BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 01:28 PM   #61
anthonymoody
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8700
Carrier: T-Mobile

Please Login to Remove!

There's an 'official' handset upgrade program offered to existing customers. Basically, if you are already a TMo customer they will sell you the phone at below full MSRP, but not as cheap as if you are a new customer signing a contract. Based on demand though, they sometimes won't offer this immediately when the phone is released.

HOWEVER, and this is what I've done in the past (several times) - you can pay full MSRP for the phone as an existing customer on day 1. In fact, you can even get it discounted somewhat (though usually not all the way to new-customer pricing) just by reminding them what a good customer you are ;)

In the other thread it's come to light that the MSRP is/will be $399 in the US and the new TMo release date is April 10. I appreciate the unbranded/unlocked phone our friend from down under is supplying, but at the end of the day April 10 is right around the corner, I can get it unlocked by TMo for free, and I don't mind the branding. Not for a $260 premium...

TM
Old 03-31-2006, 10:10 AM   #62
bigdongers
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100g
Carrier: Telstra

Thanks to those who have purchased from me. I have notified those where I have sent the blackberry. You should have your tracking number. For others, I am waiting on your payment to clear before sending. I will let you know as soon as I have sent it and you will get a tracking number.

Thanks again.
Old 03-31-2006, 10:45 AM   #63
Parvenu

Model: 7130e

Will i be able to use the unlocked 8700g with Cingular. Im with verizon now, using a 7130e. I dont like the layout and I just want a BB with a qwerty keyboard. I could always get the 8700c, but to have a black unbranded 8700g would set me apart(too many ppl in NY). I'm a newbie, I need help!
Old 03-31-2006, 01:37 PM   #64
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco
When the 8700g hits the US T-mobile shelves it will be both locked and marked for T-Mobile. And going from T-mobile's history with RIM phones, you can guarantee that the 8700g will be either unlockable or very expensive to unlock.
Where are you getting this from? I've unlocked multiple US T-Mo Blackberries through T-Mo without any problem. All you need to do is email to the unlock email address or have a CS rep fillout the request for you. They may require that you have service with them for a certain period of time if you're new or just renewed but that's it. No charge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parvenu
Will i be able to use the unlocked 8700g with Cingular.
Yes. That would be the point of getting it unlocked.

Last edited by takeshi; 03-31-2006 at 01:42 PM..
Old 04-03-2006, 09:23 AM   #65
bigdongers
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parvenu
Will i be able to use the unlocked 8700g with Cingular. Im with verizon now, using a 7130e. I dont like the layout and I just want a BB with a qwerty keyboard. I could always get the 8700c, but to have a black unbranded 8700g would set me apart(too many ppl in NY). I'm a newbie, I need help!
As long as your network is GSM 850/900/1800/1900mhz (any of them), the 8700g will work. The 7130e is CDMA if Im not mistaken so you will need to get a GSM service to use the 8700g
Old 04-03-2006, 12:34 PM   #66
muskiemania
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: tmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by shona67
Just got off from T-Mobile phone (@11:45am). Here is the quick message.

"The device should be aviable in retail stores by April 15th but will be not be available for an upgrade until around July/August/September 2006 (T-Mobile Handset Upgrade Program). The retail store, it will be $399.99 right now when it first comes out."
Sure makes me think twice about waiting...$300 more bucks or three more months...im going mad here.
Old 04-03-2006, 03:27 PM   #67
aphr0deity
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700g
Carrier: T-Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi
Where are you getting this from? I've unlocked multiple US T-Mo Blackberries through T-Mo without any problem. All you need to do is email to the unlock email address or have a CS rep fillout the request for you. They may require that you have service with them for a certain period of time if you're new or just renewed but that's it. No charge.
I agree. I've been a T-Mobile customer for a long time and I believe they have a 90 day requirement before they will unlock your phone; but they will do it. I'm opening up a second account with them for the 8700 but I'm going to try to get it unlocked before the 90 days, seeing as how my old account will still be in use and still open, and that phone isn't unlocked at all.

From what I've heard, T-Mobile has the least stringent unlocking policies.
Old 04-03-2006, 03:38 PM   #68
nb_mitch
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

I sent a broken BB to Canada and my buyer got hit with $50 in duties and tarriffs on a item that was listed for insurance purposes as $75. Be careful when selling across country lines, it may cost more than you think.
Old 04-03-2006, 07:57 PM   #69
bigdongers
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by nb_mitch
I sent a broken BB to Canada and my buyer got hit with $50 in duties and tarriffs on a item that was listed for insurance purposes as $75. Be careful when selling across country lines, it may cost more than you think.
Well so far so good. The first few buyers got theirs with no additional duty. Good point though.
Old 04-04-2006, 03:14 AM   #70
PaulOckenden
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: TMo UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody
BTW re: the unlocking cost for 8700g's purchased from TMo ...
Dunno whether Oz is the same, but TMo 8700gs purchased here in the UK are currently arriving unlocked. Or rather, the prosumer version is - not sure about the BESless one.

Oh - that's an important point. BBs purchased in the US can generally be run either with BES or BIS/BWC. Outside of the US a "consumer" device is often cut down, and doesn't have things like Enterprise Activation available.

So, if you're in the US and want to use an overseas supplied BB with BES, make sure that you get the right version.

P.
Old 04-04-2006, 04:19 AM   #71
bigdongers
Thumbs Must Hurt

The Aussie units are compatible with both BES and BIS. They have the enterprise activation icon on the device.

I find it strange why they would sell the same device with different software for BIS and BES though...
Old 04-04-2006, 04:23 AM   #72
PaulOckenden
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: TMo UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdongers
I find it strange why they would sell the same device with different software for BIS and BES though...
Me too. Maybe there's a saving on some 3rd party licensing costs or something? Dunno, but I agree that it's odd.

But it has certainly caught out a few US "early adoption" buyers who've imported devices not realising that these two versions (consumer and prosumer) exist.

P.
Old 04-04-2006, 12:36 PM   #73
hfunkytown

I would assume that the 8700g from Aus will work on T-Mo US EDGE network?
Old 04-04-2006, 03:47 PM   #74
anthonymoody

hey big D, don't suppose the price has dropped any?

TM
Old 04-04-2006, 04:20 PM   #75
Marcos
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7250

I finally got my up and running last night on T-Mobile. left verizon's service, ported over number. I love the phone. Everything is excellent, and I highly recommed this seller to anyone. You won't be dissapointed. By the way, I have a 1 month old verizon 7250 up for sale...?
Old 04-08-2006, 12:24 AM   #76
maw1969

Model: 7290
Default How do I get one

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdongers
I am from Australia and we have the unbranded 8700g's here now. How much would you guys be willing to pay for it? If the price is right, I would be willing to set up some for sale on Ebay and ship them to the US.
How can I get one, like yesterday. What is the price for an unlocked version
Old 04-08-2006, 11:27 AM   #77
rainn

Model: 8700c

O man...didn't realise this. I just picked one up from eBay BNIB at just over $300 CAD. I know I got a good deal in stand alone price, but now that it may not have BES...
I wonder if this can be enabled somehow? Is it a hardware issue?
Old 04-08-2006, 12:24 PM   #78
DuckWingDuck
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8700g
Carrier: TMO

International flavor BBs come in a couple different version as you found out. The non-BES enabled version of the BB cannot be BES enabled as far as I'm aware.
Old 04-08-2006, 01:48 PM   #79
jnelson2000

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckWingDuck
International flavor BBs come in a couple different version as you found out. The non-BES enabled version of the BB cannot be BES enabled as far as I'm aware.
All you would need to do is contact the provider and give them the PIN. They can delete the Prosumer (BIS) account, if it exists. If the phone has never been registered, then you would have no problem doing an enterprise activation.

The hardware is 100% the same, so do the above and it will work just fine for you.
Old 04-08-2006, 02:59 PM   #80
rainn

Model: 8700c

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnelson2000
All you would need to do is contact the provider and give them the PIN. They can delete the Prosumer (BIS) account, if it exists. If the phone has never been registered, then you would have no problem doing an enterprise activation.

The hardware is 100% the same, so do the above and it will work just fine for you.

Thanks brother. Makes my purchase sweet again!
Closed Thread