BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 09:45 PM   #1
johnnybn
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700c
Default I did a 30-day exchange and they charged me double!

Please Login to Remove!

Here's the story:

Got (and paid for by credit card) a blackberry 11/22 from Cingular's business unit. Called in for the 30-day trial period replacement per the dust issue on 12/15. They sent out the unit, and gave me an envelope to return the other one. I returned it. This month, a charge for a new blackberry showed up on my bill. When I called in and spoke with a supervisor, she said that when they do an exchange they bill me for the unit they send and credit it back when they receive the old unit. I don't agree with this policy, but I suppose it makes sense. However, they've had the old unit for about a month now. I called back and another supervisor explained that sometimes it takes 3 MONTHs to credit the account back. Now, that's ridiculous. Anyone have any advice?
Old 01-19-2006, 10:26 PM   #2
dwlace01
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybn
Here's the story:

Got (and paid for by credit card) a blackberry 11/22 from Cingular's business unit. Called in for the 30-day trial period replacement per the dust issue on 12/15. They sent out the unit, and gave me an envelope to return the other one. I returned it. This month, a charge for a new blackberry showed up on my bill. When I called in and spoke with a supervisor, she said that when they do an exchange they bill me for the unit they send and credit it back when they receive the old unit. I don't agree with this policy, but I suppose it makes sense. However, they've had the old unit for about a month now. I called back and another supervisor explained that sometimes it takes 3 MONTHs to credit the account back. Now, that's ridiculous. Anyone have any advice?
well in my experience, the thirty day exchanges always take place at the point of sale. I've never dealt with Cingular sending me a replacement unit its always been either through lockline or at the point of sale. But my exp. with lockline has always been that they receive my unit very fast and i never see a charge on my bill.

I suspect that if you call back and tell them something like, "i dont have the money to just ahve 400 bucks missing for three months, you've received my phone now you can either credit me back now or let me speak with someone that can".

On a side note. I am a huge advocate of not giving up until you get what you want. I've dealt with people at apple, dell, RIM, Cingular and many other places and as long as you have a valid concern and a persistent attitude you will always get somewhere with it. Just keep telling them what youw ant, and if they cant help you ask to be directed to someone who can help you and just absolutely refuse to give up until you get what you want!!!...and a warranty or insurance plan doesn't hurt either ;)
Old 01-20-2006, 09:56 AM   #3
bperkins
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Had the same thing with my return, I returned it on 11/30 and I still have not received a credit yet. Although I called and explained that I would pay the monthly usage charges and not the charge for the replacement phone. I have called numerous times and they say they do not have the phone in their warehouse.
Old 01-20-2006, 11:04 AM   #4
justin.culp
CrackBerry Addict

Model: SOLD
Carrier: at&t

That blows. I'm on my third 8700, the first I returned to the point of sale. No credits, debits or anything like that.

In that past I had done a replacement via mailing Cingular....same thing...Took 3 months to get my 'credit' back on my account and zero out my balance. Rediculous.

I understand why they do it; dishonest people. They must have got burned a few times before they put this policy into place. I can't really think of a better way to do it.

With that said, there SHOULD NOT be a 3 month lag between the charge and the credit back. They should have it set up as a 'charge that doesn't reflect on your monthly bill'.

Just my .02.

Old 01-20-2006, 11:17 AM   #5
nb_mitch
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8310

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin.culp
I understand why they do it; dishonest people. They must have got burned a few times before they put this policy into place. I can't really think of a better way to do it.
I understand that they charge you for the new unit and then credit you for the old unit, but the 3 month lag is complete BS. I actually have 2 units (7290) I returned, so they owe me over $500 in returns, but they got them back in November and they should check them when they are returned and credit your account immediately.

I believe, but I am not sure, that the credit also isn't really returned to you, just a credit on your account. So it will take 6-7 months for to erase the credit.
Old 01-20-2006, 11:51 AM   #6
Baldric
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 5800
Carrier: Turnips

If Cingular keep delaying, try contacting your credit card company, explain the problem and see if they'll recover your money from Cingular
Old 01-20-2006, 04:27 PM   #7
bperkins
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000

They billed my account, and luckily they have placed a temporary "under investigation" for the phone charge so my account will not be turned off due to non payment. I keep paying the monthly charges less the phone charge. I have called everyday this week and made notes of each call. It is a real pain to call then explain the situation over and over to different reps. Just today the rep I spoke to said he would make a few calls to find out what is going on and he would call me back within the hour. That was at 2pm still have not heard back.

The mistake I made was not writing down the tracking number. I did not think twice about having an issue...lesson learned the hard way.

I did have the IMEI and PIN number. I sent a PIN message last night to see if it would go through and it did not show up delivered.
Old 01-20-2006, 07:08 PM   #8
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!

I would make darn sure you have a tracking number and proof of delivery. If they claim they can not find your returned device, you will have little to no proof,
Closed Thread