Kasimir

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Orange
Default 2 questions about blackberry plans

Please Login to Remove!

Hey guys
I will get my first blackberry- the curve 8900 tomorrow-
So I know I will get a plan with unlimited minutes ant text messages but I have to pay extra for email and internet acces. So when I buy the email package do I also need the internet package to use BBM? Because I heard something that I have acces to internet even if I donīt have the internet package because there is a blackberry internet or something like that.
Second question. I live in Austria but I will go to university in the US so I was sondering if I can get a prepaid plan for the blackberry with internet acces and everything because I dont want a regular plan because otherwise I would have to pay during winter and summer break even though I am in Austria
Thanks!
Old 07-20-2009, 05:37 AM   #2
FantasticPhotos
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9630
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasimir View Post
Hey guys
I will get my first blackberry- the curve 8900 tomorrow-
So I know I will get a plan with unlimited minutes ant text messages but I have to pay extra for email and internet acces. So when I buy the email package do I also need the internet package to use BBM? Because I heard something that I have acces to internet even if I donīt have the internet package because there is a blackberry internet or something like that.
Second question. I live in Austria but I will go to university in the US so I was sondering if I can get a prepaid plan for the blackberry with internet acces and everything because I dont want a regular plan because otherwise I would have to pay during winter and summer break even though I am in Austria
Thanks!
my carrier sprint I have the data plan that includes internet and email access. I dont have to pay for two. now if you want email only you can have email only I believe.
Old 07-20-2009, 05:38 AM   #3
Kasimir

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasticPhotos View Post
my carrier sprint I have the data plan that includes internet and email access. I dont have to pay for two. now if you want email only you can have email only I believe.
yeah i know i can only have email.. but if i only take the email package can I use BBM?
Old 07-20-2009, 05:46 AM   #4
SteveO86
BlackBerryForums.com Super Moderator

Model: 9650
PIN: I heard it drop!
Carrier: VZW BIS

If you get the BlackBerry Data Plan you get all data not just email. Also you can't just ask for an "Email" plan data plans are either yes to everything or no to everything. (With the exception of the enterprise BlackBerry data which allows you to activate your BB on a BES)

Follow me on Twitter
Old 07-20-2009, 05:48 AM   #5
Kasimir

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO86 View Post
If you get the BlackBerry Data Plan you get all data not just email. Also you can't just ask for an "Email" plan data plans are either yes to everything or no to everything. (With the exception of the enterprise BlackBerry data which allows you to activate your BB on a BES)
but if i dont have any data plan i canīt use the Blackberry messenger right?
Old 07-20-2009, 05:49 AM   #6
FantasticPhotos
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9630
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO86 View Post
I remember when i had blackberry pearl with tmobile, i had the data plan for a long while, but then to save money i canceled the data plan and was able to have email. Im thinking that is how it was...it really has been a while since i used tmobile it has been a while...i could be wrong
Old 07-20-2009, 06:30 PM   #7
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasimir View Post
but if i dont have any data plan i canīt use the Blackberry messenger right?
Correct. BB Messenger uses the data plan.
Old 07-30-2009, 05:18 PM   #8
Dragonatic

Model: 9000
Carrier: Rogers
Default False!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
Correct. BB Messenger uses the data plan.
LOL!! FALSE!!....... You don't need a data plan for BBMessenger....

I have a "email only" package that include unlimited emails, unlimited SMS/MMS and unlimited IM that include : Windows live, google talk, yahoo messenger AND Blackberry Messenger

When you buy a blackberry you have 2 choices of plan : data plan (that include emails + internet access for internet applications like GPS, Internet, Facebook....etc) and the email only plan... Thats what I use...
Old 07-30-2009, 05:30 PM   #9
Heavy Fluid
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9930
PIN: Ask please
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonatic View Post
LOL!! FALSE!!....... You don't need a data plan for BBMessenger....

I have a "email only" package that include unlimited emails, unlimited SMS/MMS and unlimited IM that include : Windows live, google talk, yahoo messenger AND Blackberry Messenger

When you buy a blackberry you have 2 choices of plan : data plan (that include emails + internet access for internet applications like GPS, Internet, Facebook....etc) and the email only plan... Thats what I use...
This is carrier dependent. Some CDMA providers require a full data plan, like Verizon.
Old 07-30-2009, 05:49 PM   #10
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Carrier: Tesco Mobile

Whereas T-mob UK the blackberry email booster is just email data and to use internet and apps, you need their unlimited internet/web n walk plan.

you really need to ask orange austria's technical support about it. I asked t-mob's who confirmed the above.

after looking here:
http://translate.google.co.uk/transl...3Doff%26sa%3DG
(Yes I had to translate it)
I would say with just the Blackberry email you will probably get BBM, but 3rd party apps you may want to use will need the BB email + internet plan.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."

Last edited by MidnightDraven; 07-30-2009 at 05:52 PM..
Old 07-30-2009, 06:15 PM   #11
Dragonatic

Carrier: Rogers

Yea, it depend of your carrier but for most of them, if you only chose the email only plan, you will still be able to use BBM... Don't worry

like I said.... and like Midnightdraven said
Closed Thread