Closed Thread

Old 12-16-2005, 01:05 PM   #1
marcfogel
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
Carrier: AT&T
Default Hoster Scratching Silver Bezel

Please Login to Remove!

I just noticed the holster is scratching the silver bezel on the 8700c. Anyone else experience this yet. Will RIM ever get it right.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:13 PM   #2
nautical

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular

i just checked on account of this post and noticed a scratch on mine as well. ugh this device has SO many headaches (even though i like it SO much)
Old 12-16-2005, 02:17 PM   #3
jontalotta
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcfogel
I just noticed the holster is scratching the silver bezel on the 8700c. Anyone else experience this yet. Will RIM ever get it right.
That's nothing new. Same thing happened on 72xx series handhelds on each side of "Blackberry" by the earpiece.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:18 PM   #4
marcfogel
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautical
i just checked on account of this post and noticed a scratch on mine as well. ugh this device has SO many headaches (even though i like it SO much)

I have been using a BB since 1999 and have been pretty loyal. For the first time ever I am considering another solution.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:20 PM   #5
Spin Doctor

Model: 8820

I just noticed the scratches earlier this morning as well. Since I have never dropped it, it can only be caused by the holster. Pretty disappointing.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:27 PM   #6
jontalotta

Be sure to report back to the forum when you find a scratchproof, waterproof, push-email, reads-your-mind-so-you-don't-have-to-read-the-manual, device that many of you expect the BB to be....all for under $300.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:59 PM   #7
luckiweeman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: ATT

Amen Jontalotta, AAAAAMen!
Old 12-16-2005, 03:03 PM   #8
KonTiki
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9650
PIN: 007
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jontalotta
Be sure to report back to the forum when you find a scratchproof, waterproof, push-email, reads-your-mind-so-you-don't-have-to-read-the-manual, device that many of you expect the BB to be....all for under $300.
I agree. I lurked in these channels for so long before I got my first BB. I learned to do searches and how things worked here in general. I also learned about some of the drawbacks that could be faced and in anticipation of some of them prepared myself. One of the first things I learned was that the best solution for storing the device would be anything short of the plastic holster. I tried a few different ones before I was comfortable with one that suited both my needs and protected my BB to the full extent possible. I now use this:

http://www.holsterguy.com/NI-Blackberry%20Holster.htm

After carefully removing that super strong flex-clip, which would have put pressure on the screen area and reading from someone else here (DAWG) how he cracked a screen on one of his BBs using this device.

I have had my BB now for the better part of 8 months and thankfully can say that I have no scratches on either the screen or the device either. I have not dropped it either. Bottom line is you have a very sophisticated and expensive device and the proper care for it should be taken at all times. Dont talk about being disappointed in the device it is not its fault or RIMs for that matter. If there is anyone to blame or praise for the condition and status of your unit, look no further than the mirror.

Running OS 6.0.0.524

Last edited by KonTiki; 12-16-2005 at 03:06 PM..
Old 12-16-2005, 03:16 PM   #9
luckiweeman
Thumbs Must Hurt

I use a small digital camera carry case made by Targus. I found it at CompUSA for 10 bucks. It's padded without looking bulky and the 8700 fits perfectly. It'll do for now while something better comes my way.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:24 PM   #10
Sparkomatic
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: S & Needles
Carrier: I don't even know her

It hasn't scratched my bezel but I have noticed that it's scratching the black keys. Especially the Space key. Must be the direction I'm sliding it in.

It's a plastic case so I'm not too surprised. I just wish BlackBerry would come out with some other cases!
Old 12-16-2005, 05:14 PM   #11
MegaBit

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jontalotta
Ya, sure. I think RIM made some fairly substantial design changes on the 8700 series but still did some things the old way when previous hardware was far more durable. As a business tool that gets heavy use, there are many short comings that people never before experienced with RIM devices. And, the only way it will be fixed on the next version is feedback from all the beta testing going on right now.

You can get a sub-$100 cell phone with superior durability compared to the $300 8700. Materials like hardened glass, magnesium, and other lightweight alloys perform great and don't have gaps in seams or dust inside the screen area.
Old 12-16-2005, 05:17 PM   #12
Tylar
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcfogel
In the ~10 years I've owned a cell phone, i have yet to not inflict some sort of moderate damage to it within one week of owning it. The silver scratching is less than desired, but minimal by comparison to other phones I've owned.

-Tylar
Old 12-16-2005, 06:19 PM   #13
Tinleg

Model: 8700c

Holy cow people.

It's a device. It's plastic. It's clear. It's going to get scratches.

Unless of course you keep it in a velvet lined purse with ergonomically correct memory foam with an abrasion factor less than the softest down pillow. But even so you should probably leave it on your desk so you don't take any risks.

You can baby the thing to no end, COMPLAIN about a little bit of PAINT getting scratched off. You can moan and moan about a COSMETIC problem.

It is a tool people, use it as such. That is not to say that you shouldn't be careful with your device, but for crying out loud... a few scratches on the plastic outside is hardly something to complain about.

Meanwhile, i will keep the thing in my pocket, or in the holster clipped on the visor of my truck. I won't worry about some paint rubbing off, i won't worry about minor scratches. Because it's a TOOL. And what good is a tool you don't use?

By the time you put enough scratches on it to effect the readability a new one will have been released and you will be using it.
Old 12-16-2005, 07:02 PM   #14
marcfogel
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinleg
Holy cow people.

I agree. However I find it odd after using it a week a big chunk is taken out of the bezel from using the supplied holster.

This type of stuff should not happen this quickly.

Here is a scenario: The device gets all scratched up from the holster to the point it looks abused. Will RIM or Cingular exchange it when the dust builds up in the screen.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:28 PM   #15
jontalotta

There is a difference between (i) discussing flaws, and (ii) ranting, asking about class actions, and promoting insurance fraud (all of which have been done over the past couple of days numerous times).

For under $300, you can buy the 8700 and own the most cutting edge personal communication device available to the public. How do you think RIM was able to launch it for $150-$300 less than the launch price of the 7100s, 7200s, and prior lines? It's not just that the components and build labor are getting cheaper. Corners were cut, and so screens are going to be easier to scratch (see iPod Nano....). Besides, scratches on the face from the plastic holster were rife with the 7200s, so that's nothing new.

Put a screen guard on it, forget about the case getting nicked up, and just be happy. That's it. I'm sorry for those who bought the device and didn't put a screen guard on it right away. But, why do you think they are shipped with one on them in the first place?

Next time, maybe these people will think twice about paying through the nose on eBay or calling their carrier 100 times a day to be the earliest adopter, and instead will sit back and let those people who get the new devices through corporate programs be the guinea pigs. Scratches or no scratches, nicks, whatever, it sounds like a great device (I don't have one...yet). Just enjoy it for what it is -- a millionaire's toy that Joe-six-pack can also afford.

JT

Last edited by jontalotta; 12-16-2005 at 09:01 PM..
Old 12-17-2005, 09:12 PM   #16
ad65
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

I am using a 7290 leather holster that works perfectly.
Old 12-17-2005, 11:14 PM   #17
SimpleSimon

Model: 8700c

I'm using my prior Blackberry 7780 RIM leather holster which provides good protection (no standby). I also added a protector on the screen and on the entire battery door to prevent backside scratches.

I wonder if the Rogers version will mask the wear and tear better because of the black exterior case?
Old 12-19-2005, 06:43 AM   #18
marcfogel
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinleg
Holy cow people.

Unless of course you keep it in a velvet lined purse with ergonomically correct memory foam with an abrasion factor less than the softest down pillow. But even so you should probably leave it on your desk so you don't take any risks.

You can baby the thing to no end, COMPLAIN about a little bit of PAINT getting scratched off. You can moan and moan about a COSMETIC problem.

It is a tool people, use it as such. That is not to say that you shouldn't be careful with your device, but for crying out loud... a few scratches on the plastic outside is hardly something to complain about.

Meanwhile, i will keep the thing in my pocket, or in the holster clipped on the visor of my truck. I won't worry about some paint rubbing off, i won't worry about minor scratches. Because it's a TOOL. And what good is a tool you don't use?

By the time you put enough scratches on it to effect the readability a new one will have been released and you will be using it.
I agree with everything you said. However, it is kind of ridiculous that there is a design flaw which adds extra wear and tear from just taking it in and out of the holster.

Your tires wear out from from driving on the road. Suppose your car had a design flaw that caused your tires to wear out faster. Would this be acceptable?
Old 12-19-2005, 07:43 AM   #19
Obsidiank
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800

Its not a design flaw. A design flaw is not sealing the screen properly so dust gets in. A design flaw is using cheap leds so backlight color is off. A design flaw is outsourcinng case builds to the cheapest bid so no two devices are the same. No a holster that scratches a device its meant to protect is just a function of the cost saved by not including a leather case. Ever see a 2000 dollar laptop that has those oils circles where you palms rest from using the keyboard? That's a basic function of the acidic properties of your body oils on paint. That's gonna happen on the bb too. Watch the back where you fingers rest. Anyone ready file suit cause your new toy won't even protect itself from you? Let's go!!
Old 12-19-2005, 03:22 PM   #20
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!

he 8700 is simply not built to the satandards as the older Blackberrys. I have used a 7520 for over a year and it looks like new. The first week my 8700 bezel was scratched and was a good bit of dust under the screen.

Be GONE 8700, be GONE Cingular and hello Netel and a new 7520!
Closed Thread