BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 08:41 PM   #1
mezorn26
No longer Registered.

Default Day One with my new 7130E...ARRRRRRRRRRGGHH!

Please Login to Remove!

Well, after having dealt with the constant switching from 1XEV, to 1xev, to 1X to 1x, back and forth for hours like a pinball machine, first hand, I must say, this sucks. I called VZ BB support and they were not very helpful at all. I had to tell them that there is an expected software/firmware release in the coming to address this issue amongst others. He then asked a higher level tech and they said it's expected in the next few weeks (AS I ROLL MY EYES). Also, I asked how the plan to address my billing...He said whether I am getting full Broadband access or national access, I will be billed the same as I am still getting data service. Having graduated 3rd grade with honors, I quickly argued back at him that I paid for a device and a service that was advertised as XYZ and I am not getting XYZ I am getting ABC with a sprinkle of XYZ. He told me to take it up with billing. I plan on doing just that.

I have come to the conclusion that all BB service providers suck, there is always a problem...

Now, what to do with the 1XEV, 1X problem....Any ideas that might patch things up a bit before the update is released (sometime in the spring of 2015)?

Regards, a very unhappy BB user

IN NYC
Old 02-23-2006, 09:12 PM   #2
KonTiki
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9650
PIN: 007
Carrier: Verizon

I am with Verizon as well but I have the 7250. The only time I have seen tht kind of switching is when you are in a fringe area. When I am at homeIn northern NJ I have full 1XEV all the time, never waivering. When I am at work which is in NorthWest NJ close to the Delaware Gap, i waiver between 1XEV ans 1X at times. As I walk around in our building I see places where it holds steady like in my office showing full 1XEV. AS I walk to my bosses office which is maybe about 150 away from mine it will drop to 1X. If this is what you are experiencing I do not think any type of software upgrade is going to address that issue since I believe it is more coverage and tower related.

Running OS 6.0.0.524

Last edited by KonTiki; 02-24-2006 at 02:10 PM..
Old 02-23-2006, 09:15 PM   #3
mezorn26
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonTiki
I am with Verizon as well but I have the 7250. THe only time I have seen tht kind of switching is when you are in a fringe area. When I am at homeIn northern NJ I have full 1XEV all the time, never waivering. When I am at work which is in NorthWest NJ close to the Delaware Gap, i waiver between 1XEV ans 1X at times. As I walk around in our building I see places where it holds steady like in my office showing full 1XEV. AS I walk to my bosses office which is maybe about 150 away from mine it will drop to 1X. If this is what you are experiencing I do not think any type of software upgrade is going to address that issue since I believe it is more coverage and tower related.
It's not a tower issue, it's software/handheld specific. I am in the heart of NYC and I have another EVDO verizon device right next to me that has rock solid EVDO signal A L L D A Y L O N G! It's a widley complained about issue on this site and others, with repsect to the change in service (1X, EV etc...)
Old 02-24-2006, 01:30 PM   #4
enzo86

Model: 7130e
Carrier: Sprint

I feel your pain. I am a 2 day old vzw customer i have spent a total of 8 hrs on the phone with 3rd lvl data support. I have swapped out 3 7130e's with the local store ( because tech support always defaults to this when they get stuck) Oh everthing looks good here must be another bad handset. in between bb swaps they have made issues worse but geting bb pins confused. IE i have bb #3 but they rebuild account with pin for #2. which gives me a solid non resetable DCR. up to this point here are the tricks that 3rd lvl will run you through:

1, wipe the device.
2, ##000000 enter the sip password ( i wont enter here but you can find it with the search )
3, *22899 downloads a new roaming profile.
4, rebuild your account many times, make sure you have broadband access
5, tell you to remove the battery about 100 times. (note the cover is a PITA to remove)
6, the last thing they did on mine which has helped some, was that they reprovisioned a 7130 that they had in their office with my account info. surfed the web with it , then deproed it. this was more of a point to me to try and get me to take the 3rd handset in for replacement. (ie see mine works). After they did that tho mine seems to work a lot better. only got one DCR today.
7, I do still see the 1x to 1xev switching , which is hard on the battery. guess i can hold out for the update.

NOTE:
dont go with suncom they have NO valid APN for a TCP stack. They will give you the standard "internet" one but they will charge you 2c per kb on top of the 40 buck bb package. This was my reason for leaving them. out of the frying pan into the fire.

Jason
Old 02-24-2006, 06:57 PM   #5
nyc2socal
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: ATT

Been reading for a while.. But I don't have any SERIOUS problems with my 7130. In SoCal I have solid EVDO coverage, no switching between evdo and 1x, or at least very minimal (I don't notice it). I have gotten the Data Connection Refused maybe twice in the last 3 weeks, but a quick turn wireless off and then on fixes it in a jiffy (I actually moved the action up in the list) Come to think of it, I think both times, it happened on the same day. I seem to remember reading on HoFo that evdo actually does poorly in places like NYC (something about the wavelength and penetrating so many walls or something).

My only complaint is battery life (but it was expected). Since getting my 7130 I get maybe 1.5 - 2 days battery life. I connect to a BES and receive 50-100 emails, and probably have 10 lengthy IM chats a day. Phone use has been light, maybe 30 minutes each day. Man, I miss my Moto e815, I was getting 6-10 days battery on that phone with lots of talk.
Old 02-24-2006, 09:38 PM   #6
SDCromer
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650

Bell Mobility has released an OS update for the 7130e that addresses the EVDO issue, Bluetooth reboot issue, and a host of others. I upgraded my 7130e with the Bell Mobility OS and it's been rock solid since.
Search this thread: http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=23780

You'll be waiting this time next year for Verizon's updated OS.

Last edited by SDCromer; 02-24-2006 at 09:43 PM..
Old 03-02-2006, 12:57 PM   #7
enzo86

Carrier: Sprint

Just to note after i upgraded to v4.1.0.207 i have not any any problems. Not a single DCR. and i have not seen the device go to 1x. Have 1xev all the time.
Old 03-02-2006, 02:46 PM   #8
dbregman
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9530

I have the 7130e with Verizon and had not had the switching between 1x and exev issue, the network connection refused, or the BT issues SINCE loading the Bell firmware. It has been rock solid.
Old 03-03-2006, 07:33 AM   #9
gadgtman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezorn26
Well, after having dealt with the constant switching from 1XEV, to 1xev, to 1X to 1x, back and forth for hours like a pinball machine, first hand, I must say, this sucks. I called VZ BB support and they were not very helpful at all. I had to tell them that there is an expected software/firmware release in the coming to address this issue amongst others. He then asked a higher level tech and they said it's expected in the next few weeks (AS I ROLL MY EYES). Also, I asked how the plan to address my billing...He said whether I am getting full Broadband access or national access, I will be billed the same as I am still getting data service. Having graduated 3rd grade with honors, I quickly argued back at him that I paid for a device and a service that was advertised as XYZ and I am not getting XYZ I am getting ABC with a sprinkle of XYZ. He told me to take it up with billing. I plan on doing just that.

I have come to the conclusion that all BB service providers suck, there is always a problem...

Now, what to do with the 1XEV, 1X problem....Any ideas that might patch things up a bit before the update is released (sometime in the spring of 2015)?

Regards, a very unhappy BB user

IN NYC
Sigh...you've had this one day and you've come to the scientific conclusion that all BB providers suck? It kills me how some people start the bash-wagon after only a few hours with a new device.

Get back to us AFTER you've had sufficent time to test it out.
Old 03-03-2006, 09:26 AM   #10
mezorn26
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtman
Sigh...you've had this one day and you've come to the scientific conclusion that all BB providers suck? It kills me how some people start the bash-wagon after only a few hours with a new device.

Get back to us AFTER you've had sufficent time to test it out.

WTF are you talking about, I have had a blackberry on every provider....You should not just assume that this is my first time with a blackberry....
Old 03-05-2006, 09:59 AM   #11
scaredpoet

Model: iPhon
Carrier: AT&T

I also upgraded to 4.1.207 here. No problems since.
Old 03-07-2006, 12:38 PM   #12
gadgtman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
WTF are you talking about, I have had a blackberry on every provider....You should not just assume that this is my first time with a blackberry....
Uhmmm...your original post said "day one with my NEW Blackberry 7130e"....I never said this was your fist BB. What I said is that for someone who put so little testing into a new device, you sure were complaining alot.
Old 03-07-2006, 04:17 PM   #13
mezorn26
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtman
Uhmmm...your original post said "day one with my NEW Blackberry 7130e"....I never said this was your fist BB. What I said is that for someone who put so little testing into a new device, you sure were complaining alot.

with the 7130E, yes...DAY ONE...However, I would say that I was rather well versed on the 7130E going into my purchase, so I knew what I was doing before I picked it up for the first time...

My intial repsponse the EVDO issue, stands...It still is spotty...
Old 03-07-2006, 05:47 PM   #14
ten100switch

Quote:
with the 7130E, yes...DAY ONE...However, I would say that I was rather well versed on the 7130E going into my purchase, so I knew what I was doing before I picked it up for the first time...

I have had the 7130e on Verizon for about three weeks now in a mid-sized metro area and have had zero EVDO issues I stay on 1XEV all the time
Old 03-08-2006, 07:04 AM   #15
kirwoodd
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
Carrier: verizon

Fuel, meet fire.

I have been using a 7130e for about 4 months now. 2 months ago I told my girlfriend to upgrade her phone to the 7130e, she is in sales. I dont need to sell YOU guys. So she gets it and HATES it. *****es at me constantaly about the shitty keyboard, dropped calls, bad sound quality, lock ups. She wonders how I can use such a piece of crap. I tell her that first of all, NO technology works, period. Second, my BB doesnt have any of her problems, maybe she has a bad unit and should exchange it.

She goes to the Verizon store and the doofus at the store says "nope, I have heard of NO handset problems, must be you". WHILE in the store, the BB locks up! she can recieve, but not initiate calls. The guy at the store looks at it and says "yup, cant help you, sorry" ! NO lie. SO I see here for dinner three hours later and she is pissed that her phone is quasi locked up. So I push the power button, nothing. So I take the battery out and put it back. It resets it and its fine. Why didnt the store guy figure it out? dunno.

So, heres the punch line...
She returns the phone. goes back to her regular phone. We are out one day and she has a conf. call and her battery is dead, so I let her use my phone. Uh huh. She says "Thats a SUPER nice phone! I want one of those!" I cried.

I know that swapping handsets all the time is pain, but sometimes it really is a bad handset.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:11 AM   #16
gadgtman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:

Well versed...how? By reading about it, or by using somebody else's?

My point still stands...I see so many people get on these threads and ***** after only a couple hours use. Others read it and think the product stinks, when in fact that may not be true. My comment still stands.
Closed Thread