Old 03-01-2011, 07:14 PM   #1
bLanx

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-mobile
Exclamation Weird characters when receiving text message

Please Login to Remove!

I have blackberry 9700,

My plan include international messaging and I can send message correctly my friends who live in Turkey. But When I receive message from them, it comes with very weird characters so I can not read it.

I am trying to find out solution for it but I could not fix it yet. I installed Turkish language on my phone but I still have same problem. It is only happening for international message.

My phone version is V5.0.0.714 . My roommate has a same phone and same plan but it is only happening to me. I tried to put my sim card onether phone which I bring it with me from turkey, but nothing change. I am using T-mobile. And I called Customer Service and give information about this issue, they said they will open case and investigate that problem, but I did not get any information about it. Does anyone know anything about that issue or how to fix it ?

Please help me.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:49 PM   #2
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA
Default Re: Weird characters when receiving text message

I really don't know, but until someone else comes along who does know, take a look at this and compare your BlackBerry settings to your roomate's:

Open options > SMS Text and look at the setting for Data Coding. There is a choice, either 7 bit or UCS2. If your is different from your room mate's, change it on your BlackBerry and test. (I don't know if that setting just controls your sent data, or your received data as well.)

Last edited by aiharkness; 03-01-2011 at 07:51 PM..
Old 03-01-2011, 07:57 PM   #3
bLanx

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post
I really don't know, but until someone else comes along who does know, take a look at this and compare your BlackBerry settings to your roomate's:

Open options > SMS Text and look at the setting for Data Coding. There is a choice, either 7 bit or UCS2. If your is different from your room mate's, change it on your BlackBerry and test. (I don't know if that setting just controls your sent data, or your received data as well.)
Thank you for your respond. I really did it, I checked all of the settings and there were same. I dont know why it is happening. But I know that it is not happening because of the phone because I tried to use my sim card with onether phone (which I bring it with me from turkey) it was same.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:03 PM   #4
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

I think that was my best guess.

I'm curious if it is just SMS. If you and your room mate exchange emails and PIN messages, do you see the same thing, strange characters on your BlackBerry but not on the other BlackBerry?

Also, with the SMS, is it the case that the strange character is present in place of the correct character, because the correct character was misinterpreted? Or are these strange characters added data not present in the sent message?

Last edited by aiharkness; 03-01-2011 at 08:05 PM..
Closed Thread