Closed Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 06:45 AM   #1
Eskimo_Snow

Model: ?
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ?
Arrow Thinking of purchasing a BlackBerry Pearl 8120

Please Login to Remove!

I'm thinking of buying a Pearl 8120 on pay as you go but I'm baffled by all the data plan no data plan stuff. (I don't really want to pay for a data plan)

Basically all I want to use my blackberry for is for web browsing, using twitter and if possible checking my emails. I noticed that you can have your email pushed to your phone which I'm not interested in that I'd sooner just go onto the gmail webpage if that's possible and check there?

I've been searching the web for hours seeing what problems I would run into but it's really confusing.
Can someone tell me if the above is possible without paying extra?

A few more details, I'm thinking of getting the phone on the Orange network.
I'm in the UK.
Thanks and hope you can help!

Also as I'm new to this, it'd be my first blackberry can someone tell me or point me in the direction of stuff most blackberry users would know, stuff to download...I mean it could wait till I get the phone it's just I've been using a normal mobile to text and make calls from so this is a big step up!

Last edited by Eskimo_Snow; 12-14-2009 at 06:48 AM..
Old 12-14-2009, 08:08 AM   #2
dankarlinski
BlackBerry Master

Model: 1
Carrier: 1

Wirelessly posted (White and Nerdy)

You would be able to do all of the above with a regular dataplan.

However, you would need to download a different browser first (opera mini or bolt). You will need to set your tcp settings. After that, they should work fine. As you said, no push email, no app world, etc.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:20 AM   #3
Eskimo_Snow

Regular data plan meaning, if I do somehow use something (I don't know the lingo) like wap or internet through orange uk it'd charge me?
Thanks by the way.

What's app world? :never mind I looked it up :]
Also what's web browsing like on a blackberry? Can I go on stuff like kotaku.com and joystiq? I wouldn't expect flash to work but basic text an image would be fine right? I could download and use opera mini through wifi too?

Just to be sure I could do all that through wifi?

Thanks again!

Last edited by Eskimo_Snow; 12-14-2009 at 08:39 AM..
Old 12-14-2009, 08:41 AM   #4
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted (8820)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo_Snow
Regular data plan meaning, if I do somehow use something (I don't know the lingo) like wap or internet through orange uk it'd charge me?
Thanks by the way.

What's app world? :never mind I looked it up :]
Also what's web browsing like on a blackberry? Can I go on stuff like kotaku.com and joystiq? I wouldn't expect flash to work but basic text an image would be fine right? I could download and use opera mini through wifi too?

Just to be sure I could do all that through wifi?

Thanks again!
http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.p...ta_Plan_for%3F

http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.p...eric_Data_Plan
Old 12-14-2009, 08:49 AM   #5
Eskimo_Snow

So with no data plan I can't even access wifi internet?

Quote:
NOT send or receive any information over the internet, in any way shape or form, despite what you heard about it being possible
Old 12-14-2009, 12:40 PM   #6
Eskimo_Snow

Okay I've looked through pages and pages of posts on here and it seems you can access the internet via wi-fi without a data plan, but I need confirmation before I buy one to find out I was incorrect.

I'm not looking to use msn, facebook or google maps etc.
Just general web browsing and tweeting.

Help?

Last edited by Eskimo_Snow; 12-14-2009 at 12:44 PM..
Old 03-26-2010, 07:35 PM   #7
Andy43

Model: 8120
Carrier: orange
Default try this out...

Hi there. I am basically in the same boat as you. I am new on here too. I just found your thread (as they say) tonight. anyway, i have been spending hours searching the web, JUST LIKE YOU, on just how to get the internet on my pearl 8120. Anyway, you may try this - it works for me.... (FIRSTLY DOWNLOAD OPERAMINI ITS CALLED - GO INTO OPTIONS -ADVANCED OPTIONS - SCROLL DOWN TO TCP & UNDER APN JUST PUT (orangewap & password, but you dont have to have a password tho) I have noticed tho that my credit had gone down a bit, but i think you can get a days internet for a pound, least it used to be on my old phone. Hope this helps you. Cheers & take care yer.

Browsing isnt great on it, but at least your up & running (so to speak) by the way, I am from the Uk on PAYG on Orange - if you havent guessed by now.

BEST WISHES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo_Snow View Post
I'm thinking of buying a Pearl 8120 on pay as you go but I'm baffled by all the data plan no data plan stuff. (I don't really want to pay for a data plan)

Basically all I want to use my blackberry for is for web browsing, using twitter and if possible checking my emails. I noticed that you can have your email pushed to your phone which I'm not interested in that I'd sooner just go onto the gmail webpage if that's possible and check there?

I've been searching the web for hours seeing what problems I would run into but it's really confusing.
Can someone tell me if the above is possible without paying extra?

A few more details, I'm thinking of getting the phone on the Orange network.
I'm in the UK.
Thanks and hope you can help!

Also as I'm new to this, it'd be my first blackberry can someone tell me or point me in the direction of stuff most blackberry users would know, stuff to download...I mean it could wait till I get the phone it's just I've been using a normal mobile to text and make calls from so this is a big step up!
Closed Thread