BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 11:37 PM   #1
PaulNguyen

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Cingular/AT&T
Default New Blackberry User Looking to avoid unforeseen charges.

Please Login to Remove!

Hi,

My name is Paul. Anyhow, I've been handed down a 8310 (and so far I'm loving it). I've had a history of making expensive mistakes in my lifetime (so far none with phone services); however, I'm ready to change all that by starting with this blackberry.

My plan, so far as I know, has no subscribed data plan included. I once had a cousin who racked up over $1000 dollars in fees because he thought he could use the internet all he wanted on his iphone. Anyhow, I'd like to avoid that by asking a few questions (I've looked through the FAQ for this but I just wanted some confirmation).

1) Can I update the OS with software from blackberry's website free of charge? (Because I've already done it via USB cable and I'm dreading the consequences.)

2) Can I install third party apps via USB cable with out fear of charges? (I found a stopwatch app somewhere in these forums and already put it in. Also dreading the possible consequences.)

3) If 2 = true, is anyone familiar with gWhiz line of applications? I was tempted to purchase it; however, it mentioned somewhere that it needed an internet subscription. Shame, as I am an aspiring College student and use flash cards / graphing calculators all the time.

Things I have already done without throughly (That's definately not how you spell that...) researching the data plan conditions:

-followed this tutorial: "Losing Call Logs, SMS or Emails? Optimize your BB! How To Setup for max free memory!"

-updated my bb device software to 4.5

-installed stopwatch

-installed bb desktop manager software choosing the BES option. (Although I'm not a part of an enterprise i believe...)

someone please reassure me that i haven't crossed the data fee threshold....
Old 07-25-2009, 12:27 AM   #2
Heavy Fluid
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9930
PIN: Ask please
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Before you make a potentially expensive mistake, I would just add a BlackBerry data plan onto your exsisting wireless plan. This way you can download and upgrade all you want, without the worries of a massive bill coming.
Old 07-25-2009, 12:48 AM   #3
PaulNguyen

Thanks for the suggestion, Heavy Fluid. I'm considering it; however, I'd like to know if the forementioned actions will rack up charges.

I have a friend with a bb also without a data plan. He wants to know if he can do the above as well.
Old 07-25-2009, 12:53 AM   #4
Heavy Fluid
CrackBerry Addict

You can download the program via Desktop Manager and not get data charges. Now, does the program use data once you start it on the device? That is the big question. Several apps are available for desktop download, but they use data once you run them.

As for updating to 4.5, you do that via DM, but the service books are sent to your phone. I am not sure if that uses data. I have a data plan, so I don't have to worry about that. I could send them 500 times a day and not worry. I get to download apps over the air with no worries also. Themes? Once they are developed for my phone, over the air. Pandora, Google Maps, whatever I want.

Also, without a data plan, you cannot utilize BB Messenger, which is a really nice messaging system that lets you talk to other BB owners once you have their PIN.
Old 07-25-2009, 12:56 AM   #5
PaulNguyen

You've sold me.
Old 07-25-2009, 02:31 PM   #6
Heavy Fluid
CrackBerry Addict

To experience everything the BB has to offer, a data plan really is the way to go. No worries about overages, if this uses data or anything like that.

I really try to convince anyone that is not using a data plan to get one to take full advantage of the device.
Old 07-25-2009, 03:56 PM   #7
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Another vote for getting the BB data plan. Makes everything so much easier - and less expensive than unwanted add on data charges.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 07-25-2009, 04:01 PM   #8
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

Just one bill for data charges with no data plan will potentially cost you more than a year's worth of monthly data plan charges.
Old 07-26-2009, 02:12 AM   #9
PaulNguyen

Yeah, i'm going to talk to the At&t guy tuesday. I've been doing my research, and i can see a very very very fun future with my blackberry + data. Thanks for the pep talk.

Last edited by PaulNguyen; 07-26-2009 at 02:15 AM..
Closed Thread