Closed Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 10:49 AM   #1
image7801

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Storm "clock" spins for a long time when removing from holster

Please Login to Remove!

Hi - When I remove my Storm from the heather pouch/holster, the device will sit there, unresponsive, with the "clock" spinning (it's version of the Windows hour glass) for up to 5 minutes before it allows me to actually "do" anything. Is anyone else experiencing this problem, and is there a solution?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

J.

BlackBerry 9530 Storm
Old 07-29-2009, 11:26 AM   #2
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Wirelessly posted (Its All About the U!)

One thing you can do is go to your security settings and change your compression options. Just a suggestion.

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 07-29-2009, 11:27 AM   #3
neutrax
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: verizon

sometimes i run into this problem this is usually due to excessive programs running. Some people dont realize (i didnt for a long time) unless you click menu then close the program you were on stays running also having some programs on your BB at all will run all the time this cause it to slow down processing speeds ALOT one simple way to resolve this it a Hard reboot (battery pull) and try to make sure that nothing that you need running is left on when not in use. all of the programs function the same on or off they just update when you open them with the exception of programs like google maps with latitude there fore there is no real reason to leave them running in the background when not in use
Old 07-29-2009, 05:04 PM   #4
image7801

Quote:
Originally Posted by akosnitzky View Post
Wirelessly posted (Its All About the U!)

One thing you can do is go to your security settings and change your compression options. Just a suggestion.
Thanks for the suggestion - I've disabled content compression, just to see how it affects performance. It's really frustrating.

J.

BlackBerry 9530 Storm
Old 07-29-2009, 05:06 PM   #5
image7801

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrax View Post
sometimes i run into this problem this is usually due to excessive programs running. Some people dont realize (i didnt for a long time) unless you click menu then close the program you were on stays running also having some programs on your BB at all will run all the time this cause it to slow down processing speeds ALOT one simple way to resolve this it a Hard reboot (battery pull) and try to make sure that nothing that you need running is left on when not in use. all of the programs function the same on or off they just update when you open them with the exception of programs like google maps with latitude there fore there is no real reason to leave them running in the background when not in use
Thanks for the suggestion - I've always make sure to "close" programs, rather than just hit the red button to go home. So, I'm pretty sure that's not it. However, I have lots of 3rd party applications that are on it, so I might need to try disabling them one at a time to see. Things such as WeatherBug, Poynt, Pandora, etc..., although WeatherBug is the only one that runs all the time.
J.

BlackBerry 9530 Storm
Old 07-29-2009, 05:07 PM   #6
image7801

Quote:
Originally Posted by image7801 View Post
Thanks for the suggestion - I've disabled content compression, just to see how it affects performance. It's really frustrating.

J.
Oh, yeah, and I also make sure to keep the GPS turned OFF unless I need it, 'cause I thought that was causing problems, too.

J.

BlackBerry 9530 Storm
Old 07-29-2009, 09:14 PM   #7
RayVoy

Model: Z30
Carrier: Bell Canada

Under Security options, there is a Memory cleaning option.
I have mine set to run when I lock the screen. The clock spins while it is cleaning and then it locks (sometimes takes a few secs).
I'm thinking, you may have yours set to clean as it unlocks.
Turn off the clean feature to see if your problem goes away, if it does, play with the settings.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:34 PM   #8
afd2506

Whenever I have had this problem I shut it down, pull the battery for a few seconds, reinsert the battery and restart the Storm. This seems to get rid of the problem.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:48 AM   #9
image7801

Default Storm "clock" spins... - Solution Found!

By jove, I think I found it... I started removing applications one-by-one, and figured out that WeatherBug was most likely doing it. I deleted the WeatherBug application, and now it's behaving much better. I like WeatherBug, but operationally it was playing havoc. If someone was calling I couldn't even answer it because when I took it out of the holster, it would lock up and keep me from doing anything... As far as the memory cleaning is concerned, I had it set to clean when idle and not clean when holstered. I think I'll switch those two, and see what happens.

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I think we can consider this closed.

BlackBerry 9530 Storm
Old 07-31-2009, 10:29 PM   #10
PhiPsi32

Model: 9350
Default Quick Pull

Don't forget Quick Pull is a free app that let's simulate a battery pull. I use it every couple of days or when the phone seems to slow down.
Old 08-02-2009, 02:10 PM   #11
Jeepman

Model: 9500
Carrier: VZ

I am fairly new to this phone but I noticed that myself. I had to do a hard pull on the battery and then make sure that when in any program I find a close button and push it. Now.. it is as it was when I bought it. I also found that my battery lasts a hell of a lot longer.