BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2005, 08:30 PM   #41
DrBB
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Please Login to Remove!

By the way - what the heck would be the point of running Exchange for just SMTP and POP3? You can get those from a 25$ piece of software from download.com...why pay thousands for exchange?

Lets keep vulagarities in YOUR little vocab, please. Where is the moderation here? Are profanities allowed on BBF?
Old 01-09-2005, 08:36 PM   #42
WorldIRC
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

Umm.. They use Outlook Web access. From what I can recall, this requires the exchange CAL licenses. webclient.myblueberry.us. "click here to logon"
Old 01-10-2005, 01:37 AM   #43
corey@12mile
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: lots
Carrier: Rogers

hehe... I was banned for my opinion that the post where the admins of BB101 were flaming BBF.com for the problems during the server upgrade should be removed.

So for ssaying the word shit, you think I should be banned here as well right? Blow me.

I have 3 legit exchange servers running, I can load up as many mailbox's as I want, up to 16 gigs of mail that is, and use the mailbox's for whatever I want, who says these guys aren't doing that?

How's that for 'knowing shit'? Using your already paid for software to make more money?

Go back to BB101... you really do belong there.
Old 01-10-2005, 01:40 AM   #44
corey@12mile

If they use OWA, they need a CAL for the windows server, and enough cals at that for the number of concurrent connections... that's it.
Old 01-10-2005, 01:41 AM   #45
DrBB

That is incorrect, corey. If they use OWA, they are using exchange, they require an exchange cal.
Old 01-10-2005, 01:47 AM   #46
corey@12mile

Go look at the SPUR documentation from Microsoft. I an not incorrect.
Old 01-10-2005, 01:47 AM   #47
DrBB

Corey - let me help you with your knowledge of Microsoft licensing. I found a snippet from an online site which tells exactly what I was saying:

"Microsoft requires any user who’s accessing any information from an Exchange database to have an Exchange CAL. Therefore, if a user were accessing an Exchange server by using Outlook 2000, the user would need an Exchange CAL and a Windows 2000 CAL. However, if the same user were accessing the same Exchange Server using Outlook Web Access (OWA), the user would only require an Exchange CAL because they would be accessing the Windows 2000 Server that Exchange is running on via HTTP."

It's based on Exchange 2000, but the licensing models are the same with 2003. OWA uses the exchange store, which uses an exchang CAL.

Read the full article at: http://www.brienposey.com/kb/exchange_licensing.asp
Old 01-10-2005, 01:58 AM   #48
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Wow - a new forum banning people already. Corey - you must be an awful fellow ;)
Old 01-10-2005, 02:00 AM   #49
DrBB

And, per your suggestion, I did read the SPUR documentation. Here's what I found:

"SAL Requirements. The Exchange Web Mail, Exchange Web Mail Plus, and Exchange Corporate Web Access SALs include the use of Outlook Web Access. Outlook Web Access consists of features and functionality included in Exchange Server 2003 - Enterprise Edition (“Server Software”) that provides Users with Internet-based access to the Server Software’s features and functionality. Exchange Web Mail, Exchange Web Mail Plus, and Exchange Corporate Web Access SAL Users may only use Outlook Web Access to access and use the features and functionality of the Server Software described in the Usage Limitations for each SAL stated below. You must obtain a SAL for each User under the terms and conditions of your Web Access Addendum."

So, therefore....some type of CAL is required....even with SPLA....
Old 01-10-2005, 02:09 AM   #50
corey@12mile

Good for you DrBB... I honestly didn't think you would go look... you should get out more often... Aren't you going to argue about all the other places you have mentioned CALs are needed that I called your bullshit on too? Or wait... could I possibly be right for everything alse?

And yes Treo... I read about how much better a 2 day old forum is than BBF.com because they didn't have problems with a server upgrade, and I ask... maybe the post should be removed cause it's just a flame of BBF.com and what happens? I get banned. I didn't do anything other than mention that yes, BBF did have a problem, but doing a seamless server rollover is no big deal. And MrBB here gets all gung ho and bans me for it.

What I find that much more interesting is that most of the admins over there are long time users here... Nice to see they appreciate the fact that they, for the most part, met eachother here, and I would imagine if it weren't for BBF.com they wouldn't be with bes4u or whoever you guys are.
Old 01-10-2005, 02:11 AM   #51
DrBB

No, corey I'm not. I don't have time to waste on you quoting 50 diferent sections of the SPUR documentation to get you to be quiet. You're not worth my time! We both know that you're wrong...and all I see from you is your own text...nothing to back it up. Atleast I got some quotes. Oh well, again, all talk and no facts.

Glad to see you changed the subject and went to flaming the site again, as you've done with others in the past. Its very informative and definately on topic! (Yea, right)
Old 01-10-2005, 02:12 AM   #52
DrBB

Now that I've made my point re: SPLA & OWA licensing, I'm gonna end my participation here....this place has gotten so negative. I can't stand the personal attacks...and where is the moderation of the forums, esp re: language?

Anyway, I have my own opinion - as we all are entitled to - and I feel that, accoridng to what I know, that I'm right. It really doesnt matter much to me....I dont use them...and wont. I think the only way you guys will ever find out is by someone from their company posting here.....

Done.
Old 01-10-2005, 02:26 AM   #53
corey@12mile

Hey DrBB... Now that you are here, and can't delete my posts or user accounts... have another read through the whole thread. I started out with some correct information, that you tried to contradict, and didn't do very well... I was right on everything except for 1, which I knew was wrong when I posted it, hence the second post after my main post to see if you would take it... You didn't, good for you, my negativity coming through again.

How's this for you... find a single thread on here where an admin or moderator flames another website/forum... show me a single thread where there is unjust negative attitude towards another site.

We all know that such threads exist on BB101... that's why I was banned.

My initial post in this thread was right on topic, and yours was obviously an attack on me...

But yes... you should go back to your little hole in the ground and keep trying to be what BBF is, and as far as moderation here... they know the whole deal between you and me. They also know that I contribute to what BBF is and what BB101 will never be... an informative forum, rather than a bunch of egotistical losers with nothing better to do than flame the competition.

Go back to your hole. I hope you don't come back here.
Old 01-10-2005, 02:29 AM   #54
ScOObydoo
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Curve
Carrier: tmo

This all makes me very sad :(
Old 01-10-2005, 02:35 AM   #55
WorldIRC
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

I thought apologies were made or something
Old 01-10-2005, 02:54 AM   #56
peterjun

Wow... all this heated debate from a single post saying how great myblueberry.com is...

who cares how myblueberry does it. they do it. maybe they're selling at a loss to undercut the market? who knows. i don't. as an end-user, i enjoy the service and the price they offer it at.
Old 01-10-2005, 06:34 AM   #57
Tom
Admin & Founder

Model: 9800
PIN: UnDisclosed

This thread is locked. Please use the this one for further ON TOPIC discussion.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=2302
Closed Thread