregrad
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: nextel

If your "friend" works there then wouldnt HE be the one to ask?....just curious, I mean he works at a Nextel STORE for cryin out loud and if he is such a good "friend" that he "gave" you a practacly brand new BB then he must have "access" to alot of the stuff you need.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:54 PM   #3
mike_187
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8100
Carrier: AT&T

you can use only usb cable to charge, or ac adapter, w/e u like. best case would be the oem leather case they work very well and have a sleep function.
also you need handheld software to charge bb on the computer and to load software as well. desktop manager you only need for sync. but i would install both makes life easier.
Old 12-08-2005, 07:38 PM   #4
Priest

Thanks for the help tregrad! If you have any other assumptions to make, don't hesitate to let us know!

-p-
Old 12-08-2005, 07:50 PM   #5
tregrad

Nope I think that just about rounds it out. But if you really want some I do have plenty in stock.
"son? Where did you get that new bike?........uhh (looking around feverishly when all the sudden a light goes on over his head....DING!) "my frined gave it to me dad" LOLOLOL
Old 12-08-2005, 09:17 PM   #6
PGChi
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: TMobile

Did you check out the Nextel website. It has the downloadable PDF manual. http://nextelonline.nextel.com/en/su...s/bb7520.shtml
Old 12-08-2005, 09:48 PM   #7
nyc_medic
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100g
Carrier: AT&T
Default sounds kinda funny

If you good friend gave it to you he should be able to get you everything you need to get it up and running. He would be the best source of accessories you need.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:13 PM   #8
europamo

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

you will need a data plan as well to go with the device. Nextel will force this on you. Unlimited plan is 49.99 per month on top of whatever your voice plan is.

Cases, chargers, data cables, well you can find those anywhere.

but then again, I would have to agree, this does sound funny, if my freind who worked at a Nextel store just gave me a BB and didnt tell me or give me anything else
Alexandre Dumas
Old 12-08-2005, 10:25 PM   #9
Aguyindallas

Model: 8700
Carrier: T-Mobile

At the risk of not trying to sound like a jacker, I agree with what has been said above. If your friend has the hookup on the unit, he surely has the hookup on the stuff you need to go with it.

I certainly dont want to poke fingers, but it sounds fishy....

Now - 8700G
Old 12-08-2005, 11:06 PM   #10
ShaneToronto
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8300r
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

Give the guy a break. The story sounds lame, but who cares- not about the story. At least he didn't ask how to turn the backlight on or why his berry opens emails when he pulls it out of his holster.. :p

If it's a hot blackberry, he's going to have trouble activating it on nextel.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:18 AM   #11
europamo

Model: 8830

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneToronto
If it's a hot blackberry, he's going to have trouble activating it on nextel.
Alexandre Dumas
Old 12-09-2005, 01:22 AM   #12
tregrad

Yeah, I just like to rouse people when they say this kind of stuff. It may be legit but then again it may not be.
Shane said it best, it its Hot then there will be trouble.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:21 PM   #13
Priest

Thanks guys! Well, it is legit and I guess I should have worded my original post better, but I didn't think "how" I got it was as important as the questions I was asking.

To clear things up, it's a refurbished model that he got from work and had planned on using himself. He owned me money and knew that I wanted a BlackBerry so he offered to give me the blackberry instead of the money. The only problem, he said, was that I needed to buy a charger for it.

I have since talked to my friend to find out what I need, instead of just expecting him to give me the accessories. But I thought I'd get answers quicker here since both he and I work crazy shifts and don't talk quite as often.

Yes, I know that if it were stolen I coulnd't activate it, but he assures me that it's legit, and I know him enough to know that he doesn't steal.

Anyway, I feel like I've had to unnecessarily explain myself to a group of strangers. "So, hey... welcome to the forums, Priest."

Thanks for the help, from the few who offered it.

-Priest-
Old 12-10-2005, 09:27 PM   #14
Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by europamo
you will need a data plan as well to go with the device. Nextel will force this on you. Unlimited plan is 49.99 per month on top of whatever your voice plan is.
Yeah, I was just talking to Nextel about that today. My friend says they like to force it on you because they get a big commission from the $49.99 data plan.

I'm coming from a Sidekick II, so the $49.99 plan on top of my $49.99 voice plan does sound a bit extreme. Especially considering it was only $40.00 combined with the sidekick.

-Priest-
Old 12-10-2005, 09:57 PM   #15
ELA

Model: Tour

Good luck and enjoy the new BB. I read your post and didn't see the big deal. I am a brand new BB user (Day 6) so I couldn't help you one bit, LOL, nor am I part of the BB police, LOL.

Enjoy.

Eric
Old 12-11-2005, 10:20 PM   #16
Joeyb1

Download the manual from BB website. Download the most recent desktop software there too. Both are free. Install MS Outlook first on the computer you will be synching with. Any USB cable will work. It will also charge the unit so you dont actually need a charger too. I use the belt clip that came with the unit - I think it holds the BB well. All the cases I've tried just hinder typing or viewing the screen. And yes, you must sign up with BB service through Nextel. Just make sure you spring for the unlimited plan or else you will be in for a rude awakening when the first bill comes in. Make sure the unit came with a SIM card 'cause the one with your existing phone wont work. (so I have been told). I think this answers your quesions. Sorry I didnt get to you first. It all seemed so mysterious to me at first too.
Closed Thread