Closed Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 09:26 AM   #1
daggeradmin

Model: iphon
Carrier: Bell
Default Need clarification for BES installation

Please Login to Remove!

Hello:

I am relatively new when it comes to administering BES and installs the server itself. We have just had a switch over from a NT/5.5 Exchange server to Small Business Server 2003. I need to re-install the BES 3.6 we have in order to get the blackberries to work again. We only have 5 users who are using BB in our network.

I am planning to reinstall the BES on Windows 2000 Adv server which is difference from the SBS. I was reading the BES manual (book) that I need to install Exchange Management Tools. According to the manual, in order to install the Exchange Management Tools, I will need to have the following done on the W2K server:

-open port 3101 on SBS
-install Admin.pak
-have IIS running
-NNTP started
-SMTP started

I was wondering which admin.pak am I support to install ...admin.pak 2000 or admin.pak 2003 since it's going to be communicating to SBS 2003. Or would I have to install admin.pak at all?

Thanks,

Helen
Old 04-16-2006, 11:09 AM   #2
BBTechGuy
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7100
Carrier: T-Mobile

Doesn't Windows 2000 Adv server already have administrative tools installed?
Old 04-16-2006, 12:45 PM   #3
amukhey
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700

Not necessarily, It may either be unselected from the taskbar properties or you may need to install it...Why dont you just build a 2003 Server, Install 3.6 and upgrade to BES 4.0?

But as far as the checklist above, once you have all of it set, you are good to go.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:27 AM   #4
CanuckBB
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9900
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBTechGuy
Doesn't Windows 2000 Adv server already have administrative tools installed?

It's the Exchange admin tools that you need. They are usually installed by putting the Exchange CD in the server and selecting only the Management Tools. I don't think you can do that with SBS. Though I believe that all you need is MAPI.DLL and CDO.DLL. You could copy them and register them on the BES.
Old 04-17-2006, 08:45 PM   #5
BBTechGuy
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7100

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckBB
It's the Exchange admin tools that you need. They are usually installed by putting the Exchange CD in the server and selecting only the Management Tools. I don't think you can do that with SBS. Though I believe that all you need is MAPI.DLL and CDO.DLL. You could copy them and register them on the BES.
The original post noted that adminpak was a requirement for Exchange Manager.

The BES will also need more than just the mapi32.dll file.
Old 04-18-2006, 07:52 AM   #6
ronag
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Curve
Carrier: Rogers

I'm in a similar situation....I arrived at work to a dead BES (I knew it was coming...old box..etc)

I'm vaguely aware of the requirements from the first install a few years ago, and my main concern was the CDO.dll file. Do I just need to get the most current version, or is the version somehow related to which version of exchange we are using? (Exchange 2003)

We're using BES 3.6 (probably not worth the upgrade $$ for 3 people to move to 4.1), would it be best to have it up and running before applying any/all service packs etc.?

Also, can I just build up a new box, install the BES (config etc) and be up and running, or is there anything I have to worry about because we "had" a BES previously?? I'm hoping that because the BES connects to Exchange to do its thing, there isn't anything I have to deal with as a result of having a BES on our network before.

Thanks in advance!
Closed Thread