Old 07-07-2010, 04:38 PM   #1
XelhaBB
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9530
PIN: Ask
Carrier: Verizon
Default Storm Clear Shields - Advice

Please Login to Remove!

I am currently pocket carrying my Storm completely bare. It has held up very well. The Storm screen is very durable but it does scratch and will require frequent cleaning when it is bare. Additionally, the dust gathering under my Storm screen has gotten a bit annoying on occasion.

For all those installing a clear shield to your phone I offer this reliable procedure. I just used it again to apply a shield to my friends Sprint HTC and it took me about 20 minutes.

First obtain the following and have all spread out on a well lit table:
Hair dryer, small set of sharp scissors, small towel, microwave safe bowl, small bottle of baby shampoo, and your shields.

Power down your Storm and remove the battery. Use your scissors to cut all the sections of your shield away from each other. Lay out each section separately in the order you wish to install each.

Fill up your small microwavable bowl with about 2/3 cups of water. Heat it up in the microwave until its hot. No need to bring it to a boil. Using a travel size bottle of Baby Shampoo, I added a half to 3/4 full cap of baby shampoo. Stir in the shampoo until its diluted well and reheat the water.

Submerge the section you will apply. It will curl slightly but make sure it gets fully soaked. When it comes lose, remove the section from the bowl and allow most of the excess water to drip away. Apply the section to the phone. You should have time to slide the piece around until you have it in the desired position. If the end result is not to your liking, simply peel it away from the phone, dip it back in the water, and try again.

Once the piece is in position, use the towel to massage the excess water and air pockets to the edges of the shield. The shield is pliable so don't be afraid of tearing it. Press hard and get the screen nice and flat against the phone. Once you are finished, use the hair dryer to heat up the shield until its quite hot to the touch. Then use your towel again to massage away any visible imperfections. Repeat this process with all sections you intend to apply to the phone. I reheated the water for each section applied.

Once you are done, give the phone another once over with the hair dryer. Heat the entire phone well. I did this all three times, at night before bed over a couple beers and took my time. It takes anywhere from 20-45 minutes. I let the phone sit overnight without the battery in it. By morning it was dry and ready to be powered up and used.

My next touchscreen device will definitely be protected by a Bodyguardz shield on the screen and a plastic case. However, don't fear the application process. Get a six pack, take your time, and know its a very forgiving process. Don't pay someone to do it unless you just don't have the time.

Verizon 9530

Last edited by XelhaBB; 07-07-2010 at 04:41 PM..
Closed Thread