Closed Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 04:35 PM   #1
bpdunsta
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon
Default Wife's company has no BES

Please Login to Remove!

I'm sure this is covered out here, but I have a very unhappy wife.

She just got promoted and feels the need to have around the clock access to email. Her company has no BES. Her "IT guy" has told her that the only way to get her work email is to setup a rule in Outlook to forward all incoming emails to her @mycingular.blackberry.net address. I tried playing around with Redirector, but it only works when she is connected to the network and the Redirector is running.

I got her address book, memo pad, and tasks to sync via USB, but calendar keeps hitting an error on appointment #83 (real informative). Wireless calendar sync is not supported. Her "IT guy" told her that calendar will never work.

Is there a third party solution to this dilemma? More than anything she just needs wireless access to email without having to read/delete emails from both her BB and her Outlook (which is what would happen with the forwarding solution her IT guy offered up). I'm going to keep messing with calendar...syncing via USB is good enough if I can just get past the error.

Any help would be greatly, greatly appreciated.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:06 AM   #2
Kablooey
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
PIN: 25ee2d53
Carrier: AT&T and Verizon 9650

There are a few companies out there that do BES Hosting, I am sure a quick search will result in quite a few hits. There is no easy way to replicate a BES...that is the livelyhood of the company and it provides the greatest functionality and features.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:35 AM   #3
finch
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: N/A
Carrier: N/A

www.mailstreet.com
www.eoutlook.com
www.lanlogic.com
www.intermedia.net
www.mi8.com

To name a few...
Old 03-09-2006, 09:38 AM   #4
lgreenberg
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8310
PIN: 2453F457 OR 242B5C50
Carrier: Cingular

Don't forget....

www.exchangemymail.com
www.link2exchange.com
Old 03-09-2006, 11:15 AM   #5
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

If I were you, I would investigate how good T-Mobile coverage is where you are.

If it is good, use T-Mobile's BIS, which can interact with Oulook Web Access much better than Cingular BWC.
Old 03-09-2006, 11:54 AM   #6
go2duke
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8703

DC brings up a good point. Does she have OL web access? Or is she limited to the client version? If web lient access is there, use BIS via TMO, NXTL, etc (not BWC from Cing) and that will work. I think the BIS polls the web client about every 10 - 15 minutes.

The forwarding solution will never work for calendar and without BES you will never have wireless sync. If you forward emails to any address regardless of type or hosting service, you will not be in sync with the work exchange server and will always have to do something to sync it up (delete from one, sync calendar, etc).

The best option here without BES internally, is to see if "IT GUY" can procure here a 2nd PC (old desktop or something) and install redirector there and sync there. Emails will get to BB about 2 seconds or less from hitting the mailbox and as long as you don't copy email down to local folders, teh calendar will be sync'd up as well but only via USB and not wireless.

Give that a try if possible and good luck.

-G2D
Old 03-09-2006, 12:13 PM   #7
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by go2duke
I think the BIS polls the web client about every 10 - 15 minutes.
Correct.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:02 PM   #8
redtarga
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

A couple of questions:

1) Why is Cingular's BWC inferior to TMobile's BIS?

2) Using a 2nd PC and Redirector will also solve the problem if my company is using Lotus Notes (but no BES).

I can get emails from Cingular's BWC, but they are also garbled. I suspect it maybe a language or format problem (incompatible between Cingular's BWC and my company's Lotus Notes R5- Trad. Chinese version)

I can read the emails ok when it is sent directly to my Blackberry email address, but if PULLed from my company's Notes via Cingular's BWC, then I usually get garbled messages.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Old 03-09-2006, 09:07 PM   #9
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtarga
A couple of questions:

1) Why is Cingular's BWC inferior to TMobile's BIS?

2) Using a 2nd PC and Redirector will also solve the problem if my company is using Lotus Notes (but no BES).

I can get emails from Cingular's BWC, but they are also garbled. I suspect it maybe a language or format problem (incompatible between Cingular's BWC and my company's Lotus Notes R5- Trad. Chinese version)

I can read the emails ok when it is sent directly to my Blackberry email address, but if PULLed from my company's Notes via Cingular's BWC, then I usually get garbled messages.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Cingular BWC is inferior to T-Mobile BIS because it is older, and it does not interact with Outlook Web Access as well.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:05 PM   #10
ZJacoby
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Tour
Carrier: Verzion
Default Question

I have a question. Can you use BB redirector without BES? My next question is: if my computer was turned off, let's say by a friend, would my email stop being sent to my BB? Should I just have my BB pull/push all the emails to my phone even though it takes 10-15 mins? Can I also have redirector except I would get a duplicate copy of the emails, right?

thanks for the help.
-Zak

Quote:
Originally Posted by go2duke
DC brings up a good point. Does she have OL web access? Or is she limited to the client version? If web lient access is there, use BIS via TMO, NXTL, etc (not BWC from Cing) and that will work. I think the BIS polls the web client about every 10 - 15 minutes.

The forwarding solution will never work for calendar and without BES you will never have wireless sync. If you forward emails to any address regardless of type or hosting service, you will not be in sync with the work exchange server and will always have to do something to sync it up (delete from one, sync calendar, etc).

The best option here without BES internally, is to see if "IT GUY" can procure here a 2nd PC (old desktop or something) and install redirector there and sync there. Emails will get to BB about 2 seconds or less from hitting the mailbox and as long as you don't copy email down to local folders, teh calendar will be sync'd up as well but only via USB and not wireless.

Give that a try if possible and good luck.

-G2D
Old 03-28-2006, 11:21 PM   #11
KonTiki
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9650
PIN: 007

Its been covered before over and over, stay away from redirector, just forward your email to the BB.

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Old 03-29-2006, 03:47 AM   #12
ZJacoby
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Tour
Carrier: Verzion

Are you suggesting that I just have my mail fowarded from my email adresses instead of having BIS/BWS go in and getting it? Should I just have one email besides the default BB address on my BB so I can send mail out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonTiki
Its been covered before over and over, stay away from redirector, just forward your email to the BB.
Old 03-30-2006, 03:52 PM   #13
PYT

Model: 950

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJacoby
Are you suggesting that I just have my mail fowarded from my email adresses instead of having BIS/BWS go in and getting it? Should I just have one email besides the default BB address on my BB so I can send mail out?
TMo's BIS Site runs the latest (albeit heavily modified) version of software. From an architecture perspective, it is better than Cingular's.

Cingular's BIS site will upgrade to a similar version later this year.

For you, your best option would be this:

1: Setup a forwarding rule on the mail server to send a *copy* of every message to your wife's BIS account (ie: [email address] gets fowarded to [email address]).
2: In the BIS site, make sure that a copy of all outgoing messages gets sent to the [email address], and setup a rule so that all messages from this account get placed in the "Sent Box".
3: Your default reply-to address on the BIS-Site/BlackBerry should be [email address]. The [email address] should ideally be hidden and only used when absolutely necessary. In most cases and most users, it just adds unrequired complexity.

What this solution does is forwards emails automatically to the handheld, and all responses are kept track of on the home server. It also negates the need to interact with the BIS site. It is the best way to achieve a a level of integration of an email account with a BIS site. There are drawbacks to this of course, and I'll let the others provide them. (FYI: I use this solution with my Gmail account).

If you allow BIS to go in and poll for the mail, you run into issues when the BIS site isn't working 100%.
Closed Thread