Old 03-21-2006, 08:11 PM   #141
SleeperFBody
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetjunkies
I think everything you said is correct except the last line. I am looking at exchangemymail as well and I only have BIS. From what I see on their site you can sync your BB and PC OTA immediately.
Ok

So the exchangemymail is the only way that you can sync outlook data. The desktop redirect software won't forward any changes of that sort?

Sucks that you can't run any 3rd part software on cingular with the BB unlimited plan. I also don't like the fact they they limit you on something that is supposed to be unlimited. If i didn't have such a good deal on the phone i would go to t-mobile but you really can't beat 10 bucks for basicly unlimited calls per month.

Last edited by SleeperFBody; 03-21-2006 at 08:14 PM..
Old 03-21-2006, 08:33 PM   #142
gadgetjunkies
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8820
PIN: Depends which BB I am using
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleeperFBody
Ok

So the exchangemymail is the only way that you can sync outlook data. The desktop redirect software won't forward any changes of that sort?

Sucks that you can't run any 3rd part software on cingular with the BB unlimited plan. I also don't like the fact they they limit you on something that is supposed to be unlimited. If i didn't have such a good deal on the phone i would go to t-mobile but you really can't beat 10 bucks for basicly unlimited calls per month.
Well it's the only way to do it wirelessly unless you have BES. You can sync via the cable that came with your BB. I'm in the same boat. For $20/mth I think it's worth not worrying whether you're gonna get overage charges, plus being able to sync wirelessly.
Old 03-21-2006, 08:53 PM   #143
SleeperFBody

Model: 8700
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetjunkies
Well it's the only way to do it wirelessly unless you have BES. You can sync via the cable that came with your BB. I'm in the same boat. For $20/mth I think it's worth not worrying whether you're gonna get overage charges, plus being able to sync wirelessly.
Gotcha, one more newb question though. How does having the exhange service stop cingular from charging you extra for other possible 3rd party software such as an IM programs thats always on. And does getting the plan thats on $10 a month also keep you from being charged extra?
Old 03-21-2006, 09:27 PM   #144
gadgetjunkies

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleeperFBody
Gotcha, one more newb question though. How does having the exhange service stop cingular from charging you extra for other possible 3rd party software such as an IM programs thats always on. And does getting the plan thats on $10 a month also keep you from being charged extra?
Well this is like the blind leading the blind. I've only had my 8700c for a couple weeks. That same question was asked before and the answer was something to the effect of it by-passing Cingular. You are working off of exchangemymail's server. Not sure about your second question. Hopefully someone will chime in on that one. Cool F-body btw. I had a 96 Impalla SS but sold it last summer due to our daughter getting her license soon.
Old 03-21-2006, 09:29 PM   #145
lgreenberg
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8310
PIN: 2453F457 OR 242B5C50
Carrier: Cingular

Because you are using Exchange My Mail's MDS proxy to access the internet not Cingular's wap APN.

You need the $9.99 Exchange My Mail Exchange Hosting Service as well as the $9.99 Blackberry Service.
Old 03-21-2006, 09:37 PM   #146
gadgetjunkies

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgreenberg
Because you are using Exchange My Mail's MDS proxy to access the internet not Cingular's wap APN.

You need the $9.99 Exchange My Mail Exchange Hosting Service as well as the $9.99 Blackberry Service.
I'm on Cing's unlimited plan but have seen all the threads about extra charges. Some get them some don't. Are there different charges if you use the "Internet Browser" as opposed to the "Cingular Browser"?
Old 03-21-2006, 09:42 PM   #147
lgreenberg

No.

The charges show up stricly when you use the WAP APN with third party applications.
Old 03-21-2006, 09:43 PM   #148
coreyg510
BBF Veteran

Model: 8700c

No, generally you only get charges for internet usage when using 3rd party apps. However, I have never personally gotten charged and not been able to have the charges removed ( I believe I have only had to do that once)
Old 03-21-2006, 09:57 PM   #149
gadgetjunkies

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyg510
No, generally you only get charges for internet usage when using 3rd party apps. However, I have never personally gotten charged and not been able to have the charges removed ( I believe I have only had to do that once)
Third party apps like GoogleTalk or something deifferent?
Old 03-21-2006, 10:07 PM   #150
coreyg510
BBF Veteran

Model: 8700c

Yes, Something like that
Old 03-23-2006, 04:47 PM   #151
TRIdad
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: ATT
Default helpful Cingular rep

I called Cingular after receiving my 2nd invoice with the unlimited BB data plan. There were USAGE CHARGES of $40. Spoke with a friendly rep who removed the charges, apologized, and promised to personally follow up with me next month to ensure that the excess charges don't show up again. I got brave and asked her about unlocking my phone (bought through Amazon for $150 w/$150 rebate--still waiting for it though) for use overseas. She said it can be unlocked after 90 days, and would send the request when she calls next month.

Great service!
Old 03-23-2006, 06:39 PM   #152
Aldazar
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: 1010

I'm going to have to agree with the T-mobile supporters here. Not only did Consumer Reports give Cingular the worst rating for customer service of all the mobile providers, it also gave T-mobile one of the top ratings.

From experience, I can say that T-mobile does have excellent customer service. As has already been mentioned, T-mobile charges substantially less than Cingular for BB service and has a newer version of the BB server as well.

I live in Southern California and have never had any problems with getting a wireless signal.

Go T-Mo! =P
Old 03-23-2006, 06:53 PM   #153
lgreenberg

That's great about T-Mobile's customer service and lower prices.

But as I've mentioned before, what good is quality customer service and low rates if my phone doesn't work?
Old 03-23-2006, 08:42 PM   #154
gadgetjunkies

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgreenberg
That's great about T-Mobile's customer service and lower prices.

But as I've mentioned before, what good is quality customer service and low rates if my phone doesn't work?
I'll second that. Cingular has the best coverage here in the Cincinnati area. I travel alot in the midwest area and do not have any problems.
Old 03-23-2006, 09:13 PM   #155
trustworthy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulcamara
After spending over 24 hours with Cingular phone "support", that's exactly what I did. My time is worth more than the $20/month Link2Exchance is costing me. It also solved my
sync problems with my MAC.

The other nice thing is that I can us all the toys (weather, sports, PocketDay, stocks, ...)
internationally at no incremental cost over the unlimited international BB plan, and do not
have to think about getting a huge bill from Cingular international data.
How do you set BES up with a Mac?
Old 03-23-2006, 09:18 PM   #156
dulcamara

Model: 9810

Quote:
Originally Posted by trustworthy
How do you set BES up with a Mac?
Link2Exchange has informal support for Entourage on Macs. It works very well for me.

I pay these guys $20/month. It's more than worth it to avoid having to call the Cingular
idiots twice a month to fix their errors/misinformation/confusion about apm.
Old 03-23-2006, 10:56 PM   #157
Seattle18

Model: Curve
Carrier: Sprint

They also have informal support for Apple Mail. They worked with me to get Mail working with the Exchange server. It only syncs email, obviously, but there are two programs I am testing to sync the other stuff. So far, GroupCal is working very well doing an Exchange sync with iCal and Tasks, and I am still testing out AddressX to Exchange sync with Address Book. Once I get that one tested out I will have full Exchange sync ability between my BB, Outlook, Exchange Server OWA, Apple Mail, Address Book, iCal and Tasks! Utopia...
Old 03-23-2006, 11:32 PM   #158
Soapm

Model: 9900
Carrier: TMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRIdad
I called Cingular after receiving my 2nd invoice with the unlimited BB data plan. There were USAGE CHARGES of $40. Spoke with a friendly rep who removed the charges, apologized, and promised to personally follow up with me next month to ensure that the excess charges don't show up again. I got brave and asked her about unlocking my phone (bought through Amazon for $150 w/$150 rebate--still waiting for it though) for use overseas. She said it can be unlocked after 90 days, and would send the request when she calls next month.

Great service!
She must either be new or trying to get fired. Someone will catch her in the breakroom and teach her a lesson before next month. I wouldn't count on that call, good service seems to be against policy.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:05 AM   #159
dulcamara

Model: 9810

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapm
She must either be new or trying to get fired. Someone will catch her in the breakroom and teach her a lesson before next month. I wouldn't count on that call, good service seems to be against policy.
That's not completely fair. If good service were against policy, the cingular reps would have to know what it is.

They don't.
Old 03-28-2006, 05:35 PM   #160
freakinshoe

Model: 7100g

i just ordered a bb 7100g with unlimited data. i am complete newb to bb, never even held one or seen one in person. can someone pls tell me what the bb unl data includes in newb terms? will i b able to instant msg like yahoo and msn with out any other charges incuring? i am real psyched about this phone, it will b here tomorrow. and if i incur more charges due to ignorance then it will b a real buzz kill for the phone. so i need to know now upfront everything. thanx for any and all input.
Closed Thread