BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Old 10-30-2009, 08:34 AM   #321
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

Yes, I had the exact same experience with the Youmail app.

I met one of the Pandora engineer techies back in May and he explained to me basically what caused that, and, quite honestly, it was over my head, but basically boils down to the fact that the RIM APIs only allow third party apps to access the data channels on the BlackBerry in a different manner than "RIM authorized apps (like Facebook, Yahoo Messenger, etc)".

For example, Facebook uses your actual BIS stream for data. Youmail does not, and even if you tell it to do so and when it tries, it will fail the operation and drop the signal from EDGE to edge.

A couple third party apps that worked for me were BBWeather, BerryWeather, and the SocialScope beta.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 09:55 AM   #322
withanhdammit
Thumbs Must Hurt

Location: Vancouver, USA (no, the first Vancouver, in Washington...no not DC, the state)
Model: 9700
PIN: check
Carrier: AT&T

I just unlocked my storm and put in my AT&T SIM. It's working so far, I am getting my BES emails, my FaceBook app is working, but my personal email is not. I followed the instructions and am stuck at step 4. I am on the Backup/Restore screen, I hit Advanced, I went File/Open, grabbed the AT&T service books, it's now in the list on the left, but it is grayed out, when I click it to highlight it, the >> to move the installed apps is grayed out, I tried clicking on it anyway, but it is not letting me add this.

Am I missing a step somewhere?

Thanks!

h
Old 10-30-2009, 10:03 AM   #323
withanhdammit
Thumbs Must Hurt

Location: Vancouver, USA (no, the first Vancouver, in Washington...no not DC, the state)

Another question about step 7. Do I have to create an account for BIS to resend the service books? I'm the BES admin at my work, can I use the BES to resend the service books?
Old 10-30-2009, 10:08 AM   #324
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by withanhdammit View Post
I just unlocked my storm and put in my AT&T SIM. It's working so far, I am getting my BES emails, my FaceBook app is working, but my personal email is not. I followed the instructions and am stuck at step 4. I am on the Backup/Restore screen, I hit Advanced, I went File/Open, grabbed the AT&T service books, it's now in the list on the left, but it is grayed out, when I click it to highlight it, the >> to move the installed apps is grayed out, I tried clicking on it anyway, but it is not letting me add this.
If the BlackBerry smartphone is associated with a BES , and the user account associated with the BlackBerry is set for automatic wireless backup, the right arrow button (>>) will be unavailable while attempting to manually restore most databases. To restore these databases manually, complete the following steps:
  1. Delete the Desktop [SYNC] service book from the BlackBerry smartphone by completing the following steps:
    1. On the Home screen of the BlackBerry smartphone, click Options > Advanced Options > Service Book.
    2. Highlight Desktop [SYNC], display the menu and click Delete.
  2. Connect the BlackBerry smartphone to the computer.
  3. Restore the databases using the steps to restore specific databases in the backup file to a BlackBerry smartphone listed above.
  4. When the database or databases are restored, click Options > Advanced Options > Service Book on the BlackBerry smartphone.
  5. Display the menu and click Undelete. The Desktop [SYNC] service book is restored.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:30 AM   #325
withanhdammit
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thanks JSanders! That worked like a champ! What about the service books now? Do I need to create a BIS account or can I just resend them from my BES?

Thanks again, your help and expertise has been most appreciated!
Old 10-30-2009, 12:20 PM   #326
withanhdammit
Thumbs Must Hurt

Well, I still must be missing something. My personal email account is set up but won't send, it just throws a red x when I try. It also won't receive. The app for configuring personal email isn't there any longer.

I also now have an icon for Yahoo mail with someone else's email address. I'm assuming it's from whomever exported out the AT&T service books, but I can't seem to be able to delete it.
Old 10-30-2009, 12:28 PM   #327
withanhdammit
Thumbs Must Hurt

OK, got my email working, I went to http://www.blackberry.com/integrate (found that when trying to get my Gmail to work) and it helped me get my email working.

Still have this other person's Yahoo account that I'd like to delete...
Old 10-30-2009, 01:03 PM   #328
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

H, I don't know how you got the other Yahoo address in there, it's not in the generic service books you downloaded here.

Delete it from you device by going to Options > Advanced > Service Books and scroll to the yahoo email address for the stranger and delete it.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:43 PM   #329
avelasqu
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Does anyone know how I can register my 9530 on T-Mobile's website? Do I use the DEC or HEX version of the MEID? I tried both, it wont take either, can someone help?
Old 11-01-2009, 11:50 PM   #330
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

You don't have an IMEI?
Old 11-01-2009, 11:59 PM   #331
avelasqu
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
Carrier: T-Mobile

I found it. But it still wont let me register. The guy I bought it from said that it was unlocked. How can I verify that it has? Because it wont let me register or my number does not show up.

EDIT: Sorry again guys, rookie move. I just had to wait 5 minutes and it registered.

Last edited by avelasqu; 11-02-2009 at 12:14 AM..
Old 11-02-2009, 12:14 AM   #332
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by avelasqu View Post
I found it. But it still wont let me register. The guy I bought it from said that it was unlocked. How can I verify that it has? Because it wont let me register or my number does not show up.
How do I determine if my BlackBerry is "unlocked"? - BlackBerryFAQ

Give it some time... It can take 3-4 tries to register at times.

I don't know what you mean "number does not show up".
Old 11-03-2009, 02:15 PM   #333
pdone
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530

JSanders, The YouMail app started working for me, not sure why.

I seem to be having an issue with keeping an EDGE signal. It bounces back and forth between EDGE and edge for no apparent reason. I did follow the suggestion in the first post and set my connection to 2G only and cycled my wireless network on and off several times and it still won't stay on EDGE. Any thoughts?
Old 11-04-2009, 10:38 PM   #334
interstudy

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: TMobile

Hey all I know I'm new but thought I'd just jump in!

From my experience all the OS except .148/90 give TMobile users EDGE issues.

I upgraded to .323 (it's great btw) and decided to just adjust my APN if needed to use a 3rd party app. That is the only instance I have found that I would need it, for Pandora for example. Other than that, I leave it blank and unchecked.

I wrote a whole post on the blog in my signature about it.

Hope it helps someone!

Last edited by interstudy; 11-04-2009 at 10:39 PM..
Old 11-04-2009, 11:42 PM   #335
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdone View Post
JSanders, The YouMail app started working for me, not sure why.

I seem to be having an issue with keeping an EDGE signal. It bounces back and forth between EDGE and edge for no apparent reason. I did follow the suggestion in the first post and set my connection to 2G only and cycled my wireless network on and off several times and it still won't stay on EDGE. Any thoughts?
podone, the EDGE to edge signal is bouncing because you have YouMail running, in my opinion.
Old 11-05-2009, 01:32 PM   #336
IchiroIchigo

Model: 9500
Carrier: T-Mobile UK
Default Newbie

Hi,

Can you tell me if this will work on UK carriers?

My Storm 9500 was on Vodafone UK and I wish to use it on T-Mobile UK.

Any advice you can offer will be much appreciated.
Old 11-06-2009, 05:17 PM   #337
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

You may not need to do this moving it from Vodafone to Tmobile, for the 9500.

You'll know if you get the browser or not. If you don't come back and go through this.
Old 11-08-2009, 07:07 PM   #338
IchiroIchigo

Model: 9500
Carrier: T-Mobile UK
Default Newbie

Thanks for that JSanders, your guide brings up the browser etc but the service books are for the US and it won't let me connect, referring me to my service provider. Try as I might, I cannot get UK tmobile service books for the Storm anywhere...

Is there anything else you can suggest? are there any generic service books out there?

Many thanks again.
Old 11-09-2009, 03:39 AM   #339
roygunaw

Model: 9550
Carrier: at&T
Default no browser app at all

hi, i saw your instructions and i don't think i could follow it because:

1. can't register on BIS because there isn't a browser on my storm 9550 (i tried registering on my computer, but it says that i have to do it through my phone)

2. the part where u said that we have to create an ATT folder... i can't find a "share d" folder in the common files/research in motion directiory.

Please advise.. thank you.

I'm using AT&T right now...
Old 11-09-2009, 10:09 AM   #340
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IchiroIchigo View Post
Try as I might, I cannot get UK tmobile service books for the Storm anywhere...

Is there anything else you can suggest? are there any generic service books out there?
There are no "service books for the Storm" from TmobileUK, since they don't carry the device (just like TmobileUS and ATT do not). You just need the generic service books from TmobileUK.

If you have another BlackBerry on TmobileUS, do a backup of the device, via the Backup > Advanced function in Desktop Manager. Backup ONLY the Service Books.

Then save that backup IPD file somewhere in a specific folder on your PC, so you can return to it in the instruction in this thread where it states to use DM to load the ATT service (you will instead use those for your Tmobile provider you have saved).