BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 04:23 PM   #1
discostu97

Model: 7290
Default Big Brother takes over - Losing functionality with Blackberry

Please Login to Remove!

I used to have my blackberry setup where I used BES at work and then had a seperate web-based account. I could send and rec'v for both work and personal emails.

Recently the company I worked for changed the security so I am restricted from many functions:

1. only one message option, my corporate email or "desktop" . no more web client. I can rec'v email, since my personal account is forwarded to my cingular email. When the message arrives, the header says "Using: unkown" - I also can't reply to it.

2. I cant SMS. Even though the phone part is my own and paid by me (vs blackberry email service paid by firm) cingular cant figure out how to enable it. they tried sending service books but it appears the server provisioning blocks it.

3. the www sites I can go to are limited - gives me the same error messages on some pages (like gmail) I get at work.

I know others at work who never synced with the cradle since these changes and they have more functionality.

If anyone knows how to get around this please let me know. you can email me directly if you prefer.
Old 12-18-2005, 04:36 PM   #2
rcbjr
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8700

This is the impact of tying in to your companies network. They are very concerned about misuse of company assets (the network not your BB) and the legal implications thereof. I believe you're out of luck here and will have to live with the restrictions or lose the corporate connectivity. Be very wary of violating corpoirate policy, it can cost you your job.

Hope this helps.
Rcbjr
Old 12-18-2005, 05:37 PM   #3
Soapm

Model: 9900
Carrier: TMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu97
3. the www sites I can go to are limited - gives me the same error messages on some pages (like gmail) I get at work.
I would think they can only limit the sites you surf via MDS so if you have WAP or TCP/IP from your carrier??? Don't you have two browsers? One MDS and the other from your carrier?
Old 12-18-2005, 07:11 PM   #4
southwestcomm

Model: Many
Carrier: Sprint

The BIS browser can be disabled via the BES admin.
Old 12-18-2005, 08:40 PM   #5
discostu97

It used to have two browsers, not sure where the other one went. If I go into OPTIONS and then BROWSER both the default browser config and the default MDS browsern config are set to "BlackBerry Browser" - there is no other option. Used to have an option for wap browser of something else. Any idea how to get this back?
Old 12-18-2005, 10:45 PM   #6
Soapm

Model: 9900
Carrier: TMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwestcomm
The BIS browser can be disabled via the BES admin.
Thats too bad for discostu97. SUCKS!
Old 01-17-2006, 06:10 PM   #7
roncova

Default Can't reply to e-mail

I'm also having a similar problem to the first user. I get my corporate e-mail through the BES, but also had been getting mail directed to my Blackberry account. Around Labor Day of 2005 I suddenly could receive but not reply to e-mail sent to my Blackberry account. The "Reply" option literally disappears fro m the menu. I have talked with a co-worker who has observed the same phenomenon. We have spoken with our IT people who state that it wasn't something they did on purpose, but don't know how to change it. We swear it must be a BES setting somewhere. Anyone know where the IT folks should check?
Old 01-17-2006, 07:23 PM   #8
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

I would bet the IT people know exactly what they changed - any BES admin worth a salt knows the ramifications of the IT policy changes they make. And if they don't, and you figure it out here, welcome to IT!
Old 01-20-2006, 05:33 PM   #9
roncova

Default Yeah, but...

It's that "worth their salt" bit that's the kicker. The BES thing is clearly a bit of a stretch for our guys. Keep in mind, they break other stuff all the time by mucking around: Exchange functionality, routing, etc. They have sworn to a few of us that they don't think they changed anything besides possibly upgrading to BES 4.0, and they are totally willing to change the setting to restore our functionality if we can give them an idea what to look for. I ran a university's Engineering school IT shop for a few years and am no stranger to how this stuff works, but I just have no experience with the workings of the BES. Sadly, there's also no free demo as far as I know.
Old 01-20-2006, 06:44 PM   #10
GonzotheDuck
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Pardon Mr Obvious here, but have they called BES Support to try adn get an answer? There is in fact, a demo option you could put on another server if you have a good relationship with your Account manager from your wireless carrier.

Can you say, "30 day eval license?"
Old 02-08-2006, 10:31 AM   #11
lsbuffs

Model: 7130e

Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu97
I used to have my blackberry setup where I used BES at work and then had a seperate web-based account. I could send and rec'v for both work and personal emails.

Recently the company I worked for changed the security so I am restricted from many functions:

1. only one message option, my corporate email or "desktop" . no more web client. I can rec'v email, since my personal account is forwarded to my cingular email. When the message arrives, the header says "Using: unkown" - I also can't reply to it.

2. I cant SMS. Even though the phone part is my own and paid by me (vs blackberry email service paid by firm) cingular cant figure out how to enable it. they tried sending service books but it appears the server provisioning blocks it.

I know others at work who never synced with the cradle since these changes and they have more functionality.

If anyone knows how to get around this please let me know. you can email me directly if you prefer.

Just had the same thing happen to me. We moved to v 4.0 and got a new IT policy that restricts Bluetooth, enables password after 10mins of inactivity, and takes away the web client entirely. I can hit the intenet, but only through my company's proxy, and certain sites (such as Gmail!) are restricted.

I'm all for the increased security, but I bought the phone (7130e), bought the license, and pay all the cost for phone and BlackBerry service through Verizon. My company doesn't pay a dime but they're taking away the functions on MY phone that allow me to keep in touch with my family via email. I don't see how having a web client available is a security issue. Heck, just about every cell phone these days has this access, including my last company-issued phone.
Closed Thread