Closed Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 12:16 PM   #41
jtor
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9800
PIN: T a day if I ever get out of here
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

I can confirm that my rep has reported the same information to me. EVDO tethering of the 7250 at no additional cost.
Old 05-08-2006, 02:52 PM   #42
psuwtb

Model: 9000

Thanks guys. Are either of you currently using EVDO (or 1X) tethering right now? If so, are you using the Sprint connection manager or manually?

Thanks,

Bill
Old 05-08-2006, 03:08 PM   #43
fsnertz

Model: 7250
Default Tethering works here.

I was directed here to download this package. #777 didn't work for me, but this does!

Google this term:
Sprint_PCS_Connection_Manager.msi
You will eventually find a link to the software.

DSLReports says I'm connecting at 66kbps with my 1X connection.

But I'm still connecting at 1X - I've been on the phone literally all day with Sprint EVDO folks trying to resolve my lack of EVDO problem. I too am a victim of the dreaded *2 Activation Unsuccessful, and no, you can't have a PRL update phenomenon.
Old 05-09-2006, 08:00 AM   #44
fsnertz

Default 1XEV Detroit Update

I printed the post from Justin@Sprint above and highlighted the pertinent instructions.

Armed with it, I visited another tech-manned Sprint store in the Detroit area. I folded up the page and provided it to the rep with the 7250.

About a half-hour later, the unit came back to me, with a bright, gleaming 1XEV in the upper right corner!

As was paraphrased to me by the lobby rep, the tech read the letter, looked up Justin's phone and tried to call but got his VM; but trusting that I was on the right track, the tech contacted one of his off-duty co-workers who *had* solved the 1XEV 7250 mystery, and he *did* know how to execute the procedure and provided the instructions over the phone. I don't know exactly what those instructions were, but a quick *HELP# revealed the PRL was now at 20212, and the icon read 1XEV.

I immediately went to my car, plugged the 7250 into my laptop, started up the Sprint Connection Manager software, and ran the mobile speed test at dslreports.com/mspeed. At 1X, I was getting 66kbps. With 1XEV, I got 350kbps.

I want to thank the various Sprint Blackberrry/Business reps who took me at my word and didn't try to fleece me. But most importantly, I want to thank Justin for a frank and honest posting that gave me the credibility I needed with the reps to encourage them to get the job done right. You are an asset to Sprint - they've kept another customer specifically because of your candor!

-b
Old 05-09-2006, 12:59 PM   #45
psuwtb

Unfortunately, I have been trying to use the Sprint PCS Connection Manager to tether my Blackberry to my laptop but have not had any luck. I have tried this setup on two different laptops checking both times to ensure that my firewalls and all other network connections were disabled. I downloaded the latest Spring PCS Connection Manager (version 3.01.021) and noticed the program connecting to my Blackberry (xxx8220;modem modexxx8221;) but it fails with the error xxx8220;unable to connect. Dial-up networking error #678 has occurred. The remote computer did not respond. For further assistance search the Windows help and support center for this error number.xxx8221; Do you guys have standard business accounts? Any ideas of what could be wrong?

Thanks,

Bill
Old 05-09-2006, 01:57 PM   #46
hackorsack
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: Sprint

I am having the exact same issue. I am running 4.1.0.273 and PRL 20219. I have had EVDO for about a month, but just tried tethering last night.
Old 05-09-2006, 02:52 PM   #47
psuwtb

Hackorsack--

Just as an FYI, I'm running the exact same S/W version and PRL.
Old 05-10-2006, 07:53 AM   #48
hackorsack
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700

I continue to have issues trying to get my EVDO PRL updated from 20219 to 20222 or 20221 (whichever is the latest). I called to have my account flagged and now whenever I call in, it says it is successful, but I think get the Activation Unsuccessful message when I hangup. I want to get this new PRL as I hope it will help me with my tethering issues....
Old 05-10-2006, 08:07 AM   #49
bnandreu
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630

I'm 100% set on 1XEV and tethering. I spoke to a Sprint CS person yesterday and was told that tethering is part and parcel of the unlimited BB plan. $39.99
Old 05-10-2006, 01:56 PM   #50
robber
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackorsack
I continue to have issues trying to get my EVDO PRL updated from 20219 to 20222 or 20221 (whichever is the latest). I called to have my account flagged and now whenever I call in, it says it is successful, but I think get the Activation Unsuccessful message when I hangup. I want to get this new PRL as I hope it will help me with my tethering issues....
I would not worry too much about this. There is no way that the PRL is going to have anything to do with tethering issues.
Old 05-10-2006, 03:46 PM   #51
strobate
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700g

PRL updates are difficult for 6700s to get too. Just keep trying. Also, PRL's only containing tower roaming information and won't affect tethering. If you can get service with your BB and can't tether, the update won't have any effect.
Old 05-10-2006, 03:49 PM   #52
robber
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by strobate
PRL updates are difficult for 6700s to get too. Just keep trying.
You can say that again! I bet you I have hit *2 close to 400 times in the last month. My 7250 is not going ot get updated OTA!
Old 05-11-2006, 03:40 PM   #53
KMK

I just got back from my third visit to the downtown Seattle Sprint store and as usual, it was a blood-pressure-raising experience. The first tech said there would be a $15 charge, then she checked in back and said they couldn't do it anyway since they don't do PDAs. I asked her to read Justin's email and she basically refused, saying she had to go by what her tech was telling her. I asked to speak to the manager who was echoed what the tech said but at least he offered to email Justin and look into it. We'll see...
Old 05-12-2006, 08:12 AM   #54
hcheun
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMK
I just got back from my third visit to the downtown Seattle Sprint store and as usual, it was a blood-pressure-raising experience. The first tech said there would be a $15 charge, then she checked in back and said they couldn't do it anyway since they don't do PDAs. I asked her to read Justin's email and she basically refused, saying she had to go by what her tech was telling her. I asked to speak to the manager who was echoed what the tech said but at least he offered to email Justin and look into it. We'll see...

KMK

Sorry to hear that, I know how you feel. I usually don't liek going to the sprint store that much with my blackberry, because i get the similar responses about how they don't repair, or they are "ill equipped" to fix my blackberry or pda phone. I remember one time my update on a revision to my blackberry screwed up, and the tech came out and said "we have to send it in" and i said BS! and spoke to the manager. I had to wait for one of his other techs, who knew a little bit more, to tinker with it, till i just got frustrated and stormed out, and just called the sprint tech support which was more helpful. I swear sometimes they just hire some of the lamest techs and give the lamest speeches . No wonder their customer service has gone down.

In any case, to add to everyone else's tethering issue, i have not been able to get mine to work, and I have the unlimited BB plan. I get the similar 678 error.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:51 AM   #55
fsnertz

Default Remember: The more earballs, the better

I really do attribute my success with 1XEV and tethering to the fact that I got in the face of as many faces as possible. I even visited multiple tech-staffed Sprint Corporate stores, and simply politely said Thank You and ignored and walked away from the advice I knew to be wrong.

Heck, Sprint steered me to (and I talked at length with) a *Blackberry* corporate rep who *insisted* that the 7250 would never have its EVDO capability enabled, and tried to steer me toward a GSM solution provider. He was nice and friendly, but simply wrong.

Sad, because a know so many of us don't have the option of multiple locations to visit.

Sprint is an elephant, and its employees are a lot of blind men. The metaphor works.

I could not be more certain that the 7250 has a problem with its OTA PRL update mechanism, and that only an over-the-wire update will bypass the problem.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:56 AM   #56
fsnertz

Default Tethering make-sures

(1) Start with a clean reboot - do not start the Sprint ICS software yet. Plug in the BB.
(2) Be sure the BB Device Manager is up and running in the tray
(3) Be sure you see a new "Standard Modem" on a virtual COM port once the Device Manager is up
(4) Be sure you successfully get a response back from the Standard Modem when you check the modem Diagnostics (ATI1...ATI8)
(5) Now start Sprint ICS

Though I've been successful with tethering, getting the device to work exactly right is a black art. Things are its worst when I've tried to come on after being in Hibernate or Standby mode.

Just my $0.02.
Old 07-19-2006, 05:47 PM   #57
dylan

Default 1XEV success on 7/19

Hi All,

First post, nice to be able to start with good news.

I was able to get EVDO today (7/19/2006) after over a month of trying. I had similar problems to others i.e. PRL update over the air wasn't working, multiple tech people unaware of the EVDO PRL, techs unable to OTW PRL update my phone, hours on hold with support.

In the end, what worked was having my account de-provisioned and then re-provisioned, wait 3 hours, re-register on the wireless network, followed by a call to support to have my acct flagged for a PRL update and a subsequent successful PRL update.

More details:

First off, i have an unlimited data, and requested EVDO, I requested PAM (phone as modem) and had gotten tethering working without Sprint's connection manager but only at 1X speeds.

So the next steps were to try to get EVDO working (since I was apparently paying for it!).

I had installed the latest firmware (4.1.0.273) and had updated my BBerry desktop manager.

So things I tried (that didn't work):
  • battery out/in
  • resending service books
  • resetting to factory default
  • options -> network -> start provisioning (many many times, with and without power cycles)
  • many many (50+) calls to *2 - note on this, only once did I get the "we note you have a software update..." but it didn't take. subsequent calls never got me to this stage again until I had been de-reprovisioned.
  • Went to multiple stores trying to get my PRL updated over the wire (OTW). This was very frustrating since it seemed that Sprint has been pretty bad about getting their Tech's up to speed on blackberries in my area (SF Bay).
  • Some wouldn't touch it as they were "worried they would fry it"
  • some insisted that the 7250 wouldn't support EVDO
  • some tried to OTW update and couldn't get it to work (thanks for trying at least!)
  • and none of them had the slightest idea about a separate EVDO PRL (I can assure you, prior to my update I was at 10028 and post I am at 20222 according to a #HELP*)

I had pretty much given up, but when I called *2 and noticed that Sprint had changed their IVR (interactive voice response) system to include Blackberry Treo support I gave it a whirl. Glad I did.

Hope that helps someone out there.

Cheers,

-Dylan
Old 07-19-2006, 10:20 PM   #58
robber
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thanks for the post. I was able to update recently as well.

It seems as thjough sprint deployed a new prl system a few months back that caused all of these issues. Once they repaired the system- everything worked as it should.

This was holding back the treo and ppc users as well.
Old 08-26-2006, 12:42 PM   #59
ChickenBreath

Smile Finally Updated Sprint Prl On 7250

I have updated my PRL on my 7250 with Sprint (after many wild goose chases). Here's my advice:

1) Dial *2
2) Say "Data". This will take you to data support personel. If it fails (drops your call as it did me a few times) keep trying until you finally get to the human being.
3) Tell them "I want to have my account flagged for a PRL update to version 20223". Replace 20223 with whatever the current 20000 series PRL is.
4) They will try to convince you that you don't need it. They told me "this only improves roaming with some new agreements with Oklahama providers" or some such nonsense. WRONG! It does much more if you have a 10000 series PRL. I could _NOT_ get 1XEV with a 10000 series PRL. PERIOD.
5) They will then try to sell you some new service. Don't.
6) You might also tell them to enable "Phone As Modem" on your account as long as you have them on the line (assuming your plan provides this). Mine was NOT on by default even though it was on my plan. You will not be able to tether to your laptop without PAM turned on.
7) Hang up and call *2 again. It should tell you that you have a free update available. Wait and let it update. If it fails try calling again. Mine took a couple tries before it worked.
8) You may need to power-cycle the blackberry. When it comes back on you should have 1XEV indicated (if you are in a supported area).
9) ENJOY. TETHERING AT 1XEV IS A BEAUTIFUL THING.
Closed Thread