Old 03-10-2011, 08:27 PM   #1
robchow
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default One Blackberry ID for Multiple Devices

Please Login to Remove!

Can I / Should I have one Blackberry ID for multiple BB devices (let's say mine and my wife's)? If I have one ID, would it affect how Blackberry Protect works?
Old 03-10-2011, 08:56 PM   #2
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon
Default Re: One Blackberry ID for Multiple Devices

What do you mean "one ID"?

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 03-11-2011, 08:21 AM   #3
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

You need individual BlackBerry data plans for each user.

For an individual user who has multiple BlackBerrys, since you can only use one device at a time, you can have one account and enable it on which ever BlackBerry device you're using.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:23 AM   #4
fadmin
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Z10
Carrier: Fido

Blackberry ID that you use in AppWorld. I don't think you can.
Old 03-11-2011, 12:50 PM   #5
robchow

First, thanks for the responses to my questions. Secondly, I apologies for it be ambiguous. Let me clarify. I was wondering if I can use or should use the same email (Blackberry ID) for App World for multiple BB devices.

On a similar note, how does having a single ID affect the usage of BB Protect? I haven’t seen how Blackberry Protect works so I don’t know if having a single BB ID would cause problems with Protect’s features.

If anyone can shed some light on this, that would be great.

Thanks
Old 03-11-2011, 04:08 PM   #6
Dubdub
Appleinator

I would use different user names and passwords, for security if nothing else.

-->>Twitter

Old 03-11-2011, 04:57 PM   #7
jaszman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9300
Carrier: T-Mobile

Not 100% sure of what your question is, but I'll take a stab at answering it.

Each and every Blackberry has a PIN number assigned to it at the time of manufacturing. Most things that are done with a Blackberry are done through a blackberry server (OTA internet connections, blackberry messenger, push e-mail, etc). When you set up most services to a blackberry they are sent to that individual PIN # and are dedicated to that phone only by the Service Books sent to it by the Blackberry Server it is associated with.

Now that being said, an e-mail message, an SMS/text message, OTA updates, and most anything sent to your phone through the blackberry server can only be associated with that one PIN #/phone, the server will not send any duplicate info/services to two different phones with two different PIN numbers.

Lastly, there are some services (internet connections, phone calls, etc) that can be accessed via a wi-fi connection without a blackberry server, but the few things you can do without a blackberry server are very limited because all blackberry services (basically everything the phone does) are programed to work with a blackberry server, not a regular internet connection server through your cell phone provider.

Alot of people confuse blackberry smartphones with other smartphones. The easiest way to remember how it works is that blackberry phones only work with blackberry servers, and the servers only set up services to one phone/PIN # at a time.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:18 PM   #8
robchow

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaszman View Post
Not 100% sure of what your question is, but I'll take a stab at answering it.

Each and every Blackberry has a PIN number assigned to it at the time of manufacturing. Most things that are done with a Blackberry are done through a blackberry server (OTA internet connections, blackberry messenger, push e-mail, etc). When you set up most services to a blackberry they are sent to that individual PIN # and are dedicated to that phone only by the Service Books sent to it by the Blackberry Server it is associated with.

Now that being said, an e-mail message, an SMS/text message, OTA updates, and most anything sent to your phone through the blackberry server can only be associated with that one PIN #/phone, the server will not send any duplicate info/services to two different phones with two different PIN numbers.

Lastly, there are some services (internet connections, phone calls, etc) that can be accessed via a wi-fi connection without a blackberry server, but the few things you can do without a blackberry server are very limited because all blackberry services (basically everything the phone does) are programed to work with a blackberry server, not a regular internet connection server through your cell phone provider.

Alot of people confuse blackberry smartphones with other smartphones. The easiest way to remember how it works is that blackberry phones only work with blackberry servers, and the servers only set up services to one phone/PIN # at a time.
Thanks for the through explanation even though that doesn't address what I was going for. I was referring to the Blackberry ID (email address) for App World.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:45 PM   #9
Motorcycle Mama
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9930
Carrier: Verizon

You should use different email addresses for each device in BlackBerry App World. The email address is used as the log in in App World. So if you were to use the same email address for different devices, you could run the risk of not having the correct application associated with the correct device.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:00 PM   #10
robchow

Thanks for the replies. I guess to make things easier I will create two IDs (emails) for BB App World.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:05 PM   #11
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

Blackberry email is how you control the access and functions remotly using BB Protect on the individule BB. One email would create issues. PIN for some , email for some.

Last edited by tsac; 03-16-2011 at 07:07 PM..
Old 05-07-2011, 09:50 PM   #12
winger13
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
Carrier: sprint

Let me ask this question - I WANT to see all my kids' BB devices when I log into my BlackBerry Protect account. One way someone (see URL below) has been able to accomplish this is to have multiple devices share the same Blackberry ID (which is NOT the same as the PIN # as clarified above).

So, either:
1) I set my kids' BB devices BlackBerry ID to mine
OR
2) BlackBerry Protect gets updated to handle adding multiple devices (each with different BlackBerry ID's) into one account.

Assuming 2) won't happen anytime soon, anyone know how to accomplish 1) ? Which basically goes back to the original question on this thread.

http://www.allaboutmybb.com/2011/03/...34338066710981

Last edited by winger13; 05-07-2011 at 09:53 PM..
Old 05-08-2011, 08:01 AM   #13
hrbuckley
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: LEZ10
Carrier: Rogers CA

As a developer and BES admin I change the OS on my device quite often. Each OS change forces me to re-activate on a number of services including Protect. Each time I activate it asks me if i want to change or add a device. Protect allows you to change account information in a way apparently independent of AppWorld. I would suggest you take one of you childrens' BlackBerries and add it to your Protect account. Back up both units first.
Old 05-08-2011, 10:16 AM   #14
Dubdub
Appleinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by winger13 View Post
Let me ask this question - I WANT to see all my kids' BB devices when I log into my BlackBerry Protect account. One way someone (see URL below) has been able to accomplish this is to have multiple devices share the same Blackberry ID (which is NOT the same as the PIN # as clarified above).

So, either:
1) I set my kids' BB devices BlackBerry ID to mine
OR
2) BlackBerry Protect gets updated to handle adding multiple devices (each with different BlackBerry ID's) into one account.

Assuming 2) won't happen anytime soon, anyone know how to accomplish 1) ? Which basically goes back to the original question on this thread.

http://www.allaboutmybb.com/2011/03/...34338066710981
Winger, it is considered bad manners to hijack another user's thread - especially when your question doesn't apply to the OP's problem and when the thread you posted to is 2 + months old.

I suggest you delete this post and start a new thread in the proper section.

-->>Twitter

Closed Thread