Old 05-08-2006, 11:30 AM   #161
sm1th
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: O2

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibi
it's not a bug. it takes the banner and places it as the footer. this was by design. for generic banners, it really doesn't appear to be an issue, however with full-screen wallpapers, you may think it to be a cosmetic bug/issue.
OK. Well, I'm kind of relieved then.
Old 05-08-2006, 11:35 AM   #162
gadgetfanatic
No longer Registered.

Model: iFon4
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm1th
I've found a serious display bug. Try making a phone call...you'll notice that an 8th of the top of the screen has been misplaced to the bottom. This happens no matter what theme you use.
How could this "feature" ever be mistaken for a bug?
Old 05-08-2006, 11:49 AM   #163
sm1th
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetfanatic
How could this "feature" ever be mistaken for a bug?
Try using a custom wallpaper. Also, .284 never did this.
Old 05-08-2006, 12:04 PM   #164
nosidam
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm1th
Try using a custom wallpaper. Also, .284 never did this.
My .284 Zen theme does this. Other themes do not (at least for me).
Old 05-08-2006, 12:20 PM   #165
sm1th
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosidam
Yeh, that's what got me confused. I never used Zen for .284, and all the themes didn't do that.
Old 05-08-2006, 12:34 PM   #166
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosidam
If the theme has a banner (where your signal, battery, etc. counters are) that is solid with no transparency, then when you go to the Phone application that portion will remain up top. When you make a call, that banner (320x76, roughly) will push to the bottom.

Now, what you all are probably not used to is the themes that add levels of transparency to the banner. This can be viewed in any of the Dimension themes, including Zen, and some custom-made themes (just depends on the author). When this happens, you have a bit of the set wallpaper/background now appearing as part of the banner (due to the transparency of the banner overlay). When this happens, the same process happens when dialing a number and whatever the 320x76 at the top is will now appear at the bottom.

This has been happening since I can remember, dating back to OS 3.8.
Old 05-08-2006, 02:01 PM   #167
allenranger2

Model: 8700g

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liv
Gah, okay - is it just me or did this OS upgrade make the battery life worse?

It seems that my battery drains much faster with this OS. Not sure though.
I've noticed this as well...and here all along I thought it was only me. Back to Bharti. Thank you, come again! Lol (that's a joke).

BB 8700g & 9000 Bold AT&T
Old 05-08-2006, 03:48 PM   #168
david482
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
Carrier: cingular

Just updated from Bharti and although others have mentioned that the Zen shows the app names mine has not changed. It may be that all my settings stayed and I have not switched themes yet. I may try the vodaphone and if the names appear when I switch back I'll post again. So far it seems faster????
Old 05-08-2006, 05:23 PM   #169
spblat

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mo
Default Radio trouble?

In the week since I installed 4.1.0.309 I've had to reboot once or twice. Symptom: "EDGE" indicator lit as normal, but none of my apps get data. Google Maps and Browser for example can't connect, and I get no new messages in my inbox. Then I either hard reboot or turn wireless off then on, and the logjam is broken.

Anyone else experiencing this? Do we think this is a) a T-Mo issue unrelated to 309; b) a bug or incompatibility in the Telstra code; or c) who knows?
Old 05-08-2006, 05:41 PM   #170
jibi
BlackBerry God

For anyone with an issue such as yours (network, bluetooth, etc) that was not present with the stock T-Mobile 4.1.0.280 release, just as a suggestion (I have NOT tried this myself), you may want to reinstall the T-Mobile software (leave the Telstra software installed) and use its radio/platform file in a hybrid installation with the Telstra OS.

- Delete Vendor.XML from C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader (VERY important)

- Go into the T-Mobile installation directory then the GPRS folder and copy the rim8700g.sfi file:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\8700-v4.1.0.284_P2.0.0.120\GPRS

- Go back to the Telstra installation directory and then GPRS folder and rename the current rim8700g.sfi file to rim8700g.old and paste the T-Mobile version in there:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\8700-v4.1.0.309_P2.0.0.133\GPRS

- Open up Desktop Manager then Application Loader; select the second option ("Replace the device's applications...") and click Next - you will notice that the System Software 4.1 has 'Downgrade' next to it

This should give you back the radio/network code from the T-Mobile release while keeping the Telstra OS and all of its wonderful new additions. Again, I have NOT tested this outside of verifying the instructions above (I didn't move on through with the downgrade as I'm not having issues).
Old 05-08-2006, 06:02 PM   #171
allenranger2

I've had this problem...and actually just reinstalled Bharti because of it. Looks like another install on the way. Thanks Jibi for your constant updates.

Old 05-08-2006, 08:45 PM   #172
ahovis
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800c
Carrier: Cingular

I have a question for you BES experts. I have upgraded my 8700c to the new OS but am having trouble with re-activating my device. Enterprise activation fails whenever I try it. My admin says it is showing me setup on the server but still no go. The email is being received by my desktop pc but then it fails after that with no activation. All of this is being done via wireless as I have no desktop connection to the server. Would the update cause this or should I look elsewhere for the problem? (Sorry about the old signature as I have just replaced my 7290.)
Old 05-08-2006, 09:04 PM   #173
jibi
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahovis
I have a question for you BES experts. I have upgraded my 8700c to the new OS but am having trouble with re-activating my device. Enterprise activation fails whenever I try it. My admin says it is showing me setup on the server but still no go. The email is being received by my desktop pc but then it fails after that with no activation. All of this is being done via wireless as I have no desktop connection to the server. Would the update cause this or should I look elsewhere for the problem? (Sorry about the old signature as I have just replaced my 7290.)
did they set a wireless activation password for you or are you using your normal domain password for your account?
Old 05-08-2006, 09:23 PM   #174
ahovis
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800c
Carrier: Cingular

yes, I have an activation password and it is supposed to be ok but I have my doubts. It may be expired. Would this be what I would see if the password is not working? Any way to tell from the cryptic email sent as part of the process? Thanks.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:34 PM   #175
gadgetjunkies

Model: 8820
PIN: Depends which BB I am using

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibi
did they set a wireless activation password for you or are you using your normal domain password for your account?
Same thing happened to me and was told that my PW had to be reset because it was only good for one activation.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:26 PM   #176
jibi
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahovis
yes, I have an activation password and it is supposed to be ok but I have my doubts. It may be expired. Would this be what I would see if the password is not working? Any way to tell from the cryptic email sent as part of the process? Thanks.
If they are on BES 4.0, the password is active for ONE time and only through 48 hours. If they are on BES 4.1, they can set the number of hours, up to 720, that the password is active - again, only one use. For shits and giggles, have them reset the password manually to your name, or have them generate you a new password.

The cryptic email is your handheld trying to communicate with RIM's network with your email address as the activation. There is nothing in there that will tell you if your password has expired or has been used.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:41 AM   #177
El Blackberry
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000

allenranger2, how did you re-install Bharti? I had issues with my Telstra software ie: it would stick with GSM and not go to EDGE, missing browser icons etc... I want Bharti back so any help would be cool! Thanks.
Old 05-09-2006, 01:29 PM   #178
allenranger2

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Blackberry
allenranger2, how did you re-install Bharti? I had issues with my Telstra software ie: it would stick with GSM and not go to EDGE, missing browser icons etc... I want Bharti back so any help would be cool! Thanks.
I went into Windows Control Panel and Add/Remove (removed) the Telstra OS (.309) and was left with the Bharti (.284). I started up my Desktop Manager and App Loader, and it recognized that the only OS remaining on the machine was a downgrade. I backed everything up and proceeded with the "downgrade". That was pretty much it. You can double-check which OS is running by going to Options >> About, and you will see wither 4.10.284 or .309. Others have suggested doing a javaloader wipe on the handheld, but that's not preferred for me personally. I have not noticed network drops since this reinstall.

Is anyone having battery issues? Mine drains like crazy...even after reinstalling. The backlight is set to 10 and goes off every 1 min. I thought it was due to Telstra eating it up, but reverting to Bharti didn't help. Thanks!

Old 05-09-2006, 03:50 PM   #179
dmoffitt
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile

attempting it right now, thx for sharing
Old 05-09-2006, 04:33 PM   #180
kd78

Carrier: Tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by spblat
In the week since I installed 4.1.0.309 I've had to reboot once or twice. Symptom: "EDGE" indicator lit as normal, but none of my apps get data. Google Maps and Browser for example can't connect, and I get no new messages in my inbox. Then I either hard reboot or turn wireless off then on, and the logjam is broken.

Anyone else experiencing this? Do we think this is a) a T-Mo issue unrelated to 309; b) a bug or incompatibility in the Telstra code; or c) who knows?
I have this EXACT issue at least once every few days. I get no data on any apps and no email comes in. My signal shows upper case EDGE. I turn off the wireless and then back on and all of a sudden a huge influx of emails comes in and my browser works properly.

I am using the stock 4.1.0.284 from TMO with the jibi tweak to unlock Zen so it is not an issue that is new to the Telstra release.