Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 09:58 AM   #1
tomdlgns
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default tmobile-firmware-BES express

Please Login to Remove!

i have a tmobile phone, BB 9700 bold, and i want to upgrade the firmware on it. i manage/admin the BES express software at my company with 8 devices connected to it via BES.

the tmobile phone is my personal phone and the desktop software doesnt see that there is a new OS/firmware for my phone. however, a friends 9700, not connected to a BES box gets the update w/o any issues. apparently the desktop software knows that my phone is connected to a BES box and doesnt allow it to see the upgrade.

how can i push a firmware upgrade through BES?

since i am currently connected to the BES box that i admin, the only thing i can think of, that i want to avoid, is...

1. security wipe my phone
2. connect it to desktop software and upgrade
3. after the upgrade, login to BES box and re-add my phone and do an enterprise activation

i dont want to do all that, but if that is my only option, i might as well.

i dont have any pictures, music, or videos that i want to save, only email, contacts and calendar, but that will sync with the server if i had to redo my enterprise activation.
Old 07-09-2011, 01:35 PM   #2
tomdlgns
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default Re: tmobile-firmware-BES express

i decided to security wipe the phone thinking it would take my back to factory default, which it does, but apparently still leaves traces of BES.

is the original OS on the CD that came with my phone?

is there any way to clean wipe this phone to really take it to the factory default settings?

thanks.
Old 07-09-2011, 01:57 PM   #3
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Are you sure you're a BES administrator?
The questions you're asking are pretty basic, and the answers are something any BES admin should know already.

Something sounds fishy here.
Old 07-09-2011, 02:05 PM   #4
tomdlgns
Thumbs Must Hurt

i ended up manually downloading the new OK from here

BlackBerry - BlackBerry Desktop and Device Software Download Sites

and the desktop software was able to see a 'Local update' file

just updated to OS6, looks nice.
Old 07-09-2011, 02:07 PM   #5
tomdlgns
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin3107 View Post
Are you sure you're a BES administrator?
The questions you're asking are pretty basic, and the answers are something any BES admin should know already.

Something sounds fishy here.
yes i am sure. i installed BES express on a server running exchange 2003.

we just use it for a handful of users to sync mail, contacts, calendars.

other than that, i dont touch it, i dont have a need to.

in a larger environment with more BB users, someone with some more knowledge would probably be maintaining the server.

i am actually logged into the portal right now, adding myself to the server...

https://nameofserver:3443/webconsole/appMain.html

Last edited by tomdlgns; 07-09-2011 at 02:10 PM..
Old 07-12-2011, 05:33 AM   #6
nobody7290
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Carrier: t-mobile Germany

You could have done the upgrade straight away, without zeroing the phone.

FW-upgrades: it depends on the carrier, which upgrades are availible automatically for your model/phone. If you are on t-mobile, but someone else is on carrier xyz, the upgrades you see might or might not be the same.

However, you can install any version on any phone by doing a manual install.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/blac...-xml-file.html

Also, you do not have to worry about the outlook data stored on your phone. The mobile backup does safe most important things, including passwords, settings favourites etc. etc. unless you dont delete the user on the Server before activating again - 3rd party applications are lost however.
The only difference is, if you wipe a phone, then activate it again with a previously existent user in the servers database, you wont get pushed your old emails.

If you just upgrade the firmware, the desktop software backups all data and applications by default, and, restores this after the FW upgrade.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:17 AM   #7
tomdlgns
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody7290 View Post
You could have done the upgrade straight away, without zeroing the phone.

FW-upgrades: it depends on the carrier, which upgrades are availible automatically for your model/phone. If you are on t-mobile, but someone else is on carrier xyz, the upgrades you see might or might not be the same.

However, you can install any version on any phone by doing a manual install.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/blac...-xml-file.html

Also, you do not have to worry about the outlook data stored on your phone. The mobile backup does safe most important things, including passwords, settings favourites etc. etc. unless you dont delete the user on the Server before activating again - 3rd party applications are lost however.
The only difference is, if you wipe a phone, then activate it again with a previously existent user in the servers database, you wont get pushed your old emails.

If you just upgrade the firmware, the desktop software backups all data and applications by default, and, restores this after the FW upgrade.

i am somewhat confused.

during the upgrade, on a normal phone not connected to BES, the prompt in desktop manager said that everything on the phone would be wiped/deleted.

i want to say that it even warned me about 3rd party apps. once i completed a phone that wasnt on BES, the upgrade worked perfect and i saw that the third party apps were NOT deleted. good news, i guess. actually, nothing was deleted other than the user settings (profile sounds).

it appears that i did a manual upgrade, by getting the os6.msi file, downloading it to my pc, and upgrading it 'locally' as the program stated. it seems that if i did all that w/o wiping my phone, i wouldn't have had to reactivate my work email account with the server. live and learn, i guess.

again, it wasnt a big deal, all the data i needed was basically my contacts and calendar events, which came back w/o issues. it would have been nice to have the old e-mails, but not critical at all.

thanks for the information, i will keep it in mind for any other work phones that are connected to our BES box.

and with that being said, what would the proper roll out be, for BES phones?

do i need to create an IT policy, or modify the current policy, to allow upgrades OTA? i am assuming if it is setup properly, it should be seamless upgrade.

thanks.
Closed Thread