BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 01:34 AM   #1
OstrichSak
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Who here is using Google Voice w/the Blackberry app??

Please Login to Remove!

I got a Google Voice account a few months ago and haven't really messed with it too much. I had some people from Craig's List that wanted me to call or text which I hate so I installed the app on my BB that allows you to SMS or call from your Google Voice number right from you BB and it worked quite well. The reply SMS came from my Google Voice number so I can see where it might be confusing. Wish there was a way to display the actual number that the call or SMS came from unless I'm doing something wrong. It just looks like I got a bunch of messages from my Google Voice number. Anyway, post what you like or dislike about it and how you're using it. Seems like a pretty cool program I just haven't used it too much yet. Also, can anyone tell me what the 'this phone' option is for? The options are my actual mobile number or none. Not sure what that does or what it means even.
Old 09-15-2009, 01:43 AM   #2
texasPI
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

This phone is where calls and texts are sent to. If you go to google.com/voice and login you can check setting in there or add another number google voice rings etc. It lets it differentiate between cell phone nad something else. Cant remember what else is there but its worth it to go poke around...
Old 09-15-2009, 01:48 AM   #3
OstrichSak
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasPI View Post
This phone is where calls and texts are sent to. If you go to google.com/voice and login you can check setting in there or add another number google voice rings etc. It lets it differentiate between cell phone nad something else. Cant remember what else is there but its worth it to go poke around...
I'm a little confused because when I originally set up the GV to forward voice calls and SMS to my mobile phone. When I installed the app it said something about 'this phone' and that was it so I believe I had it set to 'none' and I was still getting calls and SMS to my mobile phone. I'm confused by what this option is and I did a little searching and can't seem to find a descriptive explanation.
Old 09-15-2009, 01:56 AM   #4
texasPI
Thumbs Must Hurt

Yeah. check your account from a PC. I'm pretty sure there's a way to change all of that...
Old 09-15-2009, 10:13 AM   #5
fsager
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900
PIN: 27FC9D56

You need to check your account settings from a PC. There you can set it to display the caller or your google voice number as the caller id.

I personally use google voice in my line of work. I work for a small charter bus company and I don't have my own bus. So I don't have company supplied business cards, because they have your bus's cell phone number. In comes google voice. I got my google voice account, and used the number on my own personally made business cards to give to my clients. This way I'm not giving scraps of paper with my bus's cell phone number, and I give them a professional looking business card with a "Driver's Cell" number that forwards to my personal cell. So now no matter what bus I use in the fleet, I have one number to give my clients and it's not my personal cell phone number.

A great feature is the call presentation. Google voice has the caller record their name, then calls me, and presents me with who is calling and the options to accept the call, send to voice mail, drop the call and even record the call. I however turned the call presentation off so that my clients can get a hold of me quicker.

Overall I love it, and I don't have to give out my personal cell phone number anymore to anyone.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:59 AM   #6
OstrichSak
Thumbs Must Hurt

I originally set it up on my PC and I have it set to show caller ID on incoming call but it doesn't appear to affect SMS. I also thought I had it set 'This phone' to 'none' but was still getting calls and SMS but I could be mistaken.

I haven't messed with it much yet so I'll check it out some more. Just wanted to make sure I understood the settings before I started giving the number out and was comfortable with how it all worked. The 'this phone' setting was confusing me since I too thought it would indicate which number you wanted calls/forwarded to but when it seemed to not affect it it threw me off. Like I said my testing was limited so I'll take a look again.

Otherwise seems like a very kick ass setup.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:48 PM   #7
nsx1164
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: AT&T

Have been using GV on Blackberry for awhile now. Cool features include call screen (filters out telemarketers - makes them say their name), and voice mail text transcription. Also allows you to call/SMS other folks without showing your "real" #.
Old 10-06-2009, 05:38 PM   #8
03 S Type

Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint

I've been trying to get the Google Voice application for my BB but it says that it's invite only. How did you get google voice for your phones? Can someone pm me and invite me for it?
Old 10-08-2009, 08:16 AM   #9
franzey
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630

Not to hijack the thread, but I have been using GV for a while now and really love it. I just got a new device yesterday and I can't install the app anymore. it simply won't let me install GV for blackberry. Anyone else having this issue?
Old 11-01-2009, 06:04 PM   #10
querjh

Model: 8100
Carrier: cingular

Change browser settings to "Firefox" and then you can download it.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:20 AM   #11
DemonSlayer
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Querjh is right it worked for me. All I am waitign for is a Google Voice Invite. If someone is willing to give me one that woudl be great!!! Thanks.
Old 11-06-2009, 06:11 PM   #12
zeeshan66
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: digicell

i got the stupid invite but can't access it until i'm back in the states! aaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Closed Thread