BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 09:30 AM   #1
Raptor464
Kid Tested. Mom Approved.

Model: 9700
PIN: eapple under the sea
Carrier: T-mobile USA
Default OS: 8530i 4.6.1.459/4.6.1.313 (Multilanguage)

Please Login to Remove!

Software For BlackBerry® 8350i smartphone

BlackBerry Handheld Software v4.6.1.459 (Multilanguage)

Package Version: 4.6.1.459
Consisting of:

* Applications: 4.6.1.313
* Software Platform: 3.1.0.31
* File name: 8350iAMEA_PBr4.6.1_rel459_PL3.1.0.31_A4.6.1.313_Ne xtel_Communications_Inc.exe
* File size: 82.99MB

Note: The Software Platform and Applications version numbers can be found under Options-About screen on the handheld.

* Download Software: https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...B9D5EE16489088

This download is from Nextel but will work on ANY carrier's 8350i model BB. (Not 8300, 8310, 8320, 8330)

1. Download the above OS file to the PC then install it to the PC by running (double clicking) the file you downloaded.
2. Go to c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader and delete the file named "vendor.xml." Vista/Win7 users: In the apploader folder, simply click on "Compatibility files" to see the actual Vendor.xml file. Once you've got that - simply delete the vendor.xml file there (even if you've deleted or think you've deleted it in the folder previously) and voila, it will allow you to update to the newly installed OS!
3. Plug in BB and double click on "Loader.exe." It's located in the same place as the above vendor.xml file.

The process takes about 45 minutes to an hour depending on how much data you have to backup and restore during the process. Once it's done loading the new OS it will reboot (it may do this twice during the entire process.) You will see a white screen with an hourglass for up to 20 minutes at a time while the DM says "waiting for initialization."
If, for some reason, you end up with a white screen with small icons and the number 507, simply connect to the PC again and run Loader.exe again and it should load the OS to the device.

Previous Version: http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ilanguage.html

Last edited by John Clark; 04-05-2010 at 06:42 PM..
Old 11-12-2009, 10:31 AM   #2
Phat03

Model: Curve
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Nextel
Default Lost programs and messaging

Performed this upgrade yesterday and realized I lost BB maps so I just downloaded Google maps instead. But now it seems I can no longer send or recieve mms. It shows the green check icon next to the message but the recipients are not receiving them. Also I am not recieving their mms messages sent to me.

Any ideas why this has happened after the software upgrade.

Thanks,

Joe D
Old 11-12-2009, 10:36 AM   #3
Raptor464
Kid Tested. Mom Approved.

Model: 9700
PIN: eapple under the sea
Carrier: T-mobile USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phat03 View Post
Performed this upgrade yesterday and realized I lost BB maps so I just downloaded Google maps instead. But now it seems I can no longer send or recieve mms. It shows the green check icon next to the message but the recipients are not receiving them. Also I am not recieving their mms messages sent to me.

Any ideas why this has happened after the software upgrade.

Thanks,

Joe D
Did you try deleting your MMS service books from your device and then resending them from the BIS page?
Old 11-12-2009, 10:44 AM   #4
Phat03

thanks for the quick reply, no i did not, but now i realized that all my apps are missing.

Went to BB DM and it shows all my apps, gonna try to reinstall now.

Never had to do this with earlier updates, kinda messed up, it's as if the update actually cleared all apps and data from my BB, you think they would have a message telling you this before performing upgrade.

Joe D
Old 11-12-2009, 11:19 AM   #5
Phat03

Just needed to reinstall all apps, everything seems to be working fine now.

Thanks,

Joe D
Old 11-12-2009, 02:22 PM   #6
rick chi-town
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9650
PIN: pin me to the wall.
Carrier: Sprint

boy, good luck to all that install this one... this was actually already posted here if you look down to 11/6. I installed at that time and had nothing but problems. Perhaps it was my phone (no one was able to help me here from this board), although, oddly enough, when I downgraded back to .294, my phones perfect.

You will not be able to dial from your home screen, the PTT button will not call up your Direct Connect contacts as its supposed to, and any 2 way, Direct Connect calls you DO recieve will just show up as their 2 way number, not a name... not sure what other problems I had off-hand, but they were numerous. i'll stick with this one for now.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:45 PM   #7
rick chi-town

did anybody update to this os with any success? Is your phone operating as its supposed to? I'm back at .294 and still having issues with dialing from the home screen.
Old 11-17-2009, 04:42 PM   #8
johnsdagg

Model: 8350i

i too upgraded to 4.6.1.313 and immediately had problems including browser crashes. downgraded back to 4.6.1.204 and now everything is fine again. wtf?
Old 11-19-2009, 11:45 AM   #9
Chris-KH2PM

Carrier: NEXTEL

I successfully updated my 8350i last night to 4.6.1.313. It wasn't easy..the first load didn't take and my phone whitescreened. I ended up using Desktop Manager and it finally
took after about three tries.

One thing I am stumped about is the icons. Somewhere along the update I recall seeing icons with color in them; now the icons on my phone are all generic and colorless. Has anybody else noticed this? I was thinking the new colors in the icons were pretty slick.
Old 11-19-2009, 02:45 PM   #10
Chris-KH2PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris-KH2PM View Post
One thing I am stumped about is the icons. Somewhere along the update I recall seeing icons with color in them; now the icons on my phone are all generic and colorless.
Regarding the icons, all I had to do was select a different Theme and the icons changed, and now have colors.

So far the latest OS is very stable, and I have no issues to report at this time.
I had to reload a couple of APPS but that was expected.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:38 PM   #11
rick chi-town

Hey Chris, the only issue I have with this update (and a big one for me), is the ability to dial names from the home screen. Does yours work? Mine worked for a while... and then when the phone last re-boots, my phone is jacked again.
Also, when contacts in your phone book 2-way you, it will just show as their direct connect number. Let me know if yours is better...
Old 11-19-2009, 11:17 PM   #12
Chris-KH2PM

Question

Hi Rick. I take it you're referring to the ability to "speed dial" from the keypad? I'm not sure what you mean by 'home screen'. I can hold down an assigned key and it will speed dial fine if that is what you're asking about.

As for the DC question, I don't have anybody to test that right now. For testing purposes if you want to PM me your number we can do some Direct Connect tests.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:04 PM   #13
ffemt000546

Carrier: nextel

I to had nothing but problems with this update.It initially would not load on my phone even with desktop. After a few trys I got it then it crashed my mms, my browser, my contacts are there but it won't let me type a letter to get to a name I have to scroll my list, I called sprint/nextel they said they have had a lot of problems with it. They told me to take it to a repair center and have them download another version. Did that and the tech was not there, they did something so my mms and browser, email all worked, but I had to go through and manually update all my contacts so i could search instead of scroll. Slightly irritated
Old 11-21-2009, 12:14 PM   #14
rob6239

Model: 8530i
Carrier: Telus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick chi-town View Post
Hey Chris, the only issue I have with this update (and a big one for me), is the ability to dial names from the home screen. Does yours work? Mine worked for a while... and then when the phone last re-boots, my phone is jacked again.
Also, when contacts in your phone book 2-way you, it will just show as their direct connect number. Let me know if yours is better...

I have had the same problem with my PTT push-to-talk contacts. They sometimes revert to just a number. Despite also linking contacts to a PIN, sometimes they just show up as a number as well....

I'd love to hear a solution to this... plus when talking in a talkgroup, I can't figure out how to set my bb to tell me who is speaking in the talkgroup besides just flashing their private # on the bottom of the screen - I'd need a contact name or something to flash there..
Old 11-21-2009, 10:35 PM   #15
Chris-KH2PM

Thumbs up

I hate to hear that some of you are having issues with the latest firmware update. My first 3-4 installation attempts were not successful, but I finally got .313 to take.
I started the first update using BB Desktop Manager. It advised me there was
an update available, so I backed up my current info, and did the update.
The first error I encountered a red text popup stating, "a fatal error has occurred while updating your device's software. Please try again". The error
referenced the application data could not be restored to my BB. I tried again, and received the same popup. I then read (studied) the forums here and found that I could download the installation executable from BlackBerry-DOT-COM and run it directly, so I tried that route. I still had issues, which were basically the white 507 screen every time. I reverted back to Desktop Manager and it actually worked. I was starting to get concerned but persisted knowing that I did not want to end up at the SPRINT store for hours waiting for someone to mess it up further..lol.

So far I have NO issues with Package Version 4.6.1.459/4.6.1.313.

I did some Direct Connect testing this evening and all of the other user's data shows up during the call, and after the call in the Call Log. I asked the other party to call me back in 30 seconds. Cleared my home screen and call log, and I again received all of the info (name, number etc) on the screen.
Direct Connect works GREAT on this phone. Very clear audio..I'm impressed.
I have two users that I daily text to using BlackBerry Messenger. No issues.
I receive all of my emails in a timely fashion. No home-screen issues entering text to dial, or in speed dial.

I hope to have more good updates regarding stability after a few more days.
Old 11-23-2009, 11:06 PM   #16
ffemt000546

Carrier: nextel

Well everything was working fine after I re saved ALL of my contacts. Today I shut the phone down, and presto I am back to my DC contacts showing as numbers until I re name and save. I still have to go to a repair center to find out what is going on. Oh well
Old 11-24-2009, 08:09 PM   #17
rick chi-town

Hey chris, keep us posted as to the stability of .313 on your phone... after all of the issues you had loading it, I'm surprised you even stuck around! I too had .313 on my phone for almost a week and it was perfect, then after a battery pull, gone.

My educated guess says you'll be back... lol. I am still running .313, but still do not have the ability to dial from home screen. although, all of my DC contacts are coming thru, so I'm going to stick with it for now...
Old 11-25-2009, 02:30 PM   #18
User Name MN
Knows Where the Search Button Is

PIN: 40258974

I too have tried upgrading to this new software, and have completely lost all MMS functions....Only way I can pheasably text anyone is by sending them an email. Right now I'm trying to downgrade to .204, but right at the end of that process there was some sort of communication error and now I'm getting the 507 white screen, so I'm trying to install the .204 through the loader vs DM.....This happened when I tried updating to the .204 shortly after I got the phone..

Any tips or tricks?
Old 11-25-2009, 11:46 PM   #19
User Name MN

PIN: 40258974

well i can't seem to downgrade back to my previous version....keep going to the 507 white screen so im stuck at 4.6.1.459/4.6.1.313. I still have no texting though......

Is there a simple or easy fix to getting the txting going again?
Old 11-26-2009, 12:01 AM   #20
piloso

Carrier: Boostmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by User Name MN View Post
well i can't seem to downgrade back to my previous version....keep going to the 507 white screen so im stuck at 4.6.1.459/4.6.1.313. I still have no texting though......
Is there a simple or easy fix to getting the txting going again?
Resend your Service Books.

Do a 30 sec. battery pull..then go to Options>Advanced Options>Host Routing Table>Menu>Register Now.
If that doesn't work go here...https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=nextel.

If you don't have an account create one...in there you will see the option to resend service books.

Last edited by piloso; 11-26-2009 at 12:22 AM..
Closed Thread