BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 09:37 AM   #1
expatCanuck
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8520
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default non-Outlook desktop for BBerry? Volume? Magnifier?

Please Login to Remove!

Well, I finally retired my Palm m500, and picked up a Blackberry Curve yesterday.

On the plus side, I can get email, play tunes, and have my contacts and phone from one handy device.

On the down side, the screen is awfully small for my close-to-50-year-old eyes, and (to my chagrin) there's no desktop application. And I find the lowest volume setting to still be a bit louder than I'd like to listen to.

So.

1) I found the Palm desktop to be simple & elegant. And I really dislike Outlook. Can anyone suggest/recommend any other desktops apps that I could use to edit my Blackberry data?

2) Is there a way to make the Blackberry text a bit bigger?
(I realize this will mean more scrolling.)

3) Is there a way through the software/OS to make the media player volume a bit lower than the minimum physical button level?

Any & all advice welcome.
Thanks kindly.

- Richard
oldWithoutMoney DOT com
Old 04-03-2010, 09:55 AM   #2
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

There is no desktop software like you are asking for. Desktop Manager (aka Desktop Sofware, as opposed to the Handheld, or Device Software) will sync the PIM data on the blackberry with several products, including a Yahoo account. If you want to manage the PIM data on a computer and sync with the device, Outlook really is probably the most seamless solution.

Find the options (or settings) icon on the applications screen, open it, look for screen and keyboard, and open that. Play around with the font to find what works best for you.

Also, open browser, open the menu, and select options. Browse around in the various options so that you know what's there. You will find a setting for the minimum font. Experiment with that until you find what works for you.

About volume, I'm not sure. Never dealt with that. I imagine you can lower the audio of the original files with software, then replace those files on the blackberry. But there's got to be an easier solution. Wish I could help.