BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 02:54 PM   #1
bhatchfi

Model: 7100i
Carrier: nextel
Default 7520 Charging+USB Problem

Please Login to Remove!

It started as just a charging problem with my extended battery+now my regular battery not taking a charge. Now I see that my computer won't recognize my handheld to allow me to back it up before I wipe it to reset it to try to cure they problem as someone suggested. I tried to wipe it anyway. Now It won't charge either battery, both less than 6 mos old, my contacts are all gone, and Windows XP will not "See" the USB device when I plug it in. It just keeps making this dinking sound. I've even tried switching back to windows 98 to no avail. What the heck else can I do with it> It works. but Since it won't run on aaa batteries, I'm screwed. Any suggestions besides using it for a 200.00 door wedge?
Old 03-27-2006, 03:06 PM   #2
KonTiki
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9650
PIN: 007
Carrier: Verizon

Is your BB connected via USB directly to the computer or to a HUB? Sometimes it does not like HUBS. Also I would download the newest desktop manager software for your pc from your provider. Unistall the old one and then install the new one and try again.

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Old 03-28-2006, 01:59 AM   #3
Brenteus Maximus
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7250
Carrier: Bell Mobility

If you've been having trouble charging the device and now it can't be detected through usb, i hate to say it but it sounds like your Berry's data/charging port is fudged. I highly doubt wiping the handheld will do the job as it seems to be a hardware problem. If you're within your warranty period, and it isn't physically or water damaged i'd say get it replaced under warranty. Unfortunately you more than likely won't be able to back up the info currently in the device unless anyone here has any ideas on that. But if you can get a warranty replacement, go for it. I know the bell berries are just replaced outright when one is defective and i hope the same would be true for your carrier. Double check with the store you bought it from and bring it to them to make arrangements for a replacement if that is their procedure. But i wouldn't bother with trying to wipe the handheld as i highly doubt that is the issue.

PIN: 30076BB7
Old 03-28-2006, 04:22 PM   #4
bhatchfi

Default 7520 Repair

Brent was kind enough to identify a data/USB port hardware problem on my 7520 BB. It's only 6 mos. Old with no physical damage, but I bought it from a person that had just traded up to another device and i bought the unit from him, hence, no warrantee. (My bad). I've seen several of our posters who repair bb's. Can anyone give me a ballpark figure of what it will cost to repair this? I know the phone+radio works, it's just the data/charging port that doesn't. Wish I could figure how to run it on aaa batteries.
Old 03-28-2006, 04:37 PM   #5
sirchip
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: T Mobile

ive been having issues lately myself...and the latest is that its not holding a charge as much as its used to and ive been having issues for a bit now since ive uploaded the 4.1 software...

anyone else having problems??
Old 03-28-2006, 06:38 PM   #6
Brenteus Maximus
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7250
Carrier: Bell Mobility

I found with 4.1 (though i ran sprint`s on my bell berry) that my battery was losing charge faster. Though there seemed to be a discrepancy between the battery meter and the options/status numerical battery value so i kind of chalked it up to an imcompatibility between Sprint OS 4.1 and my battery meter. But it wasnt an real significant loss in capacity just enough to notice.

PIN: 30076BB7
Old 03-28-2006, 08:03 PM   #7
bhatchfi

Thumbs down data port/usb+charging problem

I do get the little lightning bolt when i first plug it in + it lights up, but then nothing. the mobile charger used to have a green and red light. the green light lights up bright so i know it's getting power, the red light is glowing dimly. One of my batteries is at 15% the other is at 10% so I don't have much time before they both go bye bye. I guess I'll go to the nextel store and ask how much they'll charge to look at it. I just hate to give them any more money than I'm already giving them. Yuck. I've never even dropped the thing. It's like somebody said "okay, let's turn off his data/charging port so we can make him come in for a repair".
Old 03-28-2006, 09:14 PM   #8
r0guenj
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9530
PIN: 305505FA
Carrier: Verizon

Wirelessly posted (8700c: BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Do you get the same thing when trying to use the wall charger? I have had the experience that some phones that use usb to charge will not work properly on a low charge. Do you have the orignal charger? You said that the charge indicator does light up but doesn't stay?

See if that helps by using a dedicated power charger as the usb port will only give you a max of 500ma of power.