Old 07-06-2012, 02:30 PM   #1
whoelse

Model: 9360
PIN: N/A
Carrier: vodafone
Default Cannot connect new mail

Please Login to Remove!

Hi there,

Here is what happened today, i had to add 2 phones to the BES(before that they were using different carrier and different BES server), one of them worked fine within 5 mins it was on, the other one (my boss's phone) oh well lets say it took me around 3 hours to do it (ITS A LAW, had him nagging all the time). So how it went, I did a backup of my boss's phone(as he wanted to use it instead of brand new one) wiped the data, tried with the enterprise activation, the phone wasn't happy, got it back to the initial configuration, added it to the server, it took good 1 hour to synchronize and it went all good, until 10 minutes before the working day ends... he comes out of his office shouting how he cannot connect to the other mail that he had. Of course first thing that comes to my mind is that he had another configuration through another company and start to think all the possible complicated ways to hook him up to the other company (he runs two companies), anyways it turned out to be that there is just an additional e-mail. Easy job, I go to the settings, and it prompts him for his blackberry ID, and because it is a law... he didn't remember his credentials and at the same time he was nagging that he has maximum 10 minutes more. Anyways sorted that one out, went to "add other e-mail" as it wasn't neither gmail nor yahoo or any other of the options. Asked him politely to add his e-mail and password. When he tries to connect, it says cannot reach the server, or cannot connect to the server, something like that, afterwards when we tried again it was saying wrong acc name/password (of course he was sure he typed them correctly, so i persuaded him to type them again) and then we got the same error that he cannot connect to the server. Anyways the 10 mins passed and he had to go, unhappy. Now , while i was still at the office adding and removing emails on my phone happily without any problems I came up with the solution that his 3G receiver is f*cked up, and when it tries to connect to the server it just loses signal, and that seems the only reason why i wouldnt be able to add his other e-mail, so therefore Monday when he comes I will connect him through the wireless network and then try that again.

Now, my question is, presume it doesn't work, what will happen if I restore his phone from the initial back up(that contains his previous data where that e-mail was already added), will it restore just the data, or the data and settings ? Will it replace the new BES configuration with the old one ? Will it just add the new e-mail and then keep the new BES config ?

I hope it's a bit more clear now.

Last edited by whoelse; 07-06-2012 at 04:02 PM..
Old 07-06-2012, 03:28 PM   #2
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon
Default Re: Cannot connect new mail

WOW> Please do not type in text speak. You need to edit this thread and add some capitalization, punctuation and decent sentence structure if you want help.

It hurts to even try to read and decipher what you wrote.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 07-06-2012, 04:03 PM   #3
whoelse

I reckon it is more understandable now. Sorry but i am a bit tired, as you can see I am still in front of the PC.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:05 PM   #4
Dubdub
Appleinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoelse View Post
I reckon it is more understandable now. Sorry but i am a bit tired, as you can see I am still in front of the PC.
Not really. You need to break up the 1st para so we can read and understand it.

-->>Twitter

Old 07-06-2012, 04:23 PM   #5
whoelse

Okey let's try this...

I have a phone that has been hooked to the system. The company decides to change the mobile operator from A to B. That phone has been used for a while so the user had two e-mails, 1 company one and one personal one. Now in order to add that user/phone to the new BES server with a new mobile operator I had to wipe all the data, and get the phone to its very first settings (like a brand new one). Before I do that I did a back up of the phone through Blackberry Desktop Software. Then I wiped it, then I created that user in the BES server, then added it using Enterprise Activation, then it started synchronizing with the server, and at the end it was done. The user was getting his e-mails, calls etc. everything was working fine. Now, when I tried to add his personal e-mail , it was giving me an error that the device cannot connect to the server.I did explain what the cause might be, but in case I am wrong I will need to restore the phone(i guess that would be the only solution, until i figure out what to do), what will happen if i restore the phone's configuration that i backed up before i completely wiped it? Will it add the e-mail, as it was already existent in the previous settings of the phone ?

THanks

Last edited by whoelse; 07-06-2012 at 04:29 PM..
Old 07-06-2012, 05:27 PM   #6
Dubdub
Appleinator

Moved to the BES Admin section.

-->>Twitter

Old 07-06-2012, 06:55 PM   #7
nobody7290
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
Carrier: t-mobile Germany

you had a phone with a BES and a BIS account, and, you changed the operator.

If you change the SIM on a phone already activated on a BES, it it not neccessary to reactivate the handheld. just change the SIM.

If you have a BIS account on a phone, and change the provider you have to delete the email account the the providers blackberry portal, and, also tell your old operator to remove the handheld from his system. Afterwards you should be able to add a new BIS account at the new operators BIS portal.

Restoring the phone from the backup might restore the contents of the inbox etc., but will not enable the BB to receive mail.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:31 AM   #8
freakinvibe
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Class
Carrier: Swisscom

Quote:
that his 3G receiver is f*cked up,
If the 3G connection wasn't working properly, he would also not be able to receive email from BES.

Quote:
Will it add the e-mail, as it was already existent in the previous settings of the phone ?
No, as the BIS config is stored on the carrier's BIS servers. Restoring a backup won't help you there. You have to login to the BIS server through the web portal or through the email setup wizard and set it up again.

If it says it cannot connect to the server, you first have to check if the server name you entered is correct and if it is answering to IMAP/POP3 requests. To do that you can either use telnet on the appropriate ports or use a IMAP mail client and do a quick setup to see if it works with the credentials given to you by your boss.
Closed Thread