Old 12-05-2009, 09:47 PM   #1
day
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9550
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Gmail - Blackberry and Apple Mail Conflict

Please Login to Remove!

I just got my first blackberry a week ago - love it! The only thing that I do not like is the email. I have Gmail and lots of labels that all sync via IMAP (except "All Mail" label) using the Advanced IMAP Lab. I do this because without that lab, it downloads all messages from the "All Mail" label, so all my messages are on Apple Mail twice and it doubles the number of uncounted messages.

Now, with the BIS, I have to enable IMAP for "All Mail" label and I like the way it works with the blackberry, for the most part. But now, I'm annoyed because my Apple Mail now doubles my unread mail count. And I switch from my blackberry to my macbook pro all day long. Any suggestions? - Sorry if this is confusing.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:53 PM   #2
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

So if I understand the Gmail Label system, it seems to be a very complex but effective method of finding and sorting emails received and sent. From what I understand, once the BIS receives the email it would have no way of determining or using the Gmail Label system so syncing the BB will understandably cause the issue you see. I think you need to try different methods to limit the doubling but I donxxx8217;t see one either.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:21 PM   #3
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370

Perhaps it would be best to use the stand-alone GMail app and not set up your GMail in BIS. Set up your other email accounts in BIS.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:23 PM   #4
day
Thumbs Must Hurt

I tired the Gmail App but for some reason it keeps freezing my phone. The app is still on my phone and I try it every now and again and my phone keeps freezing
Old 12-07-2009, 02:32 PM   #5
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Why are you forwarding your GMail to Apple Mail? I get both my MobileMe email and a GMail account on my PowerMac and MacBook without issues.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:53 PM   #6
AnthroMatt
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800
PIN: 268B3F92

In my experince Apple Mail only showed the unread count for the mail in the actual Inbox, not in the "All Mail" folder.

You could also switch to an email client that permits you to unsubscribe from specific IMAP folders too.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:27 PM   #7
day
Thumbs Must Hurt

I have IMAP set up on Apple Mail and the unread count is the total of all my folders/labels and since I had to enable IMAP for the "All Mail" label for my blackberry, now my unread count is doubled. Which email client(s) allow you to unsubscribe to specific IMAP folders?
Old 12-07-2009, 03:30 PM   #8
AnthroMatt
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by day View Post
Which email client(s) allow you to unsubscribe to specific IMAP folders?
I know Entourage allows it, but then you have to use Entourage.

Thunderbird might also allow it...I can't remember off the top of my head and I am at work so I don't have access to a Mac to check and confirm.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:54 PM   #9
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

i get my MobileMe mail on my desktop using the Mail.app native client in Mac OSX. I also get that account on my BlackBerry Tour and I've never had a problem with the unread mail count being off by even a single one.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:15 PM   #10
day
Thumbs Must Hurt

It is off because of Gmail's "All Mail" label. Even though there is an inbox, sent, and as many labels as you create, every message is stored in the "All Mail" label. So if someone sends me a message, Apple Mail sees a knew message in the inbox and the "all mail" label, even though it's the same message.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:56 PM   #11
AnthroMatt
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by day View Post
It is off because of Gmail's "All Mail" label. Even though there is an inbox, sent, and as many labels as you create, every message is stored in the "All Mail" label. So if someone sends me a message, Apple Mail sees a knew message in the inbox and the "all mail" label, even though it's the same message.
I am still surprised that your little red mail count indicator over the Mail icon is doubling the new message count, as mine will only add up the total of new messages in each of the 3 inboxes (one for each acct). The "All Mail" folder itself may show 60 new messages when in fact you have none, but the little red indicator never includes this count.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:03 AM   #12
day
Thumbs Must Hurt

I don't know if it shouldn't but it does. If I mark one message in my inbox Or a label it says I have two unread
Closed Thread