Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2006, 12:38 PM   #1
captainvfr
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon
Default 7130 Re Booting Resetting on its own -Help

Please Login to Remove!

No one can seem to explain why my Verizon 7130 keeps doing this on its own. It can be idle, during a call, or just when I pull from the Holster. I even had them replace it with another!

No software aside from Pocket Day, however, it did this before Pocket Day was installed.
Old 01-07-2006, 01:32 PM   #2
BuZ

Model: 83/88
Carrier: AT&T, Rogers, T-Mobile, Bell

This is a known issue that afflicts the 7100 series and some 7290s. Not sure if there's a definite fix, but what I can suggest you do is wipe the handheld with javaloader and then use Application Loader to reinstall the latest OS.

I am yet to try the above solution on the 7130, however, it seems to work with handhelds sold by Cingular, Rogers, T-Mobile (The 3 wireless carriers that matter the most)

Last edited by BuZ; 01-07-2006 at 01:35 PM..
Old 01-07-2006, 04:51 PM   #3
acgarcia

Model: 7130e
Default same problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainvfr
No one can seem to explain why my Verizon 7130 keeps doing this on its own. It can be idle, during a call, or just when I pull from the Holster. I even had them replace it with another!

No software aside from Pocket Day, however, it did this before Pocket Day was installed.
I'm having the same problem. My 7130e from Verizon randomly resets itself. It usually happens atleast once a day. The following applications I have are Total Fitness, BBWeather, Ramble, Brick Breaker, and the Calculator. I have no idea what's causing it to reset so much.

Is anybody else having this problem?
Old 01-08-2006, 11:55 AM   #4
kimojoe

Default same same same problem

I get the reboot after bluetooth disconnects. Both Motorola BT devices (810 and 800) that worked perfectly on my old (now flat) 7250, seem to give the 7130e problems when disconnecting. Probably the other way around though. This is my second 7130e. The first one was a joke. After hours on the phone with VZW support, the only option left was return the phone. The second unit did work better, but still, the rebooting thing with BT. The other frustrating thing is associated with tethering. I consider tethering the feature that justifies the cost on this device. When it works, it works great. Unfortunately I am having a problem where my laptop (yes, I know it could be MY LAPTOP) all of a sudden doesn't recognize the USB device (7130). I then need to remove and reload the Desktop Manager and VZW Access stuff. It has only happened a couple of times, but too often for me.

To be fair, I posted in another thread the things I liked about this device and still stand by those comments. I believe that this rebooting thing will get patched and all will be well. Until then...........
Old 01-09-2006, 02:14 AM   #5
Mad Max

Model: 8830

After all the memory wipes and total resets it still crashed on me! On my 15th day I traded it in to Verizon for a 700w. Night and day difference, GREAT reception, I'm in a concrete block building with no windows and never lose EV! On the 7130 hardly had EV. The web is lighting fast and no trouble with any page loading like the 7130, almost everytime I loaded a web site it would come up with the non supported java script unable to load when everything was enabled! This was getting old fast. I realize the main purpose of the BB is NOT the web and I like all the other features of the 7130. Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing the 7130 I'm just passing on what I went through in 15 days with the 7130 hoping that it might help someone. Thanks, PS, It was a totaly stock device, no added software.

Last edited by Mad Max; 01-09-2006 at 02:32 AM..
Old 01-09-2006, 07:48 AM   #6
gadgtman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimojoe
I get the reboot after bluetooth disconnects. Both Motorola BT devices (810 and 800) that worked perfectly on my old (now flat) 7250, seem to give the 7130e problems when disconnecting. Probably the other way around though. This is my second 7130e. The first one was a joke. After hours on the phone with VZW support, the only option left was return the phone. The second unit did work better, but still, the rebooting thing with BT. The other frustrating thing is associated with tethering. I consider tethering the feature that justifies the cost on this device. When it works, it works great. Unfortunately I am having a problem where my laptop (yes, I know it could be MY LAPTOP) all of a sudden doesn't recognize the USB device (7130). I then need to remove and reload the Desktop Manager and VZW Access stuff. It has only happened a couple of times, but too often for me.

To be fair, I posted in another thread the things I liked about this device and still stand by those comments. I believe that this rebooting thing will get patched and all will be well. Until then...........
I'm getting the same re-boot problem on BT disconnects, but it's hit or miss. I was thinking my BB was defective. Has anyone figured out a workaround, or is this something to live with until a fix is out?
Old 01-09-2006, 01:25 PM   #7
kimojoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtman
I'm getting the same re-boot problem on BT disconnects, but it's hit or miss. I was thinking my BB was defective. Has anyone figured out a workaround, or is this something to live with until a fix is out?

I get better results with the bluetooth when I "manually" disconnect the device. As in - go into bluetooth settings and highlight the connected device and choose to disconnect. By the time all that is completed, I could have just let it reboot, but it does seem to get around the problem. I should note that on a couple of occasions it still rebooted after the "manual" disconnect. The quirk I notice is that upon seeing the disconnect warning on the screen (i.e. when I close the boom on the HS810), there is a pause before the bluetooth connected indicator would normally go out, but it stays on. At that point if you touch the scroll wheel.....REBOOT.
Old 01-09-2006, 06:59 PM   #8
gadgtman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimojoe
I get better results with the bluetooth when I "manually" disconnect the device. As in - go into bluetooth settings and highlight the connected device and choose to disconnect. By the time all that is completed, I could have just let it reboot, but it does seem to get around the problem. I should note that on a couple of occasions it still rebooted after the "manual" disconnect. The quirk I notice is that upon seeing the disconnect warning on the screen (i.e. when I close the boom on the HS810), there is a pause before the bluetooth connected indicator would normally go out, but it stays on. At that point if you touch the scroll wheel.....REBOOT.
I can manually connect/disconnect fine with no reboot. My re-booting happens if the phone and headset get too far away from each other (ex, I leave the headset in my car and take my phone into the house). When I bring the two back into proximity with each other, my phone says I'm connected, but clearly I'm not. If I'm successful at manually disconnecting at this point - and it doesn't always let me - that's when the reboot happens.

So as long as my 7130 and headset always stay near each other, everything is fine.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:41 PM   #9
mcspeed

Model: 7130

I'm having similar issues with my 7130. Appears to be related to BT when I manually turn off or exit then re-enter range. I'm trying to isolate a more specific cause. It doesn't seem to happen if I power off the BT though. Will update this subject if I learn anything more.
Old 01-10-2006, 12:29 AM   #10
kimojoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtman
I can manually connect/disconnect fine with no reboot. My re-booting happens if the phone and headset get too far away from each other (ex, I leave the headset in my car and take my phone into the house). When I bring the two back into proximity with each other, my phone says I'm connected, but clearly I'm not. If I'm successful at manually disconnecting at this point - and it doesn't always let me - that's when the reboot happens.

So as long as my 7130 and headset always stay near each other, everything is fine.
Basically the same here. Fine if they stay connected. Walk out of range and reboot. If your phone says connected (by indication of the BT icon) and you know you're not, what happens when you try to use any buttons or wheels? My will reboot every time under those conditions.
Old 01-11-2006, 01:33 PM   #11
swantzilla

Model: 7130

I noticed the BT reboot issue yesterday while bored sitting at an airport bar. Turning my BT headset on and off (or off and on) a few times will cause the handset to reboot.
Old 01-11-2006, 03:52 PM   #12
Jeff d
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Tour

We have a 200+ line account with verizon (about 50-60 BBs) and I talked with our Verizon Rep today. He looked it up in their database and says that RIM has acknowleged that the issue exists and is working on a solution. He's going to try to find out an ETA on the solution and get back to me.
Closed Thread