Closed Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 03:40 AM   #1
jvasq001

Model: 8110
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Pearl 8110 Freezing ALOT

Please Login to Remove!

Hello, im new to this forum, but i've done some extensive searching and troubleshooting based off of what i've found regarding my issue and unless theres something else out there, idk what the issue is and was wondering if somebody could help. I know this seems like a lot but it seems as if those who are willing to help appreciate the details, so here goes...

I wanted to get BBM5 but could not do so without upgrading the os. Prior to me wanting to get BBM5, i never used BBM, all i used my phone for was calling, texting, pics/video, and mp3 player. So i downloaded the newest version of desktop manager for windows and started going at it.

I have an AT&T BlackBerry Pearl 8110. Last week i upgraded my os to v4.5.0.158. After looking through some postings i have just found out that there is a 4.5.0.308?? version out there? which is weird, and my first question is why didnt it upgrade it to this version instead of the .158?

Prior to my upgrade i installed a 8gb sandisk memory card to use my phone for mp3s & photo/video storage, everything worked JUST FINE (i didnt know about formatting the card, nor did i format it). Well, since i've upgraded my phone will sporadically run slow/sluggish when typing in bbm/text, switching between call log and home screen, going back to home screen to go to a different function (i.e. msgs, bluetooth), freeze for a lil bit when typing anywhere, when im scrolling on ANY screen, but THE ABSOLUTE WORST is that it will freeze when i am making & receiving phone calls, (when it freezes the hour glass displays, it stays on w/e screen its at, sometimes it rings, sometimes it doesnt [when it doesnt it shows the phone# in the call log as unknown number]) sometimes it will allow me to answer while stuck on the screen but people can not hear me or it will answer the phone in speaker phone mode then auto switch to normal ear piece mode. I even got a msg saying the "phone application failed and had an error" not in those exact words but it did give an error code of some sort...which of course i didnt write down...

All in all, this is getting EXTREMELY ANNOYING and i end up having to reboot at least 3x a day to fix the issue, it will be fine for a few hours then mess up again. I removed my memory card and it still does it, im going to try leaving the battery out tonight and see how that works out tomorrow w/out the mem card, im not able to upgrade to the newest OS until i get back to my pc on friday because im using a mac right now and they dont have a desktop mgr for OSX 10.4 (shux). But, has anybody had these symptoms before? is it low on memory? what did you do to fix it? are these bugs in the OS that were fixed in the newest os? where should i go from here?

all of the above.....and ANY help is appreciated...thanks for taking the time to read helping out.
Old 12-15-2009, 03:58 AM   #2
jvasq001

ohhhh!!! and i 4got to add that my bluetooth will not allow me to link with my mac anymore, prior to all of this upgrade that was working just fine too. Any suggestions?
Old 12-15-2009, 05:00 PM   #3
Rolandh
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: T-Mobile UK

Try this thread in the sticky section of the Forum Latest OS: 8110 4.5.0.304/4.5.0.181 (Multilanguage) BBDM does not pick this OS version up as it's not an official 4.5 OS version but a Network/Carrier version of the 4.5 OS. I'm using it on my T-Mobile UK 8110 and i've had some problems with it freezing, nothing that doing a Battery Pull once a day has not been able to cure. The freezing is due to the small memorysize in the Pearl, I've had my current Pear for 3-4 Weeks this Sat, had to take my first 1 back and get an exchange due to a botched OS upgrade due to slow Internet connection at the time of upgrading. But the 4.5.0.304/4.5.0.181 OS seems very stable with regards to the amount of times that I've had to do a battery pull.

Roland
Old 12-18-2009, 12:24 AM   #4
jvasq001

ok, some updates...things i've tried since first post....neither of each have worked.

-removed the battery over night
-formatted the memory card (using the blackberry formatting option)
-removed all data from memory card.

**The error message i am getting when my phone freezes in the middle of outgoing & incoming calls says the following**

"voicemail caught exception application net_rim_bb_phone_app(66) is not processing, application terminated"

anybody know what this means???!?!?

I did put my .mp3s back on the memory card, lol, forgive me but im a student and have gotten so used to using it on my walks. But in addition to my bluetooth not syncing with my computer, when i use the mp3 player it does not allow me to turn the volume down from the level that it is at (which is up all the way, and is way to loud for me).

thanks 'Rolandh' for the reply, i will be trying to dl the new os tomorrow and see how that works out. I am also going to try freeing up some memory by removing the voice activated dialing application, I NEVER USE IT. I'll probably also remove the russian/chinese/other foreign language capabilities.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:20 AM   #5
Rolandh
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: T-Mobile UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvasq001 View Post
ok, some updates...things i've tried since first post....neither of each have worked.

-removed the battery over night
-formatted the memory card (using the blackberry formatting option)
-removed all data from memory card.

**The error message i am getting when my phone freezes in the middle of outgoing & incoming calls says the following**

"voicemail caught exception application net_rim_bb_phone_app(66) is not processing, application terminated"

anybody know what this means???!?!?

I did put my .mp3s back on the memory card, lol, forgive me but im a student and have gotten so used to using it on my walks. But in addition to my bluetooth not syncing with my computer, when i use the mp3 player it does not allow me to turn the volume down from the level that it is at (which is up all the way, and is way to loud for me).

thanks 'Rolandh' for the reply, i will be trying to dl the new os tomorrow and see how that works out. I am also going to try freeing up some memory by removing the voice activated dialing application, I NEVER USE IT. I'll probably also remove the russian/chinese/other foreign language capabilities.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.
I know the language packs that you do not use can safely be removed, Brick Breaker can be safely removed and if you do not need Documents To Go Standard Edition that comes as standard with the BlackBerry OS can safely be removed, I'm not to sure about wether or not the Voice Dialing App can be removed, If there are any experts around might be able to tell you if the Voice Dialer can safely removed or not.

Roland
Old 01-15-2010, 12:53 AM   #6
alhossary

Model: 8100
Carrier: blackberry 8100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolandh View Post
I know the language packs that you do not use can safely be removed, Brick Breaker can be safely removed and if you do not need Documents To Go Standard Edition that comes as standard with the BlackBerry OS can safely be removed, I'm not to sure about wether or not the Voice Dialing App can be removed, If there are any experts around might be able to tell you if the Voice Dialer can safely removed or not.

Roland

Last edited by alhossary; 01-15-2010 at 12:54 AM..
Closed Thread