Really? Bastards!!!
Old 04-11-2006, 05:27 PM   #22
yunone
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8310
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry
Actually, AT&T Wireless *never* unlocked their BBs. When they became Cingular, the practice simply continued.

this is incorrect....Blue never unlocked their devices, now with Cingular<orange> there is a policy to not unlock any RIM devices, but the twist is they will if you fit into one of the previously posted requirements. One of my previous posts has the Cingular policy.... How do i know this? because mine was unlocked from Cingular...
Old 04-11-2006, 05:28 PM   #23
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Yup. Awful from day one. In the beginning Cingular sold all their "international" BBs unlocked. It was great. Continued until after they bought AT&T Wireless. Then they started locking them.
Old 04-11-2006, 05:29 PM   #24
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by yunone
this is incorrect....Blue never unlocked their devices, now with Cingular<orange> there is a policy to not unlock any RIM devices, but the twist is they will if you fit into one of the previously posted requirements. One of my previous posts has the Cingular policy.... How do i know this? because mine was unlocked from Cingular...
So you were able to get Cingular to unlock an AT&T Blackberry for you. Fascinating.
Old 04-11-2006, 05:31 PM   #25
yunone

no, i dont believe thats what i typed. I typed Cingular will not unlock blue devices, they will unlock orange devices
Old 04-11-2006, 05:34 PM   #26
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

I never posted that Cingular would not unlock devices.

"Actually, AT&T Wireless *never* unlocked their BBs. When they became Cingular, the practice simply continued" - Cingular will not unlock AT&T Wireless BlackBerrys. That was what I meant.

Yes, Cingular will unlock Cingular BlackBerrys. But they will not unlock AT&T BlackBerrys. That practice continued.
Old 04-11-2006, 05:36 PM   #27
yunone

great, now everyone is on the same page, now addressing the original posters concern, yes his device can be unlocked from cingular if he qualifies or meets one of the policies i posted earlier.... i still dont get why cingular says they wont unlock RIM BB devices and then goes onto say how to get your device unlocked.... Must be a lot of republican policymakers at cingular
Old 04-11-2006, 08:18 PM   #28
ChrisUtley
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700g

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfaz1
And, by the way, no need to get all worked up. I have had the same thing happen to me and dealt with it.
You are brave soul. If only we could all be strong like you.

Last edited by ChrisUtley; 04-11-2006 at 08:23 PM..
Old 04-11-2006, 09:27 PM   #29
astcell
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7750

Why do they even lock the devices. As long as you pay your bill each month what do they care.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:04 PM   #30
coreyg510
BBF Veteran

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular

Its another way for the providers to make their money
Old 04-11-2006, 11:03 PM   #31
tfaz1

Model: 8700g
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisUtley
You are brave soul. If only we could all be strong like you.
Chris, is that really your first and only post in the forum or are you just hiding behind a new handle? It's just that picking a fight seems like an odd way to start your membership here at BlackBerryForums.

I guess my comment must've really had an effect on you. So much that you went through the entire registration process just give me a good piece of your mind. At any rate, I look forward to more pertinent contributions from you in the days to come.

To defend my comment... When I see exclamation points, I am trained by my years of study to think the author is conveying urgency. When I see four in a row, this says emergency to me. All I meant to point out was that not being able to unlock your stinking BlackBerry is hardly an emergency. If someone thinks it is, then they need much more help than any cell phone, PDA or the like can provide.

So yes, you're right. I hope you are strong like me in this regard. It would be a sad state of affairs if you aren't.
Old 04-12-2006, 09:11 AM   #32
saitoh
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfaz1
Chris, is that really your first and only post in the forum or are you just hiding behind a new handle? It's just that picking a fight seems like an odd way to start your membership here at BlackBerryForums.

I guess my comment must've really had an effect on you. So much that you went through the entire registration process just give me a good piece of your mind. At any rate, I look forward to more pertinent contributions from you in the days to come.

To defend my comment... When I see exclamation points, I am trained by my years of study to think the author is conveying urgency. When I see four in a row, this says emergency to me. All I meant to point out was that not being able to unlock your stinking BlackBerry is hardly an emergency. If someone thinks it is, then they need much more help than any cell phone, PDA or the like can provide.

So yes, you're right. I hope you are strong like me in this regard. It would be a sad state of affairs if you aren't.
lol

The AT&T policy is unreasonable, to say the least. I was really looking forward to being able to use my phone overseas later on..

Just to clarify then, if Cingular cannot unlock it, then neither can gsmphonesource or any of those other unlocking services?
Old 05-01-2006, 10:23 AM   #33
txschafers
Thumbs Must Hurt

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer95
Ref18, did you call the international support line and tell them that you are travelling to Europe for a while and need to have a Euro phone SIM? I got mine from them in no time. Here are my notes below:

Subject: Cinglar unlock

International Customer Service (800-335-4685)
1 Insert Cingular SIM or other into device
2 Power phone on and Turn off the radio (Turn Wireless Off option) VERY IMPORTANT.
3 Select “Options”
4 Scroll down and select “SIM Card”
5 Type “MEPD”
6 Type “MEP2”
7 Enter the Unlock Code
XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX

8 Press enter
9 Reboot device. Device is now unlocked.

Best of luck.
I have my unlock code from Cingular but am confused on the process. I did steps 1 - 4 but when I select SIM Card I see Seciruty disabled. I have an ID which has a 20 digit number in it. Below that is my phone number. How do I enter the MEPD text sicne it does not show anywhere when I type it?
Old 05-01-2006, 11:06 AM   #34
txschafers
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by txschafers
I have my unlock code from Cingular but am confused on the process. I did steps 1 - 4 but when I select SIM Card I see Seciruty disabled. I have an ID which has a 20 digit number in it. Below that is my phone number. How do I enter the MEPD text sicne it does not show anywhere when I type it?
I think it worked. When I clicke don SIM Card I jusy typed MEPD and the screen display changed. I typed in MEP2 and it asked me for the code. I entered it and the response was accepted. I rebooted and the phone is still working. How do I verify it is truly unlocked? Is there any way other then putting in a non-Cingular SIM Card?
Old 05-01-2006, 11:35 AM   #35
ian_718

hey how long did it take you to get your bb unlocked???

i just got 1 ystrday and already wan to jump thru the phone and choke the ppl @ cingular
Old 05-01-2006, 11:39 AM   #36
justin.culp
CrackBerry Addict

Model: SOLD
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by txschafers
I think it worked. When I clicke don SIM Card I jusy typed MEPD and the screen display changed. I typed in MEP2 and it asked me for the code. I entered it and the response was accepted. I rebooted and the phone is still working. How do I verify it is truly unlocked? Is there any way other then putting in a non-Cingular SIM Card?
In the SIM options, type MEPD and if the network does not say ACTIVE...you are unlocked.

Old 05-01-2006, 02:24 PM   #37
txschafers
Thumbs Must Hurt

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin.culp
In the SIM options, type MEPD and if the network does not say ACTIVE...you are unlocked.
all of mine say disabled so I guess I am unlocked....YIPEEEEE!!
Old 05-01-2006, 02:26 PM   #38
txschafers
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian_718
hey how long did it take you to get your bb unlocked???

i just got 1 ystrday and already wan to jump thru the phone and choke the ppl @ cingular
I called and made the request and received the unlock code 2 days later. I have been a Cingular Blue ( now Orange ) customer for over a year so I am sure that helped. they can also see from my phone usage that I travel alot internationally. Was actually pretty painless.
Old 05-01-2006, 09:10 PM   #39
ian_718

thanks TX.. but im not a cingular customer. i just have the phone.

but that customer service they have is insane. i cant belive it. espically @ this day and age !

****ing insane to me
Old 05-01-2006, 09:13 PM   #40
ericf

Model: 7100t

Quote:
Originally Posted by ref18
Well it seems I've bought an expensive paperweight.

Cingular refuses to unlock it, GSMPhoneSource.com doesn't have a code for it.

I'm not sure what I should do, any suggestions?
DONT GIVE UP>>>>>

I also have one but have TMobile service......I called the number listed below for intl cust care at cingular and told them i paid FULL retail price for it. They made me send in a receipt and some other things.......about 2 weeks later I got an email with the unlock code (after i was ready to give up as I also tried gsmphonesource etc and they couldnt get the code either).

It just took a lil while, but WORTH THE WAIT!!
Closed Thread