BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-20-2005, 04:36 PM   #161
RudyBerkvens

Model: 7280
Default Will I be charged?

Please Login to Remove!

I have my BB though the company and I believe were on a unlimited data plan, I have no voice or sms. my question is will I be charged for using ramble or does it use the unlimited data plan? BTW ramble works fine ofr me in a 7280 BB on Cingular.

Thanks for your help.
Old 10-27-2005, 04:04 PM   #162
Heboil

Model: 8130
Carrier: Telus

Do any IM clients allow you to be chatting, but automatically disconnect when a phone call comes through?
Old 10-31-2005, 07:05 AM   #163
sirgruffil
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9500
Carrier: Vodafone
Default Anyone tried Yak On!

As the title. I see it's been in beta a while, I wondered if anyone had any comparisons to make with other IM clients.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:04 AM   #164
Khue
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

For those of you who are trillian users:
http://www.iknow.ca/imeverywhere/

Its a pretty interesting application. I have tried it a bit on my BB and it's got potential. Basically it turns your home computer with trillian on it to a WebServer of sorts. Just so you guys know, there are a lot of drawbacks to it. A LOT. But it does show some potential. I especially like the fact I don't have to pay for something I already have. I think this justifies the payment of 25 bucks a year for trillian.

If the speed is improved and the author generates an optimized web interface for BB's this would be an awesome freeware addon (if you have Trillian that is).
Old 11-07-2005, 08:47 AM   #165
ptzchris
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7520

nvm the post delete if you can

BEFORE : Nextel 7520

NOW: Tmobile 7105t succesfully connected as a modem and loving it

Last edited by ptzchris; 11-07-2005 at 09:15 AM..
Old 12-02-2005, 12:09 PM   #166
TurboGolfKid

Model: 7100t

i am using a BlackBerry 7100t and when i loaded Ramble it now says

"Invalid Connection String
Could not open
tunnel-failed"

anyone have any tips to get ramble working?
Old 12-05-2005, 09:37 AM   #167
Zharin
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800g
Carrier: verizon

God bless ramble!

Also, I remember I had that tunnel problem before the aol killed ramble. I just kept trying to log in and it worked on like the 3rd or 4th try. Maybe its akin to a busy signal?
Old 12-05-2005, 11:46 AM   #168
nb_mitch
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

I have tried Tak-On on my 7290 and 8700 and will buy it when my trail runs out. It works great for me for AOL IM (only IM I use right now). I also haven't noticed much battery usage, but I only chat about 30 minutes a day or so, 4-5 calls, 50-80 email and browse 30 minutes/day and my battery is lasting about 4 days.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:25 AM   #169
tjane1231

Model: 7290

Okay, I am VERY new to this. I want to download one of the products, just for AIM, and I'm not sure which route to go with. I would apperciate any help you can give me.

What should I do when it comes to paying for unlimited AIM? I am with Cingular by the way and a BB 7290. I get a 20% discount on my bill, so I am not too worried with it. Which program would you all perfer? I need something that is a little more simple, and doesn't take a genius to figure out.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:28 PM   #170
JP Mobility
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700r

Hey, I don't want to sift thru pages of possibly irrelevant info.

I just want to know what's a cheap (if possible free) and efficient way of using MSN messenger on my 8700r.

Thanks in advance
Old 12-15-2005, 12:46 AM   #171
torifile
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Mobility
Hey, I don't want to sift thru pages of possibly irrelevant info.

I just want to know what's a cheap (if possible free) and efficient way of using MSN messenger on my 8700r.

Thanks in advance
You know, you can search *within* this thread, right? That'll save you some time. But the thread's only 4.5 pages long, so it wouldn't take you THAT long...

Last edited by torifile; 12-15-2005 at 12:48 AM..
Old 12-15-2005, 02:46 PM   #172
coach05

Model: 7290
Default VeriChat difficulties

Hello,

I began using VeriChat in October without problems. I updated my blackberry software to 4.0.2.49 on Tuesday of this week. VeriChat no longer works; I get the "could not open tunnel" message. I have check all of my TCP settings and they seem to be correct. APN: wap.cingular Username for APN: [email address] Password for APN: CINGULAR1

Do you have any other suggestions. I have contacted Cingular and the support team at VeriChat and they seem to have no answers.

Thank you,

Paul Thomas
909 869-2824
Old 12-16-2005, 06:49 AM   #173
ken.campbell

Model: 8800
Carrier: Rogers

Hi all,

I'm searching for someone who has used IM and seen the effects on data usage. I just picked up the 8700r (with Rogers) and sleep with it under my pillow, I love it (was on a 6280). EDGE rocks - very fast.

I'm not on a BES - just a regular user with a personal account with Rogers. Rogers' "unlimited" Blackberry service actually means a surcharge over their max usage is "possible" - which really means "probable" according to the gent who sold the unit to me.

So, I'm wondering - do the messenger services running in the background burn data even when not messenging? From what I've been able to pick up surfing the net, the WAP versions do, as they've got to "poll the server", but if your TCP is set to the appropriate APN, usage is much less as you've got an IP address (I barely understand what I've just written).

Both Quick IM and the new Yahoo Messenger for Blackberry work great with this APN setup on my 8700 - fast and fun. However, I am concerned about leaving it up and running full-time if I'm burning data just by having it going in the background.

There's my long story...so if anyone has any feedback, please enlighten me with your experiences and/or technical wisdom, either here on the forum or via my PIN (that would be cool, I've never gotten a Blackberry Messenger message before!) I am -

Curious Ken at 2039747E
Old 12-19-2005, 02:02 PM   #174
phillyg1

Model: 7230
Default UK O2 7230 IM Probs - Please help

Hi,

Just got my Blackberry and need to set up some IM software to work with my Hotmail address on MSN. I'm not using a BES and have set up my emails through the online login.

My Blackberry is through the Carphone Warehouse, 7230, data enabled and on o2.

I ordered the IM+ from Handango and set it up as instructed. I also ensured my O2 wap and APN settings were as the instructions at the beginning of the thread. Also, the phone already has all the o2 IP settings built in and does work using the WAP, Secure WAP and internet browser.

I also am demo'ing the verichat as suggested at the beginning of the thread, yet cannot get either to work.

My issues are:

IM+ - Service List>> *services aren't loaded* >> Registering...

and

I have tried unsuccessfully to register both the trial and the paid registration?

Verichat - Connection timed out.

Please can anyone help, I need it to work to keep intouch with my team whilst in Aus over the new year.

Cheers,

Phil
Old 12-19-2005, 09:42 PM   #175
ken.campbell

Model: 8800
Carrier: Rogers
Default REPLY TO: UK O2 7230 IM Probs - Please help

Hi Phil,

I tried out IM+ and Quick IM, found Quick IM much better - quicker, and IM+ tends to lie and say people are on-line when they aren't. Quick IM lets you know when you lose a connection.

It was a breeze to set up - and isn't WAP-based, so data usage is less (According to their tech support, the only times data is used on the TCP setup is whenever you send a message or there's a change to your contacts - i.e. someone goes on- or off-line).

Quick IM doesn't allow you to choose Vibrate as an option, but that's the only downside I've got so far...and I'm not the biggest fan of the way the chat window works - but other than that I'm pretty happy with it. You should demo it and see what you think.

I'm on a BB 8700 and setting the TCP up was easy...but as long as your BB is fairly recent, you shouldn't have difficulty...is your BB software 3.8 or 4?

Ken (pin 2039747E, if you want to BB Messenger me directly)
Old 12-20-2005, 06:13 PM   #176
InspireS

Model: 8700r
Default IM on 8700r w/Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken.campbell
Hi all,

So, I'm wondering - do the messenger services running in the background burn data even when not messenging? From what I've been able to pick up surfing the net, the WAP versions do, as they've got to "poll the server", but if your TCP is set to the appropriate APN, usage is much less as you've got an IP address (I barely understand what I've just written).
Hi Ken,

I am also wondering the same thing. I just picked up my 8700r yesterday, and I am a first time BB user. I am contemplating on purchasing the IM+ however am concerned, like you are, about burning up data if I keep it on continuously. Any 8700r users with experience with this, please post your comments. Much appreciated!

If you have the appropriate APN settings for Rogers, could you be so kind to send them my way?

Thanks!

Eric

Last edited by InspireS; 12-20-2005 at 06:16 PM..
Old 12-20-2005, 09:16 PM   #177
auggie4000

Model: 8700g
PIN: 23F78D7A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Question Phone Interference Issue and more!

I have been reading and reading and reading on this forum for a long time. Thank you to all who contribute, I have learned so much about this little electronic device I love so much...

Here is my question(s):

I have a BB 7520 (NEXTEL). I have noticed, when I have Ramble or VeriChat running in the background, most of the time my BB doesn't ring when receiving a call, instead I just get a voicemail notification, if they leave a VM, sometimes instantly, sometimes not until I actually make a phone call. So, obviously these programs are using data and consequently keeping the BB in data mode and sending my incoming calls directly to voice mail.

Is there any way to stop this from happening (settings)? The type of work I do requires me to keep an IM connection (AIM most importantly). And since the 7520 doesn't support full SMS service, I am stuck using a third party program.

What about SMS on the 7520, I have read a lot here and other places.....

Is it just a rumor or are they really going to give us SMS with 4.1? Is 4.1 ever going to make it to the 7520? What about the 8700 on NEXTEL? (Sorry for the late barrage of questions..lol)

I thank all in advance for any light that you can shed on my questions. Mark?

Thank you,

Auggie

PIN: 400876F0
Old 01-02-2006, 04:50 AM   #178
pazziontz6

Model: 7100t
Question Blackberry Messenger

Hi iam new here i hope iam right area for this Q How do add a few friends to Blackberry Messenger friends? give me steps to apply
Old 01-05-2006, 12:38 AM   #179
acgarcia

Model: 7130e

I downloaded verichat a few weeks ago on my 7130e. I can log on AIM but it keeps on kicking me out and then logging me back on. Is there a reason why this is happening?

PIN
300E52D0

Last edited by acgarcia; 01-05-2006 at 12:46 AM..
Old 01-07-2006, 04:23 PM   #180
aergina
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8350i
Carrier: ATT & Nextel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboGolfKid
i am using a BlackBerry 7100t and when i loaded Ramble it now says

"Invalid Connection String
Could not open
tunnel-failed"

anyone have any tips to get ramble working?
Same deal with me...7520 Blackberry with Nextel...I'm not getting frustrated cause I know I could get help HERE!
I posted earlier about this...Is there anyone out there with the same problem.

Nevermind...I fixed it!!! Just Disabled Firewall!!

Last edited by aergina; 01-07-2006 at 04:41 PM..
Closed Thread