Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 09:47 PM   #1
Sk8Surfr
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T
Default Im NEW!! yay!

Please Login to Remove!

New to BB and new to BB forums! (got my 8700 today)

Quick question...

I am going to set up my BB @ work (on the BES) is this easy enough to do alone? Do i NEED an IT to come and do it (they take FOREVER and i'd like to just install and use!!!)

also...

can i set up other email account on the BB? or no? not sure how that works with the BES @ work and all? was thinking of creating my BB email with cingular... can i do that now? and will that affect work at all?
Old 03-16-2006, 10:13 PM   #2
coreyg510
BBF Veteran

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular

Welcome. A great place to start is the links in my signature
Old 03-16-2006, 10:43 PM   #3
jabruno101

Model: 7100I
Carrier: Sprint

I thought to just post here (being my first post and all). I am about to ditch the Pocket pc in favor of Nextel's 7100i. I will begin work for a non profit that does and will not have BES. will I be able to retrieve my work email on the blackberry? I have a few coworkers who are using Verizon Treos and they are able to do it. I just want to be sure before I do it.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:43 PM   #4
dwella
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: ATT

Welcome you will learn a ton here.....

d
Old 03-16-2006, 11:45 PM   #5
Sk8Surfr
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800

MORE Q'S

The company IS on BES

I was just informed that if i go on their BES i might have restrictions placed on my personal cell phone!?!?

If i am on BES restictions what happens? i can only have work email on my phone?

Should i not set this up?

well here is background... i had a WM phone (IPAQ 6515)... using 4 smartphone service... but that didnt work like i wanted. i wanted my email PUSHED (not 5-20 min delay)

and the only way i could have that set up was to forward work email to their system (so i couldnt see all the other people the original email was sent to and could not reply to all)

so i wanted to
A. get mail instant
B. see everyone who it was sent to
C. want replys to come from work email address

is the only way to do this is set up phone on the company BES service? And if i DO decide to take that plunge can i do that myself? (by installing the software on the computer and all) or do i need the IT department to assist me with this?

edit:
can i set up an individual email now? (the cingular.blackberry one) or will that mess up when i set up work BES service next week?
Old 03-17-2006, 02:41 AM   #6
hbomb341
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700C

In short the Answer is YES, if you want your mail instant you would want the BES to handle your mail. You have other option to get xxx8220;pushxxx8221; by forwarding all of your mail to your handheld but that just adds a level on complexity when you have an issue and compromises the message. MOST compnays on their BES users have a xxx8220;IT Policyxxx8221; which restricts the handheld, forces like password use, time out times, and other options. If you read the BES manual and policy guides they can control everything. Most policy I have see still allow for a xxx8220;Webxxx8221; / personal account you, which is setup on a BIS (cingular.blackberry.net) and YES you can go a head and set that up. They are two different systems and are independent, MOSTLY. You could have the BIS also pull your work email if you have access to OWA or iNotes or POP, but again the lag time of 15 to 20 min.

Doing it yourself, most likely not, you can install the software and configure it but you still need IT / an Admin to setup your BES account on the server. Granted it take less then 30 minutes but took my IT guys a good 2 hours to get that part done and I had the rest done for them and still took another hours for them to set that up.

In Short I would say go with the BES there are good and bad to each, and also have the BIS for your personal email. If you need help configuring it do searches and also read MANY of the guides on here that will walk you step by step through your options.
Old 03-17-2006, 02:53 AM   #7
hbomb341
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700C

jabruno101 - It depends find out if they have POP access to email, iNotes, OWA or if you can forward your email. This will all be setup on the BIS, with more info I cna help you out. In short the is a way to do it just need to see all of your options.
Closed Thread